Thinking about purchasing a Das Keyboard Professional

I know this one has the inscriptions, but why do they offer no inscription on the keys? What is special about these mechanical keyboards? They sound pretty nifty, but not sure why, heh.

Edit: Apparantly, they are keyboards "that provide tactile and audio feedback making typing a pure joy".

Thats a pretty sweet keyboard, I may get it now that you posted it
2.gif

I just ordered a Deck 82 keyboard from that website...

Anyhow as to if it is worth it to pay that much money for a keyboard with mechanical key switches, I guess that depends on how much you type and if you like the feel of mechanical key switches.

If you have ever typed on one of the old IBM model M keyboards, I'm sure you would really like to re-create that experience. I know I do. I'll have to see what I think of the Deck 82 board which also uses mechanical key switches (and is 99.99 but has awesome back lit keys). Apparently these key switches aren't as tactile as the ones that are being used in the Das Keyboard Professional.

I'm a touch typist (heck, I learned how to type when I was like 6-7 with a blind fold, the only way to learn), I'd probably buy the ultimate without the labels (kind of regretting the purchase of the Deck board now haha). Anyhow, I doubt you can go wrong with this board if you have the money. Most reviews are very positive from what I can see. It is a very well designed board IMHO.

I currently have the G15 and I have to admit, it's pretty much the grand daddy of keyboards in both size and features (except for that optimos prime keyboard with OLED displays LOL). So long, so many keys that I rarely use and I pretty much never look at the LCD display any way. I'm going back to the basics.

Edit: I couldn't help myself. I just ordered a Das Keyboard Ultimate (the one with the blank keys). I figure I can use one of these keyboards for work (probably the Das keyboard). I'll try and chime into this threat once I get my boards.

Yes, it is worth every penny for a mechanical keyboard. They just feel soooooo much better than those mushy membrane keyboards.

Take a look at this before purchasing the Das, it may make you reconsider.
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=909

A cheaper alternative that uses the same keyswitches as the Das (Cherry blue axis) without the design flaws of the Das is a Scorpius M10, but they are known to have some quality control issues. A better option would be to import a Filco keyboard from Japan using a purchasing service such as j-goods or Crescent Shop. Filco keyboards come in a variety of switches including Cherry blues like the Das. It will probably cost a little more (should still be under $200 though), but the quality of Filco keyboards are quite good. Take a look at geekhack.org for more information on keyboards and the various switch types.

My personal favorite switches are Topre capactive switches used in Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2's and Topre Realforce keyboards (I own both, along with a Model M and a few others).

Thank you for all your help!

I'm not fast enough of a typist to notice the Das's flaw. So I'm not to worried about it. I will probably stick with the das, but thanks for pointing that out.

BTW, I've never used a mechanical keyboard before, so I have nothing to compare it to other than membrane keyboards. So anything will be an improvement. ;)

Well I just got my Deck keyboard today. So far it seems pretty good. I guess the mechanical key switches are a bit better than the G15 membrane keyboard. I was able to pick up ~10wpm on a typing test online. I suppose that could be within the margin of error but it seems better.

I can't wait to get the Das keyboard. I'm betting it'll be even better to type on but this Deck keyboard is going to make an awesome gaming board. It really frees up space on my keyboard tray so now I have tons of room for my mouse and whatever else I need.

Oh yea and did I mention the awesome backlit keys. Way better than the G15, plus I like Red so that rocks too.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Das keyboard. Once I get mine, I'm sure I will pop in here and post a quick blurb. I have a hard time believing that there will be anything negative to say about it though. :)

Current DAS has Cherry brown switches. The older generation used Cherry blue, it was an OEM made by Cherry.

A cheaper alternative that uses the same keyswitches as the Das (Cherry blue axis) without the design flaws of the Das is a Scorpius M10, but they are known to have some quality control issues. A better option would be to import a Filco keyboard from Japan using a purchasing service such as j-goods or Crescent Shop. Filco keyboards come in a variety of switches including Cherry blues like the Das. It will probably cost a little more (should still be under $200 though), but the quality of Filco keyboards are quite good. Take a look at geekhack.org for more information on keyboards and the various switch types.

My personal favorite switches are Topre capactive switches used in Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2's and Topre Realforce keyboards (I own both, along with a Model M and a few others).

LOL, why would someone buy the one without inscriptions? Just a "look how leet I am, I don't need inscriptions on my keys!"?

Current DAS has Cherry brown switches. The older generation used Cherry blue, it was an OEM made by Cherry.

rca0007ah2.jpg

Looks pretty blue to me. (Yes, that is the current model. Notice the gloss finish)

LOL, why would someone buy the one without inscriptions? Just a "look how leet I am, I don't need inscriptions on my keys!"?

