think my PS is dieing

It's probably just because they were popular a few years ago but I've seen a lot of the TX and lower wattage HX PSUs dieing recently. I just had to replace my 850 TX in June after a year plus of increasing stability issues that I finally diagnosed as the PSU. I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that I had stability issues for over a year or that the warranty expired during that time. :(

I went with the EVGA Supernova G2 750 as a replacement because it's based off of a great design(Super Flower Leadex Gold), has a 10 year warranty, and it has been one of the better values with the deals that have been offered on it recently. I looked at the Seasonic PSUs but it seemed like I would have had to go with the platinum line to match the quality of the EVGA and they were more expensive. The EVGA had a rebate but it took less than a month to receive the check(and it was an actual check instead of a stupid prepaid card).

Of course deals change so I would look at what deals are available and then look for reviews on them here or at Jonny Guru, those are the only two sites I would use because they're the only ones I know of that properly test them.

Warranty length on it is 5 years. There is a chance that it is still in warranty.

What is your system specs?

nothing impressive, but a power hog

AMD x3 720 BE @ stock 2.8, it used to be overclocked for years @ 3.6
H70 cooler
8GB ram
msi 790fx-gd70
AMD 6970

the system will run fine for a little white just surfing the web, maybe an hour into it
it will shut off, no warning just black screen
then i will turn it on again right away and it boots up. the first time it did it the bios got all screwed up saying re-install the bios. i turned it off then on again, set my boot drive and it booted up fine

i know the fan is making a but of noise in the power supply, making me suspect that its the issue might be overheating but it doesn't feel hot

It's probably just because they were popular a few years ago but I've seen a lot of the TX and lower wattage HX PSUs dieing recently. I just had to replace my 850 TX in June after a year plus of increasing stability issues that I finally diagnosed as the PSU. I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that I had stability issues for over a year or that the warranty expired during that time. :(

I went with the EVGA Supernova G2 750 as a replacement because it's based off of a great design(Super Flower Leadex Gold), has a 10 year warranty, and it has been one of the better values with the deals that have been offered on it recently. I looked at the Seasonic PSUs but it seemed like I would have had to go with the platinum line to match the quality of the EVGA and they were more expensive. The EVGA had a rebate but it took less than a month to receive the check(and it was an actual check instead of a stupid prepaid card).

Of course deals change so I would look at what deals are available and then look for reviews on them here or at Jonny Guru, those are the only two sites I would use because they're the only ones I know of that properly test them.

thanks for that recommendation, i think that will be my next PS since i plan on building a i5 system in the near future

Your system is a 500 watt system at worst. It is far from a power hog. And if you upgrade to an i5, you're going to be using even less power.

As long as you stay single CPU and single GPU, a good 550 watt power supply will be more than sufficient for your needs. No need for 750+ watt power supplies, it's a waste of money.

Do you have a microcenter near you? I've always gotten quite lucky w/their PSU prices.

Hello all, I am sorry to interject but my issue is very similar to Dimmys post. I have some information and a few questions of my own.

I would like to benefit from the knowledge of the posters in this thread. I own a Dell Studio 540(not the slim model) and my PSU is making funny noises intermittently. So I am getting ready to replace it. The current original PSU in the case is LITEON Model NO: PS-6351-2 350 watt. Spoke to Dell and they tell me the Internal Dell model is a G848G (and they added 'made by Asus'). Besides they dont stock them anymore and they have zero information on the PSU they have used 4 years ago in my system As said and unless Asus owns liteon, it is a pile of BS told by Dell.

I have been researching a bit and I found 4 units I primarily like.
EVGA 100-W1-0430-KR 430W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS (non modular) with ATX and EPS connectors (one of each)
Connectors:
* 1 x 24 Pin ATX
* 1 x 4 + 4-Pin EPS12V
* 1 x 6 + 2-Pin PCI-E
* 4 x SATA
* 1 x Molex
Cost:$30@memoryexpress
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corsair:
CX 430 C$ [email protected]
CX 430 v.2 C$ 35@tigerdirect
CX 430M (modular) C$ [email protected]
Does anyone know which of these 3 Corsair offer EPS12V cable/s ?
Is ATX 12V equal to EPS 12V? Connectors are interchangeable? Jonny Guru seems to think so, as he explains that the D endings fit in both the D and Square sockets

Thank you for your comments and opinions as I will decide which to buy after I read your contributions.

