Thinking about blocking Doubleclick

LoStMaTt

2[H]4U
I have recently implemented some web filtering on my network as well as some network monitoring. The purpose was to try and track down websites that shouldn't be accessed while at work and to see if we can speed things up by reducing certain types of traffic.

Well, as far as web traffic goes I have to say that it seems that about 1/3 of the HTTP traffic is hitting doubleclick.net. This is ridiculous! What would be adverse effects of just blocking the whole friggin domain? I know that people may start to see many "Page can not be displayed" messages on their screen from places that ads may usually show up but will blocking it mess up anything else?

Might be easier to push firefox with an adblocker i don't know. I don't have issues browseing the regular internet with most adds blocked except sites like this. Adblock Plus blocks all ads on the internet.

Doubleclick is one of the largest ad servers. You should block it and your users will experience no adverse effect aside from having holes where there used to be ads.

Might be easier to push firefox with an adblocker i don't know. I don't have issues browseing the regular internet with most adds blocked except sites like this. Adblock Plus blocks all ads on the internet.

But how does it block them? Does it rewrite the webpage to remove the ads onthefly, or does it just not display them?

OP, as far as I've done, adding them to 127.0.0.1 to the hosts file should work, and if none of the work related sites stop working, everything else is a minor annoyance.

There's also a good program I use called HostsMan that makes blocking ads for all browsers easy. However, if you have a web filtering appliance/server installed (which it sounds like you do) then you should rely solely on that to allow you to manage it centrally.

But how does it block them? Does it rewrite the webpage to remove the ads onthefly, or does it just not display them?

OP, as far as I've done, adding them to 127.0.0.1 to the hosts file should work, and if none of the work related sites stop working, everything else is a minor annoyance.

It uses a subscription to an central list that contains pretty much every add server imaginable and it refuses the connection to that server. Really makes browseing the internet nice and easy, but as they said you should use what you have now to get that going. There may be even a way to subscribe to the same ad block server using what you have? I'm not sure.

I am using OpenDNS with a managed account so I can take care of it there. I just didn't want to block it and have everyone's websites go crazy.

Oh and also I have noticed alot of traffic has been trying to point to v2.crestside707.com and Googled it....blocked it because most of it looked like it was related to IRC.Bot viruses.

Back