Not to sound like a jerk or anything but that's pretty much why I bought mine with no lettering. I very rarely ever look down at my keyboard and I figure it's a good conversation piece if anything.

Not to sound like a jerk or anything but that's pretty much why I bought mine with no lettering. I very rarely ever look down at my keyboard and I figure it's a good conversation piece if anything.
Would lettering hurt? And how interesting can a conversation about keyboard letters be?

That's got to be a review sample. The retail version has brown switches.

That picture was taken from here. Its a user review of a retail version of the board. Read around those forums, it is a known fact that the Das III uses Cherry blue switches. Every description of the Das III says its "clicky", but Cherry browns are not "clicky". They are tactile but do not have the audible clicks. And for more proof, heres a link to the OEM for the Das III. http://www.costar.com.tw/products01/info.php?p_id=97&p_sid=32 Notice the part where it says "e) Switch:Cherry MX Switch (Blue System)"

That picture was taken from here. Its a user review of a retail version of the board. Read around those forums, it is a known fact that the Das III uses Cherry blue switches. Every description of the Das III says its "clicky", but Cherry browns are not "clicky". They are tactile but do not have the audible clicks. And for more proof, heres a link to the OEM for the Das III. http://www.costar.com.tw/products01/info.php?p_id=97&p_sid=32 Notice the part where it says "e) Switch:Cherry MX Switch (Blue System)"

That's strange because I was told in kbdmania, the new Das uses brown switches.

MX refers to Cherry's mechanical switches in general, not just blue.
The word MX is embedded in every mechanical switch's part number. Ie., MX1A-G1NN(Brown), MX1A-E1NN(Blue), MX1A-C1NN(White), and so on. Even the linear is known as MX Linear, part number, MX1A-11NN.

That's strange because I was told in kbdmania, the new Das uses brown switches.

MX refers to Cherry's mechanical switches in general, not just blue.
The word MX is embedded in every mechanical switch's part number. Ie., MX1A-G1NN(Brown), MX1A-E1NN(Blue), MX1A-C1NN(White), and so on. Even the linear is known as MX Linear, part number, MX1A-11NN.

Yes I know about the different switches and that the MX label is used for an entire series of Cherry switches (blue, brown, black, white, red -- Cherry also has ML and MY switches), but Costar, the OEM for the Das III, clearly states "Switch:Cherry MX Switch (Blue System)"

Model M's are pretty nice. It has a pretty smooth linear action with a satisfying tactile click, but I find the force required to depress the keys a bit too heavy for my tastes. I find the 45g keys on Topre keyboards to be much more comfortable than the ~70g keys on the Model M, allowing me to type 10~15wpm faster. Of course that is all a matter of preference, I still pull my Model M out from time to time (keeps me from wanting to buy more keyboards by reminding me why I love my Topres so).

I moved from a Cherry keyboard ("w/ white switches") and the difference with the Model M is much more then I thought it would be.

Much more clickier and the force to push down the keys is more, but it really is just a matter of getting use to it. Another thing I have to get use to is the longer spacebar, my older keyboard ended near the N/M key, but with the exclusion of the properties key and windows key, the spacebar extends all the way over to the period. This made my hand sometimes move over to the right a whole key = typing errors, but I've gotten use to the new design and I type much nicer now.

I was questioning if getting the Model M was worth it at the beginning, but now that I'm use to it, I can't even touch my old keyboard now! I thought those mechanical switches were clicky! It is almost a joke now! When I moved from rubber membrane to mech. switches the difference was huge also.

Well I just got my Das Keyboard ultimate. This thing is by far the best keyboard I have ever typed on. Really love the tactile feedback and the keyboard just looks simply awesome on the desk.

I guess the only down side (if you could call it that), is the fact that this thing does seem pretty darn loud to type on LOL! I can't wait to see how my colleagues react when I sneak this onto my desk and replace my cheap rubber membrane board haha. I'll be interested to see how long it takes. I can't see how it would take longer than 30 seconds (if i'm typing) for someone to notice. Haha.

To answer the orriginal poster's question, is it worth the money. I'd say yes, I am very happy with the feel of this board. Granted, I've only been typing on it for ~20 minutes but it's certainly the way to go if you type a lot. Gaming... I think I like my deck better. It lets me get my keyboard and mouse closer together and I think I like the feel of the keys better for gaming. I'm thinking that pressure required to depress the key is a bit low when you are resting your hands on the keyboard. Certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker and I prefer the nice easy feel of this keyboard while typing. It almost seems like it may reduce some of the strain of typing just because of how easy and smooth the keys are to type on.

