Thinking about a GPU water loop...

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Lumpus, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Lumpus

Lumpus Limp Gawd

I already have a Corsair H115i 240mm rad handling my cpu cooling (quite decently) and since I'm not doing any major component upgrades this year (except GPU) I really don't want to get too carried away and start reinventing the wheel.

I'm thinking about perhaps replacing my RX 580 with either a Vega 64 or 5700XT - with an EKWB full water block on the card, so I think I can get by with just a minimal loop - GPU/Radiator/pump-reservoir. I think I want to do a 360mm slim radiator (copper or aluminum?) as a side mount to replace the existing 2 140mm fans (push/pull with 6 120mm fans, if I have the space). Not a lot of existing bottom space to work with (see pic) so a combined pump/reservoir (if they exist) might help.

Are there any relatively simple/adequate kits or do I need to piece this all out individually? I've seen CPU+GPU kits, but not GPU only loops.

Case is a Corsair Air 540 (old but servicable) and I'll probably have to move at least one of the HDDs at the base to make room for pump/reservoir. GPU is a Ryzen 2700X on a ASRock X470 Taichi, but neither is being replaced this year.

Next year, replacing case with a Lian Li 011 + EKWB distro plate... then going full w/c with system upgrades :)

2. Lumpus

Lumpus Limp Gawd

Another thought for consideration...
    Since I'm eventually buying the EKWB distro plate + GPU block - should I then only buy a EKWB combo pump/reservoir now, to keep future compatibility?

3. owcraftsman

owcraftsman Gawd

I'm all about custom water loops but if you want to keep it simple why not get a Cosair Hydro X according to Corsair employee GregX the 5700 and 5700Xt will be compatible.
    and clearly it fits in the Air 540
    EWdR16.png

If you want to go custom I can help you with that too but not simple and not cheap, but you could sell the H115i to offset the cost.

image source

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  4. Lumpus

Lumpus Limp Gawd

I like simple... I didn't realize that the Hydro X would fit. Will wait for that.
    (in above pic - the Corsair h105 and h80igt's are both CPU coolers) :/

I just didn't want to start spending crazy custom loop bucks on stuff that I was going to replace (with a new case) next year.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  5. owcraftsman

owcraftsman Gawd

Ya, it was the only image I could find to illustrate what you can do in an Air 540. I can't vouch for performance, but I can say it doesn't take much to cool most GPUs the worst for me was 290x and even it never broke 55c with 2 in CF overclocked in a custom loop. In other words, your CPU should be your primary concern. The beautiful thing about this setup is the CPU will not dump a bunch of heat on the GPU bumping the entire loop to higher temps. Some DIY custom loops have dual loops one for CPU and one for GPU to avoid this.

6. Gamer X

Gamer X Limp Gawd

I am doing a new build with the Lian Li 011 and it is only $129 bucks. Why are you going threw all that work on a rebuild, and not using the case?

7. somebrains

somebrains Gawd

I'm cooling a 1080ti with a G12 bracket, 92mm Noctua Redux, pwm to mini pwm adapter, and an EVGA 120mm clc.

I'm topping out in the low 50's gaming, 2100mhz boosted, and I like a 30% starting GPU fan to keep temp ramp ups more gradual.

The trick is fresh air for a GPU aio and giving the PCB direct fan blasts before it hits the usual 60c+

BO4 is weird, and tends to like to run around 2ghz, so be mindful of the games/applications you run.

8. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

I have the MSI branded 1080Ti with the Corsair AIO- it has the blower on it still for RAM and power, and a 120mm AIO for the GPU. Damn near silent under load, and hits ~2100MHz.

I don't think I'd do anything else in the future for a high-end CPU.

9. somebrains

somebrains Gawd

I wish Corsair branched out that factory aio concept to cover more PCBs before diving into the open loop market.

It's was basically them, EVGa, and a few AMD cards pre 10xx. I admired the boost headroom my buddy's aio cooled 980ti had.

The x295 was compelling, dual GPU issues notwithstanding.

IdiotInCharge likes this.