Thinking about a KVM....

mrmylanman

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I have a question. I was thinking about getting a KVM because I want another desktop. I use the desktop I have currently for gaming and video watching, however I want a new computer for photo editing/manipulation, some video work and website design, things like that. I'd prefer to keep the two separate because I like to play around on my desktop (install new OSes, etc), and if I do something more work-centric, I wouldn't want to disturb that if I do something wrong (which happens from time to time). Plus Mac Pros used are pretty plausible for me, some pretty well optioned ones going for around $1000 (dual processor even)

I also have my Atom server, which I currently just use SSH to access, but it would be kinda nice if I could have direct access to it (occasionally the NIC stops responding or something).

Well, I have two monitors (1920x1080) and I was wondering if anyone had experience with KVMs, and if they even work with two monitors. I have a little experience from work with KVMs but that's all single monitor stuff. My monitors just have a DVI in and VGA in. I'd rather go all DVI rather than use VGA for one or the other desktop because my experience hasn't been too good (blurriness).

I guess to sum up, is there a dual monitor KVM out there, would it be suitable for gaming (like is there a delay in a fast paced game for example) and would you recommend that or should I just bite the bullet and use maybe a software KVM (like Synergy) and use VGA for one computer?

Thanks a million.

Just add clarity to your question, are you looking to hook up a USB or a PS/2 mouse/kb? Any idea on how much you looking to spend and I've seen them get quite expensive, $150-200 +.

USB is what I have now, I'd prefer to use that. My desktop doesn't have two PS/2 sockets.

Back