• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thinking about fasttracking my computing shift.

N

NecessaryEvil

Guest
It happens every few years, it seems.

Last time, it was a shift from huge towers (double wide Chenbro NETs and Ultras) to Shuttles, and regular towers. I went from the big do-everything-possible system to a more distributed network...a system for file storage, a system for games, etc.

This time, I'm looking at migrating to laptops, as that's where I spend the vast majority of my time anyway.


Here's my current setup:
Laptop: IBM T42P | Pentium-m 745 (1.8ghz) | 1gb PC-2700 | 60gb 7200 | 80gb 5400 | DVD-RW
128mb FireGL T2 | 15" UXGA Flexview | Bluetooth | 802.11ABG | MX-510

Gaming/Server: Chenbro SR107 | MSI K8N Neo2 | Athlon 64 3500+ | 1gb PC-3200XL
SATA: 36.7gb Raptor, 160gb 7200, 4x 250gb 7200 in RAID 5 (LSI MegaRAID 150-4) | IDE: 2x 16x DVD+-DL, Vantec EZ-Swap
256mb 6800GT | 20" 2000fp UXGA | Audigy2 | Sennheiser HD590 | Logitech Elite | Logitech MX1000

PDA: Dell X50V | 624mhz | 5gb CF | 128mb SD | Bluetooth | 802.11b

External Storage: 5.25: 8x DVD+-DL | 3.5": 80gb, 200gb | 2.5" 40gb, 80gb



Now, to make the changes I'm thinking about, I'd have to do the following:
Tower:
1. Sell the 6800GT.
2. Sell the 1gb PC3200XL
3. Shelf or sell the Logitech MX1000

Laptop:
Sell the laptop, along with the 2 brand new never uses batteries, the docking station, etc. IBM's telling me I should get around 3800 for it with everything I have to go along with it (and that's before you include the 3 year on-site warranty).

Now...here's what I would have to do to make the changes work out the way I want.
Tower:
1. Buy a GF4-MX or other low end AGP card.
2. Buy 2gb of non-high performance PC3200
3. Attach my MX-310
4. Install Windows Server 2003 Standard (and wait until I can get a copy of the 64bit version)

Laptop:
if I got what I wanted out of the T42P, I would buy the following:

1. IBM X40. I love the ultraportables, and it would likely get 90% of the use. Get the 3 year warranty that my T42P has now. I would keep the modular bay, RAM, and 60gb 7200rpm drive that I bought as extras for my T42P, and put them in the X40.
2. Acer Travelmate 8104. I would use this for my gaming needs.


I'd break even on this (basically)...and the tower actions are inevitable. It will soon be relegated to file server, as soon as I get something new for gaming.


The problem I seem to be having is....I just don't have the balls to give up my T42P. It's not good enough for gaming, as it doesn't allow me to play Doom3 due to it's openGL implementation, but the laptop is so fucking powerful and otherwise perfect as a portable powerhouse...

What's the [H] think?
 
Back
Top