Thinking about getting into STALKER. SoC or CS first? Mods?

KenG10

Gawd
How should I go about this? SoC was released first, right? What do you guys recommend I start with and what mods should I go with right off the bat? From searching, it seems like SoC + OL is the best. Might buy it off steam tonight.:)

Go with SoC first. It's a better game, and you probably won't understand what's going on in Clear Sky if you haven't played SoC. I never tried OL so I can't comment on that.

From what I've gathered, OL is a mod that tries to take SoC back to the way it was before initial release?

Last edited:
I just started plaing SoC finally, too, and I'm just surprised that after all the griping I've heard about this game...

I found something to gripe about with it, that I really don't remember people griping about it before...

Game's great, when you're actually playing it!

From what I've gathered, OL is a mod that tries to take SoC back to the way it was before initial release?

OL is what the game is in Europe, when Stalker was released in America the Oblivion Lost features were removed.

OL is what the game is in Europe, when Stalker was released in America the Oblivion Lost features were removed.

What, they think we couldn't handle OL in America? lol :rolleyes: Thanks guys. I cant wait to play this.

Yep, Stalker : Shadow of Chernobyl with Oblivion Lost mod is the best. Make sure you get Sharper textures and Float 32 as well.

that is exactly how i played through STALKER. game looked great and played great.

OL + sharper textures + Float 32

2xAA and 16xAF in CP, also you can select Deferred Shading which is the games form of AA, so you can have both AA at the same time in game options and your CP for good eye candy =)

Is the CS version of SHARPER Textures ok to use with SoC + OL? I cant seem to find a version of Sharper Textures that is tagged as "SoC".

OL is essential. Great mod that makes the game even better than it was originally.

There's a thread, here, about the Clear Sky version of Sharper Textures that has comments about the SoC version. Apparently the Clear Sky version won't work for SoC; the last version of the SoC Sharper Textures was 0.95, and is reported to work perfectly with OL 2.2.

But as I was googling for links to Sharper Textures, I came across info about Argus' Photorealistic Zone which apparently does the same thing, and possibly better. Argus' site is in russian, but these are the direct links to the textures you'll want:

Photorealistic Zone v1.0 - do a "Save As..." on this link - it's about 263MB.
Photorealistic Zone - Creatures v0.6
Photorealistic Zone v1.0 for Oblivion Lost 2.2 Compatibility Patch (1.0)

The last link also had the comments which gave me the download links for the other two parts.

Decided to go with the Stalker Complete 2009 version. Big whoop, wanna fight about it? Anyways, dang this game is hard!! I cant wait to find some more accurate weapons. Its silly emptying entire clips towards a guy and nothing hits. And they can hit me no problem from the same distance. :mad:

Decided to go with the Stalker Complete 2009 version. Big whoop, wanna fight about it? Anyways, dang this game is hard!! I cant wait to find some more accurate weapons. Its silly emptying entire clips towards a guy and nothing hits. And they can hit me no problem from the same distance. :mad:

Aim for the head whenever possible, and don't even think about engaging targets at long range without a good rifle, you'll just waste your ammo, fortunately you will get your hands on to a mp5 soon enough which is reliable for single shot bursts and can go full auto if they get too close. Btw you're kinda biased, AI is having problems hitting things too they are not aimbot-accurate even on Master difficulty.

If you're still having problems hitting things give OL 2.2 a try, gunfights will become child's play especially when you get that rifle scope in dark valley

Last edited:
I'm loving this game. Honestly, how awesome is it sneaking around in total darkness during a lighting storm? Every so often, a lighting bolt lights up the area and you can see your surroundings and spot your enemy. Some of the best lighting effects I have ever seen in a game. :cool:

You made the right choice. Stalker Complete very strongly enhances the graphics and gameplay without changing the game that much.

ssjon051809040839l11pri.jpg

ssjon051709222427tester.jpg

As a long time SHoC and CS player, I can tell you that you are in for a treat. SHoC is a blast, and can be quite scary at times (X18 lab anyone?). The mods (OL, for example) certainly help it out.

CS vanilla isn't that exciting, although it is much more of a graphical treat than SHoC. However, a mod called "OGSM" (Old Good Stalker Mod) breaths life into CS, making it a very fun game.

SHoC is a blast, and can be quite scary at times (X18 lab anyone?)

I just started the game over on Master diffuculty with Stalker complete 2009 installed. I can geniunely say that I am not looking forward to X18 :eek:

I started with SoC, but Clear Sky has a lot of cool features. Clear Sky looks a lot better and ran a little better for me plus I really like faction wars. SoC loved to crash, but mine was heavily modded.

Back