Thinking about watercooling...could use some help

dtess17

2[H]4U
i really don't have much knowledge about water set ups, but i'm thinking i might need it for my opty, i think with better cooling i could get it to 3.0ghz

I've been looking at the gigabyte 3d galaxy http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Cooler/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2125&ProductName=GH-WIU01

it looks like it will do a pretty good job, and it will work well with their 3d Aurora case, which i am also looking at.

If that is no good what should i be looking for? I am looking for a kit that is very quiet, but still cools much better than the best air cooler could

Also found this.i heard that corsair makes a water cooling kit... how is that?

Sounds like you wanted what I wanted, but your not going to find a cheapo kit to do that, it is going to either cost you some $$$ or you can do it yourself for fairly cheap.

That thing IMO looks like junk, Why the hell does the waterblock need a fan on it.

The case your looking at getting is O.K. IMO, I personaly like the stacker a hell of alot more.

Your going to need at least a double Radiator if you want extreme cooling and performance and low noise.

I'm not trying to do this on the super cheap, i don't mind spending a few $$ if it nets me better cooling. I am not looking for a DIY kit really, i just want something easy for my first try,

I thought the fan on the waterblock was a good idea because it still keeps the mofsets and regulators cool,

I have access to a older koolance exos 1, I wonder if that is going to be able to cool better than my ninja?

Your Ninja, with the right fans, will perform better than the Gigabyte.

Good water isn't cheap.

ok well i'm looking for cooling that is going to be alot better than the ninja, so what should i be looking at?

Dtess,

I just replaced a Thermalcrap Bigwater SE with a Swiftech Apex Ultra system last night. It took a few hours to do, and the tubing fits a little too snug (really hard to apply over fittings.) But after installing this system I can say that the results are amazing, and I'm very happy with the build of the kit.

With the single radiator of the Thermaltake my Opteron was able to run at 2.9 with dual prime'ing for short periods of time before with the Big Water SE, but then one core would crap out when the temps got close to 63C. So I backed down to 2.6, for everyday use. I would idle at 40 or so and load at 59. I don't know about the Galaxy system, but I tell you this don't go with the Thermaltake stuff. First off, I only ran the Big water for about 5 months and pump crapped out. The factory liquid doesn't cut it and my system died from too much algae I think.

The Swiftech system (with Apogee Waterblock and dual fan radiator) keeps my cpu at 31C idle and 38C load at 2.6GHz. This is just a couple of hours of testing. I tried 2.8GHz with 1.5V and got 33C idle and 38C load (Dual Priming) earlier this morning. This is with my fans at the slowest settings BTW.

Dunno if I'm going to hit the Holy Grail of 3.0, but I at least know that this system is alot cooler than with the Thermaltake single radiator.

IMO, I wish I had forked the $250 for the Swiftech in the beginning, rather than buying a $150 kit. Now I've spent $400 total to get the result that I was originally looking for.

I have a Swiftech kit and never ever will go back to anything else. I am in love with it!
I too had a TT Big Water along time ago but I was running an althon xp on it not a dual core.

I went from running the setup in my sig to the Swiftech Apex Ultra H2O 220 with an MCW60 on my 6800 and my CPU idle dropped from 32C to 28C and the GPU idle dropped from 42C to 33C. The loads dropped from 42C on the CPU to 35C and from 50C on the GPU to 40C.

I attribute this largely to the improvement in radiator size but I'm certain that my 2-80mm rads are as effective or more so than the Tt radiator.

Anyways, I can attest to the performance of the Apex, it's an awesome kit.

Awesome seems as though i finally found a brand people seem to like here.

So i have a few more questions

How loud is the pump and included fan? ( i'm really into keeping computers quiet)
How hard is this kit to install? ( Let's pretend i'm like retarded, because i've never really done any WC)

and finally is there really that big of a difference between the H20-120 Premium and the H20-220 Apex Ultra?

i see the difference in the rads and all, but is it really worth the extra money?

I only plan to cool my CPU, i'm on the quest for the 3.0 opty too, and it's clear i need more cooling to get there.

