Thinking about getting my own .com address

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I am considering getting my own .com address. not really sure I want to do with it, Maybe put up a blog and personal website. I have no idea really what is involved or what it costs or even where to turn. I went to www.godaddy.com and the address I want is available for $8.95 a year. I know I need somewhere to host the site, this is where i have no idea what to do or where to turn. I definatly dont wnnt to link to a pic on my site on here and have everyone getting a Bandwidth used up error. I also want to do this as a learning experience.

Host it yourself after buying the address from godaddy. I have an addy through godaddy and I love them. My main concern was control over the DNS and they allow that. Point it to your home server and boom, there ya go. Of course nothing wrong with using imageshack either from time to time. I still do that.

I just went with Network Solutions. Been working with them for ten years, and for a bit more, you can have your contact information masked so spammers can't assault you with stuff. Sure, they're more expensive but they've always pulled through for me.

Blitzrommel said:
I just went with Network Solutions. Been working with them for ten years, and for a bit more, you can have your contact information masked so spammers can't assault you with stuff. Sure, they're more expensive but they've always pulled through for me.

Way to expensive. They also send out letters that look like renewal notices even if your domain is not registered with them.

GoDaddy + TotalChoiceHosting.

Thats the way I went for our Fraternity Webpage. Awesome features and cheap. Pay 50 dollars a year for the whole deal.

TotalchoiceHosting basic is 450MB but offers far more features than GoDaddy. Features which I utilize, but if you dont, then using GoDaddy for your hoster is fine too. :)

pug said:
Way to expensive. They also send out letters that look like renewal notices even if your domain is not registered with them.
So what? I've yet to get one. Except for actual renewal notices.

Besides, it's $35 a year for .com's anyway, not really that much more.

Blitzrommel said:

Well,
Dotster is $15 an year and an extra $3 for Whois privacy.
Godaddy is $9 a year and an extra $9 for privacy

I used to use Network solutions and then realized I was throwing my money away.

Yeah I finally got my own domain name that I do nothing with except use it for webspace to host random videos/mp3's/images to my friends so they can download it. I believe I got it from www.namecheap.com with all the bells and whistles so it ended up being a lot more than just the $8 tag you see up front :)

There is a nice thread in the Webmastering forum for hosting feedback. Might want to give it a read before making a decision.

Lazaryn said:
Free cPanel hosting with 100MB storage and 5GB bandwidth can be found at zeeblo.com.

Please say that "Lazaryn" refered you if you do sign up. :p
I applied to Zeeblo for a Subdomain sense I dont yet have a Domain name. Will I just use FTP to upload the site to there servers? I do not understand what "cPanel" is. I think the storage and Bandwidth limits are acceptable especially sense it is free, but I was wondering if there was a way to monitor your bandwidth useage so I know what to get if I ever need to upgrade to a paid service.

If anyone on here has a Personal website could you please post a link so I could get some ideas as to where to start.

I have so many other quistions but I think I will reserve those till later.

Blitzrommel said:
Yeah, that's not too shabby. I'm just stubborn to move I suppose. :)

I actualy was too, because I thought I would be a Pain in the ass. I also thought I would loose the time I had already paid for. Lucily I was wrong. It was amazingly easy, and buying the year from then simply extends to the end of your current registration.

Diablo2K said:
I applied to Zeeblo for a Subdomain sense I dont yet have a Domain name. Will I just use FTP to upload the site to there servers? I do not understand what "cPanel" is. I think the storage and Bandwidth limits are acceptable especially sense it is free, but I was wondering if there was a way to monitor your bandwidth useage so I know what to get if I ever need to upgrade to a paid service.

If anyone on here has a Personal website could you please post a link so I could get some ideas as to where to start.

I have so many other quistions but I think I will reserve those till later.

Most providers that use Cpanel have a bunch of scripts that can automaticaly be installed.. Once you get into your Cpanel there may be a section to install a BLOG script or a full blown information portal like PHPnuke . Then there is a myriad of other add on's.

