Thinking about upgrading and need opinions.

Kc0r8y

n00b
Hi,

I'm considering upgrading the PC in my signature.

I use this PC strictly for gaming. I play a lot of World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2, and COD series.

I was looking at switching over to:

ASUS Sabertooth Motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131665

Intel Core i7-950

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211

12GB G-Skill Ripsaw Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231358

I was also considering the P55 chipset and going that route with a i7 as well but I think x58 is more suited for me and with the issues with the upcoming P67 chipset I think i'll avoid it for now.

My reason for thinking about upgrading is my SSD drive doesn't work well with the 780i chipset. If I install the nvidia chipset drivers my Intel toolbox doesn't see my SSD drive and I also see a hit in performance. I have to select a generic driver for the Intel Toolbox to see the drive properly. I also wanted to see how well the 260s run in a 16x/16x SLi Setup. I hear x58 does SLi much better.

Just looking for opinions.

Thanks

i understand if your want to upgrade because of sata issues. have you got AHCI enabled in your BIOS? the Microsoft 'msahci' drivers aren't that bad.

when you say 'performance hit' what are you talking about? a couple of MB/s for read/write difference or is it bigger (compared to benchmarks from reviews)?

$850 to $900 seems a lot to spend on a socket thats on it's way out.

i think if you can resolve your SSD problem and squeeze a little more out of your q6600, you'll be in a better position to buy into a more current socket (1155, 2011 or AM3+). these sockets aren't far away, 1155 -couple of months, BD on AM3+ around the same time. unless your pc is on it way out, i suggest you hang on for a bit.

If you do decide on the 1366 setup the parts you have chosen are very good..i just love my 1366 rig and with some lowering prices on 1366 parts they can be a very good deal these days...
in no way would you be disappointed with the performance of a 1366 setup....

I can get the board, cpu and memory for a little over $600. That a really good price for an i7, 12GB DDR3 and a Sabertooth board. Thats the only reason i'm considering...a P67 setup in comparison will cost more i'm sure.

if you dont need the memory bandwidth and can wait , price out a p67 setup and see what you think..
as for me i have some need for the bandwidth as i do some video work for a couple of employers...
but ley me tell you this 1366 rig is one fine setup...so stable and runs flawlessly...never crashed or blue screened even when o/clocked to 4.2 but i run a comfortable 3.8 with turbo enabled for my work now..

What frustrates me is that users cannot jump into p67 now, they have to wait an indeterminant amount of time. Also, it seems many p67 boards are early revisions aka lots of bugs to work out.

With 1366 you don't get these issues; but the draws imo include a higher price for very slightly lower per clock performance, more power draw and heat, and the dissatisfaction of knowing there's better around the corner.

It's sickening that right now I want to upgrade even though I just did and that I'm seriosuly considering splurging for 1366.

There are newer boards like the sabretooth that add the goodies of new gen boards though. too bad the prices are still inflated ><.

the water block I currently have will also work on a X58 board as well...

Last edited:
everyone talks about power bill going up but both me and my son run x58/920 o/clocked and my power bill is the same as its been using the previous amd setups 790/955 o/clocked....
and yes the x58 i7s run slightly warmer but all this power consumption/heat imo is bunk...
these systems just flat fly and are very stable platforms...after going triple channel ram i seriously doubt id build a dual channel system again at least for myself...once youve got triple channel and see what its like in memory intensive apps, it would be very hard to go backwards, at least for me....

there is no denying that the x58 platform is mature, plus the argument that you'll be always be waiting for the next big tech bump. however the next new chipsets are only a couple of months away. also if you're still set on 1366, these parts will be cheaper when the new boards are released.

Imho go with a Gigabyte motherboard. Me and others have been having issues with ASUS lately like they are in a rut of just not caring about customers.

I wonder if there will be an update to the X58 chipset. Tri-Channel ram sounds real appealing considering how much of a ram hog windows tends to be.

I have a G73JH ASUS Laptop with an i7, 160 Intel SSD and 8GB of ram and it seems more responsive than my desktop.

Back