I'm an experienced watercooler plus I have the perfect (IMHO anyways) case for water cooling and it took me 3 hours to plumb my system. The instructions included with the kit aren't bad but they're more for advanced builders...they do beat the hardcopy included with Danger Den parts. That's easy since hardly anything is included by D.D..

I can point you to a couple of reviews of the kit (mine included) if you want to see exactly what comes with it but needless to say it's complete.

The pump in the 220 is a higher flow pump with native 1/2" support, the fans are moderately loud at 12V but with the included 7V adaptors they're not bad at all. I can't hear them unless my ear is up against them. They also include 5V 4-pin molex adaptors and those fans will run nice and quiet at 5V but you're losing air-flow.

The pump is decently quiet to me but on 3 it's dead silent. This is of course YMMV. I'm 41 and spent many hours doing industrial work plus listening to very loud music so what's loud to you might not bother me.

I do know that the PC P&C 850SSI power supply is louder than the pump or the fans on the Swiftech kit so to me that says that's one heck of a loud PSU. Seriously though, with my pump on 4 and the fans at 7V, all I hear when I fire up my PC is my hard drives spin up.

I'm using an Ultra X2 PSU and it's pretty quiet. So to me the Ultra is good and quiet, a very nice combination.

$BangforThe$ said:
Before you jump on anything I sugjest you look at this .

http://www.xoxide.com/koolance-pc4-1036bk-1kw-case.html

Damn, that's expensive. Personally, having gone the Koolance route myself, I'd say go with the kit instead. The Koolance is nice but if you use anything but their blocks the warranty is void. Same goes for coolant. Besides, if a new high performance block comes out next month you can upgrade your loop with a kit or DIY setup whereas with the Koolance you're still stuck with a legacy part. Not cool.

Trust me, this isn't born out of dislike for Koolance but based on actual experience. Being stuck with a legacy setup sucks if you ever want to expand your horizons.

I spent $400 on my Koolance and got bit by the W/C bug (hard) and ended up selling it for $125. That was an expensive lesson. From now on I'll go with all copper or copper and plastic blocks and DIY style kits. No more all in one units for me.

Well my personnal experiance with Koolance is been very good and we don't use their blocks . I just cleaned and replaced a customers fluid been in use for 2 years and their was no evidence of corrision what so ever . Using their fluid . Also I have never seen in the warranty were its states . If koolance blocks are not used warranty voided. It does say if you don't use their fluids warranty voided.

$BangforThe$ said:
Well my personnal experiance with Koolance is been very good and we don't use their blocks . I just cleaned and replaced a customers fluid been in use for 2 years and their was no evidence of corrision what so ever . Using their fluid . Also I have never seen in the warranty were its states . If koolance blocks are not used warranty voided. It does say if you don't use their fluids warranty voided.

Well, it was there on my Exos 1.

Edit:

From Koolance's site;

Use of unauthorized replacement parts or liquid will void this warranty.

When they say that they're including blocks. It was specific in my Exos documentation.

well that koolance unit is WAY out of my price range.

I had worked with the Exos 1 before, but i didn't see much of a difference between that and the air coolers i was using at the time, so i gave up on it. I've been told overall koolance is really only entery level water cooling.

is it better to get a kit, or should i look into just buying all the parts seperate?

also how much cooling perfomace from getting a 2x 120 rad rather than just a single?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand the situation here.

Justintoxicated said:
Sounds like you wanted what I wanted, but your not going to find a cheapo kit to do that, it is going to either cost you some $$$ or you can do it yourself for fairly cheap.

That thing IMO looks like junk, Why the hell does the waterblock need a fan on it.

The case your looking at getting is O.K. IMO, I personaly like the stacker a hell of alot more.

Your going to need at least a double Radiator if you want extreme cooling and performance and low noise.

the fan is for pwm cooling. Go for a black ice pro II for $35, a polar flo block @ $27 shipped, and as for pump, if you don't mind 120v ac then get a hydor for around $35.

