Thinking about a mb/ram/proc upgrade

Loop2kil

Limp Gawd
So, I currently run an e3-1270 v2 with 16gb of ddr3. The computer is at least 10 years old, I think I added the CPU to this computer a year or 2 after it's original build.

I have an opportunity to get an i7-7700, a Lenovo mb and 32gb ddr4 for free. I know it's not new but would this be a significant enough of an upgrade to go through the trouble?

At some point I would like to add a GPU to play some more current games. What would be a good bang for the buck GPU to pair with this? As info, I currently run a Radeon 9450 HD.

I know I will need to get 24 to 10 pin adapter for the MB to work with my PSU, so I'm good there.

Last edited:
id do it. and if youre on 10/11 your drive should transplant just fine.

That 7700K would be a substantial improvement over what you are running now.

You may have limits using that Lenovo branded board. I'd take the other components and transplant them into a decent motherboard. They can be found very cheap now.

You may have limits using that Lenovo branded board. I'd take the other components and transplant them into a decent motherboard. They can be found very cheap now.
Not planning to do any overclocking (those days are long over for me). What other limitations were you thinking? Probably no raid.

Not planning to do any overclocking (those days are long over for me). What other limitations were you thinking? Probably no raid.
MUCH better support. Easier to find drivers, Lenovo not side loading shit software to your pc, upgradability and official long term Windows support, to name just a few. Many less headaches and issues. And if the other components are free, save yourself a headache and buy a decent board for them. If your time is worth something, its best to just buy the board now when you transplant. Just my .02. OEM boards have little to no support and just random internet blurbs when you search for problems down the road.

MUCH better support. Easier to find drivers, Lenovo not side loading shit software to your pc, upgradability and official long term Windows support, to name just a few. Many less headaches and issues. And if the other components are free, save yourself a headache and buy a decent board for them. If your time is worth something, its best to just buy the board now when you transplant. Just my .02. OEM boards have little to no support and just random internet blurbs when you search for problems down the road.
Gotcha...want to keep this super cheap, I may have a look around to see if I can locate something decent.

Gotcha...want to keep this super cheap, I may have a look around to see if I can locate something decent.
Like said if your time is worth anything, just pick up a cheap low end board now. You do not need some Z170/Z270 board, you could go with some H or B series chipset from that era and be just fine.

just use the lenovo board. they are making assumptions for no reason. lol "side loading from lenovo".
Yes implying OEM boards have support like non oem vendors offer. That makes sense. Other than Dell, Lenovo is the KING at sneaking in shit software. Know a great way to invite that in? Use a OEM Lenovo board.

OP- If absolute prices is your only factor then of course use what you have.

Yes implying OEM boards have support like non oem vendors offer. That makes sense. Other than Dell, Lenovo is the KING at sneaking in shit software. Know a great way to invite that in? Use a OEM Lenovo board.

OP- If absolute prices is your only factor then of course use what you have.
lenovo software doesnt magically appear and install itself as some function of the mobo, its preloaded from factory. yes it will be limited some, doesnt seem like op needs or cares or will even miss it if he 10yrs on one system.

lenovo software doesnt magically appear and install itself as some function of the mobo, its preloaded from factory. yes it will be limited some, doesnt seem like op needs or cares or will even miss it if he 10yrs on one system.
Correct, I'm not up to date on current hardware or what passes for a decent system these days...been out of the loop for a while.

But good to see spirited debates are alive and well here at the forums. I mean that sincerely, it's good to see.

The i7-7700 is a great CPU. For reference, I had an i5-6500, Z170 chipset (I think it was on an ASRock mini-ITX board) and 16GB RAM on my first custom build several years ago. The GPU I had was an ASUS GTX-970 and it was more than enough for 1080p gaming on high settings with the 6500 and 16GB.
Of course the i7-7700 and 32GB RAM are gonna be considerably more powerful, but I found the Z170 chipset to be more than adequate but not too overkill on price at the time. You'll probably be fine with the Lenovo OEM, but some manufacturers like that limit their boards somewhat and might even have limited BIOS functionality, just a word of caution. I've stumbled into that problem in the last few weeks with an HP motherboard in a prebuilt I picked up on sale last fall. If you don't need to tweak a ton of settings, it shouldn't be a problem for you. Get a similar GPU like the 1070 or like if you are able, it should be sufficient and is within a year of the 7xxx intel chips, if I'm not mistaken.
It's nice to see some debate, though I just read and stay quiet cause I feel like most people here know far, far more than I do!

Don't need any of the OC or PM controls.
Is it just the board? Idk about Lenovo but dells often require modding some psu wires to work with the "proprietary boards" workstation boards are easier then servers. Ive also ran into proprietary front connectors making it easier to turn the computer on with a switch connected to the psu on wire.

Do you have the model?

Is it just the board? Idk about Lenovo but dells often require modding some psu wires to work with the "proprietary boards" workstation boards are easier then servers. Ive also ran into proprietary front connectors making it easier to turn the computer on with a switch connected to the psu on wire.

Do you have the model?
I will need a 10 pin to 24 pin adapter to fit a standard atx...I've already ordered it.

Do you have the model?
all the the lenovo 10pin are the same, according to this BUT i have seen noted on all other brands/places that the psu wont power off on shutdown. you have manually flip the psu switch.
https://www.moddiy.com/products/IBM-Lenovo-PSU-Main-Power-24-Pin-to-10-Pin-Adapter-Cable-30cm.html

Yup, all the rigs ive done that to I would just shut them down by flipping the switch off, I would imagine that adapter can be found abit cheaper elsewhere
yeah you can get them cheaper, i saw $10 but oos.

Back