Think my PSU died, quick question.

Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
2,042
Well I am pretty sure it is the PSU. It started a few days ago, restarted the Comp and when Windows came back the screen had a bunch of artifacts. I restarted believing it was my Video Card overheating and it was fine again.
Yesterday I went out and when I came home it was off. I hit the power button but decided that I didn't feel like it so I held in the power button and I left. Today I came home and the box is dead. No spinning anywhere. Nothing.

Is it safe to assume it's the PSU? It's an Antec True Power 430, which might be strained but should be more than enough power for the box.
 
Double check all your connections, including the power button wire on your case. If you have a multimeter test the leads off the 12V rail. Or if you have another PS you could try to swap it in to see if it will power up your system. I'm guessing the fan isn't turning on either by your description, so it's probably dead.
 
I disconnected it from everything but the big 12v spot, and nothing. I am not positive the power button works on the case. For some reason it feels different then it did yersterday, but it might just be in my head.

I am still testing, but any ideas are welcome.
 
DonMega2k said:
Double check all your connections, including the power button wire on your case.

Don't know if it was the connection or like I said the switch but I swapped out the power and reset terminals and were working fine now.

Thanks.

EDIT: Mods this is a done deal now but someone might have another comment. You can close it/delete it now if you want or I will try and remember to close it in a week or two.
 
Glad to hear you got it working. I've seen power switches go bad many times as well as the lead wire(s) coming unattached. Generally not something people think of immediately.
 
Back
Top