• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thinking about doing a small mod for my PSU...

Nightrain

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 7, 2004
Messages
346
I recently bought a new PSU for my rig (Ultra X-Connect 500W Ultra Modular Blue Titanium) and ULTRA recently just released a new moded X-Connect (here) and I am kind of having buyers remorse. However I don't think it would be worth the trouble of RMAing. So what I was thinking of doing was opening the PSU uninstalling the plain fans, and putting in some LED ones.

Now here is my problem:

I have never removed the cover of a PSU. Would it be hard to remove it, and put it back on?

Also is installing a new fan in a PSU hard, and do they have small window kits?

Any help would be majorly appreciated.
 
Nightrain said:
I recently bought a new PSU for my rig (Ultra X-Connect 500W Ultra Modular Blue Titanium) and ULTRA recently just released a new moded X-Connect (here) and I am kind of having buyers remorse. However I don't think it would be worth the trouble of RMAing. So what I was thinking of doing was opening the PSU uninstalling the plain fans, and putting in some LED ones.

Now here is my problem:

I have never removed the cover of a PSU. Would it be hard to remove it, and put it back on?

Also is installing a new fan in a PSU hard, and do they have small window kits?

Any help would be majorly appreciated.


Opening a PSU is a pretty easy task, mine just had 4 screws and the whole cover slid off. replacing the fans should be as easy as taking off the 4 screws popping one fan out and another in, you may have to splice the wires and wire up the new fan ( i recomend you use solder if you have it)
they sell clear power supply covers that replace the metal caseing with cool clear plastic. i used one before i got my shuttle xpc and alot of people thought it looked kick ass. or you could just cut a hole in the metal and slap some plexiglass in there with some rivits, screws or double sided tape if you are really lazy.
 
Back
Top