• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thinking about upgrading

tcamp

n00b
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
40
I've been an AMD fan for awhile, but it seems that they really aren't much of an option atm. I really don't have any problems with my current rigs, but I just built a Intel core2 quad 2TB raid 5 system for a guy at work and it really got me jonesing for an upgrade.

Currently I have an A64 X2 4800, A8N-SLI Premium MB, 8800 GTX, 2 Gigs of corsair and 1TB striped array.

it seems like there's some pretty cool stuff around the bend for both intel and amd, but mostly intel. My current rig is fine but I'm going to need to reinstall windows pretty soon.

What do you guys think? Wait for the new intel processors to drop? Upgrade now?
 
I don't think you'll notice a huge performance boost with an upgrade right now. In fact, I didnt, lol. I built an E6400 (OC'd to 3.6Ghz) system for myself, and ended up giving it to my mom instead, since she was due for an upgrade. I'm waiting for either Yorkfield or Nehalem. I'll most likely build a Yorkfield, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it for myself, lol.
 
Thanks for the reply. *sigh*, I suppose I'll stay where I'm at. Somehow a hardware upgrade makes reinstalling windows more enjoyable :D
 
I agree. Though, you don't have to take my word for it... you could still build, lol.

I threw together another Core2Duo to play with, but this time the E4300. I'm debating whether or not to keep it for a year then give it to my sister, or if I should just give it to her now, lol.

$117 - E4300 @ 3.0Ghz
$65 - MSI P6N SLI-FI (open box)
$65 - 2GB DDR2-667

the rest are old parts I have layin around:
X300HM
500W SP2.0
Lian-Li PC-60
WD2500KS
NEC ND3550A

Its not much faster for the things I do (sadly, I don't game anymore, just multi-task like a mofo), such as media ripping/encoding/editing.
 
Back
Top