I have the single swiftech rad now and just bought the 2x120 swiftech rad to try to get even lower temps :p

Justintoxicated said:
That thing [gigabyte liquid cooling system] IMO looks like junk, Why the hell does the waterblock need a fan on it.

nope, it was rated best bang for buck according to this artical ,yup gigabyte is a cool company, they really like to tread on new turf.

according to that artical its loud, no good for me, so im going with thermaltake bigwater 745, with vga cooler, and perhalps an extra radiator. all internal, silent, slightly expensive, and professional.

madmat said:
Well, it was there on my Exos 1.

Edit:

From Koolance's site;

When they say that they're including blocks. It was specific in my Exos documentation.
Link please to the product I suggested we are not talking about exos 1 here.

$BangforThe$ said:
Link please to the product I suggested we are not talking about exos 1 here.

Koolance is extremely overpriced for the performance it offers.

dtess17 said:
well that koolance unit is WAY out of my price range.

I had worked with the Exos 1 before, but i didn't see much of a difference between that and the air coolers i was using at the time, so i gave up on it. I've been told overall koolance is really only entery level water cooling.

is it better to get a kit, or should i look into just buying all the parts seperate?

also how much cooling perfomace from getting a 2x 120 rad rather than just a single?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand the situation here.

Sorry about that but when you said $$$ was no problem I posted that link.

This product is 20x better than exos 1

sabrewolf732 said:
Koolance is extremely overpriced for the performance it offers.

We actually need a new thread to discuss this as it takes away from the OP'S post.

But the performance and quality of this unit is second to none. To bad about the noisy pump tho,

$BangforThe$ said:
Sorry about that but when you said $$$ was no problem I posted that link.

This product is 20x better than exos 1

kinda my fault there, i don't mind spending a reasonable amount to get damn fine performace.
i'd say $250-275 cause i still need to get a case too

I guess to really make it clear what i am looking for...

i want a kit that is going to give me very good temps to overclock my opteron. I set up that is going to be somewhat easy to install since i am 100% noob with WC and something that could grow with me for a year or two, so if i decide to cool my SLI cards or if i upgrade to a better proc it will still be able to hande it.

oh pump and such needs to be quiet.

Personally, I would go with an Alphacool kit. They've got them with all sorts of options, including single and dual rads (of the flat tube & fin type, not the coiled kind) and also a difference of pumps: the basic kits use an Eheim compact 600 with a relay that converts it to 12v and another with a DDC and filltank/plexi top.

Here's one kit with a single 120mm fan and no Aluminum parts (the CPU block is nickle plated copper): http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ct_info&manufacturers_id=125&products_id=4532

It ships with 8mm ID tubing and pushfits, but you can easily convert it to 3/8" or higher. Buying the parts seperately is another option for bigger tubing sizes. If you want 3/8" ID and easy use, Koolance sells 3/8" ID compression (screw-on fittings) with G1/4" threads and all of the Alphacool stuff uses G1/4". So does the new Danger Den barbs, so that's an option.

Pooky said:
Personally, I would go with an Alphacool kit. They've got them with all sorts of options, including single and dual rads (of the flat tube & fin type, not the coiled kind) and also a difference of pumps: the basic kits use an Eheim compact 600 with a relay that converts it to 12v and another with a DDC and filltank/plexi top.

Here's one kit with a single 120mm fan and no Aluminum parts (the CPU block is nickle plated copper): http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ct_info&manufacturers_id=125&products_id=4532

It ships with 8mm ID tubing and pushfits, but you can easily convert it to 3/8" or higher. Buying the parts seperately is another option for bigger tubing sizes. If you want 3/8" ID and easy use, Koolance sells 3/8" ID compression (screw-on fittings) with G1/4" threads and all of the Alphacool stuff uses G1/4". So does the new Danger Den barbs, so that's an option.

Danger Den uses BSP 1/4" threads not G 1/4". Big difference.

