Thinking about getting a macbook :D

oOo sam lee oOo

Limp Gawd
with graduation/college approaching, i think ive decided to get a macbook just cuz i think having a pc would be a bigger hassle i dont wanna deal with in college.

but anyhoo, i was just wondering if you guys knew when between now and june (maybe even august) is typically teh "best" time to buy one. As in, is there any certain amount of time it usually takes for apple to release new things? and what are the chances of that happening in the next few months?

its just that i'd hate to get too excited and buy it now, only to find that next month theres somethign newer or updated or something ;)

thanks

Apple usually has a deal in June where you get a free iPod nano with the purchase of a Mac, which is what I'm waiting for.

Apple recently released new MacBooks and MacBook Pros. They'll probably be updating in about 5-6 months.

Yes, their laptops were just upgraded to faster CPUs (Penryn) so they shouldn't be updated for a while now.

yeah they were just updated, but if you don't need one til august you might as well wait... although there may not be an update by then...

I dunno if waiting or not will help much since the units were just updated. I just suggest you buy the unit with as little ram as possible since you can find 2x2GB kits for well under $100 now. I am running 2x1GB in my Macbook since it doesn't support 4GB and the ram in here cost me $36 before shipping.

Yoda might put it like this: "No! No thinking about it... Buy or buy not... There is no thinking about it."

Buy one! You'll be happy. :)

No point in waiting for the new ones to come out. You could even buy a last generation one and its still almost just as fast.

if you keep saying to yourself, i will wait for a refresh or the next model, theres always something new around the corner, and with computers its even worst because things get updated so fast. buy it now, use it now be happy with it now!

I dunno if waiting or not will help much since the units were just updated. I just suggest you buy the unit with as little ram as possible since you can find 2x2GB kits for well under $100 now. I am running 2x1GB in my Macbook since it doesn't support 4GB and the ram in here cost me $36 before shipping.

Seconded, apple puts a huge price premium on their ram upgrades which is complete bull.

You should definitely pick up a ram kit somewhere else other than apple and just pop it in.

Also, not to be the devils advocate, but it would be easier in college to have a mac in what sense? reliability?

The MacBook line was just updated, so no worries there. Deal roll around come graduation time in May, so be on the lookout then.

just make sure whenever you buy one you use the education link on the apple store site, it'll give you a small discount versus just buying it straight up. gl and enjoy, im loving my 2.4ghz penryn macbook =D

You'll love a macbook. I just picked one up before this last revision and it's the best laptop next to the old 12 inch Powerbooks they used to have.

yeah the montevlia a chipset is going in i think around june to august and a new integrated GPU. i believe the 8600 something. i would wait until then, but if you can't hold it i would go for it now. btw...you are gonna love your macbook.

There is ALWAYS going to be something new three, four or five months down the line. Buy it whenever you want/need it.

Back