If you do order one of these boards, enjoy it!

If a keyboard came out like the Das but with quiet keys then I'd be all over it. Finding a good simple quiet keyboard with 6+ n-key rollover is nearly impossible...

I own one. It's worth every penny and then some. The instant you take it out of the box you will realize why you dropped $120 bucks on it. The only downside is it is in fact quite loud when typing continuously, but the way it feels when doing it more than makes up for it.

I like mine. Haha. It's pretty stealth (no flashy lights etc.). Most people at work haven't even noticed it yet. Some people have made comments like, "Wow, your working hard over there.". ROFLMAO!

Only the hardcore techie people or people who have hung out at my desk for a bit have noticed haha. I did have someone come over and make the comment, "Could you get a louder keyboard?". Haha. Most of my co-workers don't seem to be bothered by the additional noise and I love the feeling of this board.

Anyhow, I guess there really isn't too much else to say in this thread. If you have the money, buy it, if not then don't. It's one of the best boards out there if you don't mind the clicky keys. The Deck 82 I am using here at home is much quieter to type on though and I do like the feeling of this board as well, so can't loose with either board IMHO.

Full N-key rollover and its quiet, yet much better than a normal rubber dome (I tested it up to 21 keys, didn't have enough fingers for more) http://benippon.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=12700

Cherry browns are tactile but not clicky, so this board should be relatively quiet. There is a 104 key version of this board with n-key rollover, but this site doesn't have it (6 key rollover). http://benippon.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=15660

They aren't cheap, but they do exist.

Thanks for the links!

Now I'm just trying to find out the difference between the keys. Blue, black, brown, MX, etc. Can they be any more ambiguous (then again, 'normal' people wouldn't care)?

Thanks for the links!

Now I'm just trying to find out the difference between the keys. Blue, black, brown, MX, etc. Can they be any more ambiguous (then again, 'normal' people wouldn't care)?

MX = a line of mechanical switches by Cherry, most commonly used Cherry MX switches are the blues, browns, and blacks.

Blue MX = "clicky" and tactile (clicky as in audible clicks, tactile as in feel of the click)
Brown MX = "soft-tactile" - lightly tactile without the audible clicks
Black MX = linear switches, no tactile bump and the switches make no sound. Heavy springs (unlike the blues and browns which are rather light)

Topre (capacitive) switches = These switches are difficult to describe, so I'll just say that they are very smooth, have a nice feel, and the switches themselves are quiet. These are my favorite switches.

Thanks for spelling that out sayu; that really does help. So the cherry browns are kinda like a compromise between a mechanical keyboard's tactile feel and a membrane keyboard's quietness?

I guess you could put it that way. The switches themselves are quiet, all the noise will come from the sound of the keycaps clacking upon bottoming/topping out. Cheap way to test out Cherry browns is to pick up a Compaq MX-11800 keyboard off ebay.

Can someone else confirm this?

My Model M can accept 8 keys at once just fine, any more and it can only register one-two keys.

Test: http://rollover.geekhack.org/

Try that rollover test using qwerasdf. I'm willing to bet you wont be able to do all 8. My Model M only does 2 (qa, fails qwas).

And almost everyone with a Das III on geekhack noticed the issue with the rollover. Read the thread I posted earlier. They believe it is due to the 12-key rollover the Das claims to have despite USB's 6-key limitation. Other keyboards made by the same OEM as the Das III with only 6-key rollover do not exhibit the same problem.

Try that rollover test using qwerasdf. I'm willing to bet you wont be able to do all 8. My Model M only does 2 (qa, fails qwas).

And almost everyone with a Das III on geekhack noticed the issue with the rollover. Read the thread I posted earlier. They believe it is due to the 12-key rollover the Das claims to have despite USB's 6-key limitation. Other keyboards made by the same OEM as the Das III with only 6-key rollover do not exhibit the same problem.

asdfjkl; and qweriopu work just fine, tried a couple other combos, only getting 2-3 :rolleyes:

Well, I can play TF2 just fine, and just the thought of typing long papers on this thing make me excited. Beige? Looks awesome to me. Built like a tank, types great, but any mech. switch keyboard has already won me over a rubber dome keyboard.

Just received my two Das Professional Keyboards and am typing on one now. I've had my eye on this keyboard for awhile now but have always held off due to the price. With the recent "Buy one, get the second half off" deal, I decided to pick one up for home and one for work. Now that I'm actually typing on one though, the second will definitely not be going to work lest I be murdered by co-workers.

Edit: I'll be comparing the Das to the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard (I use home and work), which a fantastic "typists" keyboard in its own right with excellent key feel.

Back