Corsair's Nautillus is the best choice so fair as for a all in one kit. Swifttech makes a good kit to but I think it cost more. The only downside of the Nautillus is it's use of alu rad instead of copper rad. This will only limit you to use their liquid solution. Which is really no big deal.
However, to avoid the WC bug as one user puts it I suggest you go the DIY route:
Swiftech Storm for CPU for 1/2" ID (although this will restict flow rate I find it a very cappable WB)
Danger Den for GPU for 1/2" ID
10' of 1/2 ID (Inner Diameter) tubing from Tygon
BIX II (you can get a BIX III if you have room for it) Radiator for 1/2" ID
2 or 3 70 CFM Fans or higher
10 plastic snap tube clamps
Laing D5 Pump
Danger Den fill Port so you can create a "T" like
fill syringe
a Y adaptor as it will allow better flow then using a T adaptor.
can be had for less the $300 and you will only need to visit 2 sites to make your purchase.

i am under the impression that the new apogee block is better than the storm. Any truth to this?

also is this black ice rad that much better than the standard rads you see out there?

Also this corsair kit, can it perform on par with higher end water?

dtess17 said:
i am under the impression that the new apogee block is better than the storm. Any truth to this?

also is this black ice rad that much better than the standard rads you see out there?

Also this corsair kit, can it perform on par with higher end water?

The Apogee < storm. It's the truth.

HWLabs Black Ice's are soem of the better radiators. Good stuff.

The Corsair kit, I would think a good high end water setup would demolish it.

http://www.overclockersonline.com/index.php?page=articles&num=360&pnum=7

that is rather impressive.

i guess the Apogee is a win because i am likely to use a lower rate to keep noise as low as i can

well at this point i am leaning towards just getting the apex ultra, seems to be a damn fine kit.

i might do a bit more research into a DIY.

Now my next issue is finding a new case to put all this in.
I'll take suggestions on that too.

Dtess,

The Swiftech was a pain to install in some ways, but worth it. My suggestion to you is to use a little bit of soapy water over the barbs and fittings. It'll help to slip the tubes over. It took me a couple of hours to install properly. You'll also need to extend the radiator out a bit, because the tubes are thick and don't like to flex. You'll also need to have alot of patience, because the pump and things are a bit larger than in other kits.

I'm using a thermaltake Armor case, because it's not expensive and has lots of space for drives and the like. The doors get annoying though.

yeah i've read that it can be a little bit of a pain, and that a little dish soap or dipping the tube in near boiling water makes it work better.

i've looked into those thermaltake cases a few times, overall i just don'e like the look of them. If it comes down to the fact it's the best thing for watercoling i might have to reconsider, but i'm just not impressed.

I'm still looking into the gigabyte #D Aurora, seems like it would do well with a water kit.

what u guys think of corsair coolwater 120? i am plannign on getting that. any input is appreciated

cganesh75 said:
what u guys think of corsair coolwater 120? i am plannign on getting that. any input is appreciated

You're going to get the same answer that's given to everyone. A custom kit will pwn it in the face.

as i mentioned before im really in the same boat as this guy. im hearing tonnes of names that i havnt heard, so please post links... iv seen enough google for today

how much heat does adding graphics card to a loop add?

could the apex handle the cpu plus sli?

Adding a GPU into my setup (oc 7800gt) increased my CPU temps by 1 and 2c (respectively, each core) and my water temp by 1c. Under full load, my temps increased by 4 on each core and 5 in the water.

I'm using a DIY loop with a DD TDX, the Swiftech GPU block and a BIP.2 . About radiators, I can fully run my loop passive (on stock CPU clock) and still play WOW for 4 hrs before my temps get past 55c.

Honestly guys... GO custom:

choose a tube size, and pick your parts around that.

TDX for your CPU (or the Apogee/storm if you want that 1'c difference)
The Swiftech GPU block, or some DD SLI GPU blocks.
Swiftech MCP655 (or any Laing D5) as the pump.
And a new (and totally awesome) HW labs Black Ice Gt.
masterkleer 7/16' tubing (and you dont even need hose clamps!)

Better cooling than anything else in kit form, and probably less expensive. I did it this was, it was my first WC experience. It was easy and straightforward and I get full load temps below 35'c (X2 3800 @ 2.6)

The Aerocool Masstige is a nice BTX-like case that has room for a full 2.120 radiator in the front (and leaves you with 2-3 5.25 bays too). It's in or around 100$.

Back