Thinking about starting RAID

mhenley

[H]ard|Gawd
For the longest time I have run with single drives, and don't want to go to SSD yet but would like to see some performance increase. I have enough drives to consider RAID, but the dealbreaker would be if I have to install everything from scratch.

Currently, I have 1 WD 1TB black for OS and 1 WD 1TB black for games. I have two more Seagate 7200.12 1TB that are unused. My motherboard is a ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO.

Would it be possible to create a RAID 0 array with the two Seagates, and then image my OS drive onto that array? Would it function as my system does now, but with the increased performance of the RAID 0?

is the system already set to RAID in the bios if yes all you have to do is make the RAID 0 array and clone the disk over, and boot up with raid 0 (disconnect the WD OS drive and you should be able to leave the WD game drive in as you need to so you can un-install the games)

if no system will most likely BSOD soon as it trys to mount the raid 0 array (there are ways to load the driver into windows not sure thought)

Right now I have no active RAID, my SATA ports are set as IDE. I'm wanting to transition to a RAID environment from simple disk. Logically, I want it to be the same as it is now, and hopefully without the hassle of reinstalling. I have access to enough disks for full disk images to be made, I just need to know if it is possible.

Back