• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thinking about 5870

TekRok

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
2,279
I sold my 260gtx while i could still get some decent money out of it. Reason i purchased it while the 285s were out when i built my i7 system was for future upgrade.

Now i am thinking of getting the 5870 from tiger with the cashback. The only thing thats still holding me back is drivers. I am reading mixed reviews, people saying drivers are still bad. Then some say the 9.12's fix all the issues. Whats the current situation with drivers guys, would like to hear from people who own the cards. I am looking at the XFX version. Thanks
 
I'd take the time to look through CATALYST Drivers. Just remember, people with no problems are going to be enjoying their setup and those who are having troubles will post about it.
 
that doesnt tell me much, i dont play EVE or GTA4, that seems to be the issues with the new drivers and hot fixes...

i play WoW, Left 4 dead 1/2, Fallout, Crysis, STALKER, BF2, Mass Effect
 
Then grab the first decent priced one you see. Kyle is using a 5800 series and posted in a thread he wasn't having any problems.
 
i guess my question should have been this, is it worth the price to go with a 5870 over the 5850 when the difference is 90$...(dont factor in OCn and etc, i like to keep my car at stock speed for as long as possible)
 
i guess my question should have been this, is it worth the price to go with a 5870 over the 5850 when the difference is 90$...(dont factor in OCn and etc, i like to keep my car at stock speed for as long as possible)

Both the 5870 and the 5850 are overpriced right now.

You might want to wait until supply catches up with demand at which point the prices can go back down to full MSRP or lower as they are currently selling for over the suggested retail pricing. Buy a 58** or a 59** right now you will be paying extra to be an early adapter.
 
the problem is i already sold my 260gtx and will ship it out monday, so i need a video card now. I sold the 260 while i could still get some decent money out of it, so i am not really looking back. if i get the 5870, in the end it will cost me 210$ after cash back and my sold 260. i guess for the long run which i plan on sticking with the 58xx series, the 5870 would be the better choice...
 
If it helps I just upgraded today from my 260gtx core 216 to a 5870 and up to now have had 0 problems...codmw2 runs beautifully and so does bf2, batman and dirt2.....no complaints here
 
Most are going with XFX for the double lifetime warranty. Makes it easier to sell later when you decide to upgrade again.
 
You really can't go wrong with either the 5850 or 5870. I've been very happy with my 5870. I normally buy the 2nd best GPU when I ugprade becuase of the price premium associated with the top of the line one, but in this case I didn't feel either card was over-priced at all. Even now with the cards selling slighly above MSRP, I really wouldn't call it over priced.
 
I bought a 5870 launch week, and I haven't had a single driver issue yet. I haven't even installed 9.12s yet because there isn't any need for me to do so.
 
I bought the XFX 5870 XXX edition.....another thing I noticed..it's much quieter than the 260.
 
I had 2 xfx 5870 stockers, no problems, 2 xfx 5870 xxx versions, with lockups. 2 asus 5850s clocked close to 5870 speeds, work great also. I saw same frames with oc'ed 5850 as 5870, so I sold the 5870s.
 
Back
Top