Check out Michiganmini.com This site is a PHPnuke site that I keep in order (Dont have my Mini any more, but I do keep hosting the page and pay for the domain for the club) It has a Alternate theme installed that I had found on the web. It has a Calendar and Picture Gallery add on.

moetop said:
Most providers that use Cpanel have a bunch of scripts that can automaticaly be installed.. Once you get into your Cpanel there may be a section to install a BLOG script or a full blown information portal like PHPnuke . Then there is a myriad of other add on's.

Check out Michiganmini.com This site is a PHPnuke site that I keep in order (Dont have my Mini any more, but I do keep hosting the page and pay for the domain for the club) It has a Alternate theme installed that I had found on the web. It has a Calendar and Picture Gallery add on.

Thanks for the info. this would probably be alot easier for me and you all if I just knew what the heck I wanted to do with the site. One thing I would like to do is to have a page up of the mods I have done with my computer. Kinda of like a Diary with pics of what I have done and when, this is kinda stupid now because I dont have a freaking camara, but that is on my short list of things to get. Other than that I really dont know what to do. I see alot of people on the forums at zeeblo.com have there own Forums. When I had my Traxxas Revo i wished there was a place I could go and talk about the Revo other than the Traxxas Forums as they just had to many rules on what you couldn't talk about, but I sold it to upgrade my computer. so I dont really have any ideas for a forum, besides www.hardforum .com has always been good to me, theres noway I could improve on it.
One thing that I would like to know about cPanel is that Is it a program that I have to download or is it more like a web page type of thing, sense I cant log in yet at Zeebo.com I cant log into there cPanel page. I was looking at Blog software and someone said that they liked nucleus I downloaded it and I think I know how to get it going and all, I wont really know until I get aproved and I try to upload it and install it. Only thing I do know is I dont really like any of the styles that come with it or are linked on its homepage. I have no codeing or Art skills so making one of my own is not an option. I guess for a while I will just play around with what I have and look for other options.
well i need to get some sleep, i will stop rambling now :D

www.pbits.net

Edit: for web hosting anyways, I had a couple of site hosted through them, good prices when I was with em, I don't think there is much of a limit on space they'll give....... Give em a call or shoot an e-mail, worth checking out.

Diablo2K said:
Thanks for the info. this would probably be alot easier for me and you all if I just knew what the heck I wanted to do with the site. One thing I would like to do is to have a page up of the mods I have done with my computer. Kinda of like a Diary with pics of what I have done and when, this is kinda stupid now because I dont have a freaking camara, but that is on my short list of things to get. Other than that I really dont know what to do. I see alot of people on the forums at zeeblo.com have there own Forums. When I had my Traxxas Revo i wished there was a place I could go and talk about the Revo other than the Traxxas Forums as they just had to many rules on what you couldn't talk about, but I sold it to upgrade my computer. so I dont really have any ideas for a forum, besides www.hardforum .com has always been good to me, theres noway I could improve on it.
One thing that I would like to know about cPanel is that Is it a program that I have to download or is it more like a web page type of thing, sense I cant log in yet at Zeebo.com I cant log into there cPanel page. I was looking at Blog software and someone said that they liked nucleus I downloaded it and I think I know how to get it going and all, I wont really know until I get aproved and I try to upload it and install it. Only thing I do know is I dont really like any of the styles that come with it or are linked on its homepage. I have no codeing or Art skills so making one of my own is not an option. I guess for a while I will just play around with what I have and look for other options.
well i need to get some sleep, i will stop rambling now :D
The whole CPanel/WHM system from DarkOrb is completely website.

It's rather an efficient system, inheritently buggy but its improved tons since its conception.

Look on google for 'cpanel live demo' or someting along those lines. you can test it out there.

-randyc

Hey Lazaryn,
How long did it take for you to get aproved, Its been over 24hours now, I seen the oldest post in the request form was about 2 days old. I just really got the itch to get this going.
Thanks again for all of the help I have gotten.

I am glad the CPanel is web based, as the only downloads I could find for it were for Linux only, and I dont know jack about linux.

I own two domain names through godaddy and host them myself.

The only emails I get from godaddy are when I change something on my domain names.

Back