Lol, I just dug out my corsair psu today and made an rma ticket for it. I bought it in 2010, never used it cuz it was doa, then the rma was doa. The 850 HX seems to be a junk psu :/

The rma service from corsair is nice though. Already have a shipping label to send it back. I'll give them props on that, their rma is pretty slick. Thats the RMA link for their tech support, make an account and fill info out.

https://corsair.secure.force.com

Hello all, I am sorry to interject but my issue is very similar to Dimmys post. I have some information and a few questions of my own.

I would like to benefit from the knowledge of the posters in this thread. I own a Dell Studio 540(not the slim model) and my PSU is making funny noises intermittently. So I am getting ready to replace it. The current original PSU in the case is LITEON Model NO: PS-6351-2 350 watt. Spoke to Dell and they tell me the Internal Dell model is a G848G (and they added 'made by Asus'). Besides they dont stock them anymore and they have zero information on the PSU they have used 4 years ago in my system As said and unless Asus owns liteon, it is a pile of BS told by Dell.

I have been researching a bit and I found 4 units I primarily like.
EVGA 100-W1-0430-KR 430W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS (non modular) with ATX and EPS connectors (one of each)
Connectors:
* 1 x 24 Pin ATX
* 1 x 4 + 4-Pin EPS12V
* 1 x 6 + 2-Pin PCI-E
* 4 x SATA
* 1 x Molex
Cost:$30@memoryexpress
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corsair:
CX 430 C$ [email protected]
CX 430 v.2 C$ 35@tigerdirect
CX 430M (modular) C$ [email protected]
Does anyone know which of these 3 Corsair offer EPS12V cable/s ?
Is ATX 12V equal to EPS 12V? Connectors are interchangeable? Jonny Guru seems to think so, as he explains that the D endings fit in both the D and Square sockets

Thank you for your comments and opinions as I will decide which to buy after I read your contributions.

It would be more accurate to think of the EPS 12v connectors as an extension of the ATX 12v connectors. One block (2x2) of the EPS 12v connector is identical to the ATX 12v connector, and then there's an additional 2x2 block added on.

Additionally, unless you're using a heavily overclocked 6-core Intel or 8-core AMD, you don't need the EPS 12v connector. Even then, you would have to be overclocked on water at minimum for the 4 additional pins to start to be useful.

Thank you Tsumi

No, my system has low consumption, just that the new PSU needs to replace the functions of my existing LITEON Model NO: PS-6351-2 350 watt which has the following connectors
- 1 x 24 Pin ATX power
- 1 x 4-Pin
- 4 x 15-pin Sata
- 1 x 6-Pin PCI Power
-1 x 4-Pin Floppy Power

My needs are to supply power to:
- 1 SSD Sata III
- 1 HHD Sata III
- 1 Optical Drive for RW CD/DVDs
- 1 Dell proprietary Motherboad Intel Q9550 CPU 1155 Socket
- 1 Nvidia GeForce GT 240 Video Card
- 12GB RAM 124 Pins SDRR2 1600
- Front Card Readers
- Wired USB Mouse and Keyboard

Occasionally I hook a wired or wireless pair of Headsets
Also a 4 tray External e-Sata or USB hard disks enclosure with up to 4 disks.

Which of those 3 Corsair PSUs would be compatible with the Dell Studio 540 (non slim) system and would be able to feed those power needs in terms of available type and number of connectors ?

Thank you

Last edited:
All of them should work. Today's good quality power supplies either come with A. 4 pin ATX 12v, or B. 4+4 EPS 12v (this means the 8 pin plug can split into two 4 pin plugs for use in a 4 pin motherboard, by far the most common configuration), or C. 8 pin EPS plug + 4 pin ATX 12v plug (more commonly found on high power power supplies). Higher power ones (above 1000w) can have 2 or more EPS plugs. My guess is the Corsair PSUs will have option B. Since the ATX 12v 4-pin is basically a requirement on all modern systems, all modern PSUs will accomodate it.

Back