Thinking about replacing my 8800GTX...

digitalgunfire

Limp Gawd
But everything I look at tells me it's not really worth it yet.

Right now I'm running an 8800GTX with an E6600 OC'ed to 3ghz. I run at 1920x1200. I've been playing the beta of a game that cannot be named and the frame rate is not wonderful. Granted, a lot of it is probably beta but I've had this rig for a while and figured it was upgrade time.

People seem to be singing the praises of the 4890 but in looking at the benchmarks etc, it doesn't look like I would really gain a lot moving to it.

I guess my short question is - is it even worth upgrading at this point or should I just wait for DX11 cards? I was contemplating picking up an E8500 and OCing it to 4ghz or so and running it with something like a 285GTX - does it make more sense to just wait?

Thanks for any input!

well, a gtx280 will probably give the same performance, give or take, as 2 8800GTX's... so it's really up to you if it's worth it or not.

I went to a GTX260 (core 216) from an 8800GT and the difference was VERY noticable in most games. I was running an overclocked q6600 though so not sure if that made it more apparent since it gave the GPU plenty of headroom in most titles. I wouldn't hesitiate to reccomend one to someone, however, the next generation cards will be out in a few months so waiting might not be a terrible idea

I'm in the same boat as you and I honestly think it's best to wait. My 8800GTX handles just about any game out there well enough for me to still enjoy playing it (I'm the type that loves running everything on the highest even if it causes sacrifices in resolution).

Sure, I would like to have a new card now, but like dr.stevil said, the next generation cards are not far out so it might be worth it to wait. :)

Just wait. You are less than 6 months to new cards, more likely it could be as little as 3 months. You don't seem to be the type to need a new video card every 6 months so I would wait. On the other hand, you could pick up a 260/275 or a 4870 1GB in the 120-150$ range and get a good deal more preformance than your 8800 GTX.

That's sort've what I was thinking, even if I don't buy a DX11 card maybe the 295 will drop in price when they come out. Thanks for the input, think I will stick it out.

Damn, I was running a 7800GTX up until Oct last year, and it couldn't run shit. Amazing what 3 years will do to a $400+ video card that I couldn't even get $50 for in Oct. Spent $240 on a GTX 260 and the difference was fucking amazing. Think im gonna start upgrading my vid card once a year and core system every three years.

I'm in the same boat as you and I honestly think it's best to wait. My 8800GTX handles just about any game out there well enough for me to still enjoy playing it (I'm the type that loves running everything on the highest even if it causes sacrifices in resolution).

Sure, I would like to have a new card now, but like dr.stevil said, the next generation cards are not far out so it might be worth it to wait. :)

for realz. i paid $115 for my 8800GTX a little under a year ago, and let me tell you. it takes EVERYTHING i throw at it. Crysis runs smooth enough for me @ 1920 x 1080 and a mix of high and very high settings. The card also overclocks like a champ which is awesome.

I'm probably not upgrading until prices drop on the NEXT GEN cards, as this 8800GTX has enough horsepower for me.

I don't even feel the drive to upgrade to i7 really, I think I'll probably just pick up an E8500 or something by the end of the year. Hardware has gotten too good lately :p

Not worth it yet, 8800GTX is an amazing card that has lived longer then any card before it. I'm hoping the GT300 cards will live up to the 8800GTX's legacy.

I would wait. I just built my I7 rig and my buddy was letting me use his 8800 GTX till I got my card. I purchased a GTX260 to replace it and honestly I see no difference in gameplay performance. The 8800 GTX ran all the games I play on max with no problems. Games I play are AA3, W@W, Source, Farcry 2 briefly. The 8800 ran all these fine and the 260 runs them all the same. I didn't notice a very big increase in performance if any. I am just going to use the 260 as a PhysX card once DX 11 cards get low enough in price to purchase. May be awhile but that's fine with me.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, too.
I'm probably building an i7 rig later this year and after seeing how good the 8800GTX still is, I don't think I'll end up upgrading until the Nvidia 300 series hits. The new cards are obviously better, but not that much better. I game at 1920x1080 and the 8800GTX does a fine job with almost everything at that res. Sure, it could be better...but I figure that's where the 300 series will come into play. If that gets delayed, I'll just put my 8800GTX into the i7.

hell with it. just wait for the dx12 or dx13 cards. you can never wait too long to upgrade, there is always a reason not to.

I put a Thermaltake duorb on my 8800gtx right out of the box back in 07'. That card can still play whatever at 1680x1050 on high. I'm kinda wondering which game your beta'ing now?

beta of a game that cannot be named

At 1920x1200 it can't max out Crysis or really even come close...especially with AA turned up. I know if you set everything to "very high" and crank the AA, I end up playing a slideshow.
He could be playing something that uses that or a similar engine.

At 1920x1200 it can't max out Crysis or really even come close...especially with AA turned up. I know if you set everything to "very high" and crank the AA, I end up playing a slideshow.
He could be playing something that uses that or a similar engine.

It is UE3 engine. It's not unplayable but my min FPS drops to ~17 or so.

Still, I think it will get better - it just made me think 'maybe this card that is 2 generations old is about ready to get replaced' ;)

Interesting. Usually UE3 games run like melted butter. Whatever it is, I have to assume it either looks amazing or it has one hell of a long view distance.

i bet it's S*****8. If thats the case, my q9550 @3.4 and 8800gtx @1680x1050 can run it @ native res w/ everything on high......great game btw...

i9ts honestly not worth it. I mean, do you need 8xAA and 24x AF? You wont notice a difference between 4 x and 8 x, and anything over 12 or 16x AF is not noticable either. just use the card you have now, wait 6 months to upgrade.

I debated long and hard about replacing my 8800GTX. I eventually got a Radeon 4870x2, and couldn't be happier with it. If you're happy with what you have keep it, but I can say at least for me, the upgrade was bigger than I expected. I haven't found anything that even begins to slow it down.

why dont you just go to best buy and get a new card on the cheap ( they have sweet saales on ocassion). if you like it keep it, if not return, as youre not happy with the product
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Back