• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Thinking about buying a wireless desktop adapter

Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
18
so a few questions. Is there a "best" interface? USB 2.0, PCI, PCIe? There seems to be only one PCIe adapter for desktops out there, the D-Link DWA-556 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=549 (I'm leaning towards buying this one at the moment). The website says, "The PCIe interface provides superior performance over a standard PCI interface." Does it refer to things like speed, stability, or what
 
The PCIe is the best bet, if you aren't already using it for a video card(s). However, I don't think the difference from it, to the USB 2.0 ones are that substantial, unless the wireless you plan to leech is over 500 kbps. I have a USB one that was 20 bucks, that works fine as is.
 
I can tell you from experience that PCI is definitely the way to go. A while back I swapped my mom's USB adapter for a linksys internal card and after doing both speed tests and ping tests I found that the PCI internal card provided slightly better ping, however almost 30% more packet throughput when doing file transfer. I can't comment as to how much better the PCI-E card will be over the PCI card as I have never tried a wireless PCI-E card, however I would assume that as the PCI-e bus is faster, and the x1 slots on motherboards rarely get used so I would say go for it.
 
Back
Top