• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Think I went overkill on this?

n64man120

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
3,498
Well I got a PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 ATX PSU to power the following:

6800GT (or G70?)
3700+ San Diego
DM10 300GB
2GB Ram
Audigy 2ZS
DVDRW
Watercooling Pump
2 CCFL's
4 Casefans

Did I go way overboard, or is getting PCP&C just extra security my power will be clean as a whistle?

BTW: Got it for $140 shipped so for that price, it's totally worth it IMO... but is it more than I need?
 
n64man120 said:
Well I got a PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 ATX PSU to power the following:

6800GT (or G70?)
3700+ San Diego
DM10 300GB
2GB Ram
Audigy 2ZS
DVDRW
Watercooling Pump
2 CCFL's
4 Casefans

Did I go way overboard, or is getting PCP&C just extra security my power will be clean as a whistle?

BTW: Got it for $140 shipped so for that price, it's totally worth it IMO... but is it more than I need?


No you didn't and were did you get it at that price cause I want one!
 
No, it's worth every penny you paid for it. Now get a good quality UPS and you're all set my friend. Nice Setup!

 
Yea I almost never browse through them, something just came over me today to look for some steals as I slowly piece my new rig.
 
I too like Oklahoma Wolf am a warranty voider
about the first thing I do to a supply

in the case of my 510 the first thing I did was drill and tap 2 new holes in the enclosure
 
And worst case scenerio, you sell it back on ebay and post As-Is, untested, may not be working.

I sold a whacked out router (wasn't sure if it was broke, or just me), and even though I put in BOLD in the paragraph that it's not guarenteed to work and all sales are final... guy just reads title and goes right to buy it now.
 
of all my computer components
the 510 has likely depreciated the least
rackmount & assorted 2U & 4U cases running a close second
 
Ice Czar said:
of all my computer components
the 510 has likely depreciated the least
rackmount & assorted 2U & 4U cases running a close second

I actually have items that have appreciated. Gainward videocards.......give them time though they will come back down when they start being distributed in the US again.
 
Ice Czar said:
of all my computer components
the 510 has likely depreciated the least
rackmount & assorted 2U & 4U cases running a close second

Good to hear
 
I keep seeing these guys go by, and have to hold myself back from getting another one to try my first go at total PSU watercooling :eek:
 
Ice Czar said:
a sound investment IMO
and I second getting a good UPS ;)

I've never used a UPS before, I know the basic idea of one but that's about it. The rig is going to be in college dorm room almost all the time, idk if that would matter at all. UPS just keep it from getting zapped moreso?

Any suggestions on what I should buy, since you all reccomend it.
 
I'm going to bump this for another question rather than starting a new thread...

A few of you reccomended getting a UPS. I've never used one before, just a nice big power strip. Are they just needed to let you save work in the event of a power outtage? Do all [H]'ers use them and I've just missed the bandwagon? Is it basicly a replacement for a power strip? How much should I expect to spend? I'm going to be in a college dorm if that matters at all. You'll notice I really don't feel like reasearching this a ton, so a short summary would be appreciated.
 
Basically one of the better features has nothing to do with total power outages. The real beauty lies in something called AVR-Automatic Voltage Regulation. It monitors the power coming from the outlet and keeps it in a range where your PC is happy. While spikes aren't as common, "brown outs" where the power dips, happen frequently. Ever have the AC or a large appliance kick in, and the lights dim? That kind of undercurrent can stress electrical hardware and can cause damage. They basically extend the life of your hardware.

Going over your specs, I'd probably get something in the 500W or better range. The best units are made by APC, and you should expect to pay $90-$130 for something in this range. I started a nice thread here awhile ago based on an unfortunate situation for a friend of mine. Some good info managed to work it's way in there, you might want to check it out.

 
Hrmm, think I would be ok with

http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE650BB $55ish

http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE500U $40ish

http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE725BB $80ish

http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR800BLK $130ish

Entering my specs returned the first one, but I don't know how good that calculator is.

Also note, I never even considered using a UPS till an hour ago... so I don't want to spend more money than I need too. Even less if possible, don't want to toast my system though.
 
n64man120 said:
Also note, I never even considered using a UPS till an hour ago... so I don't want to spend more money than I need too. Even less if possible, don't want to toast my system though.


http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5206635548&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5207031072&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

keep an eye out and reconditioned Liebert GTX can be had for dimes on the dollars
(those are true online dual inverter UPSs)
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ice Czar said:
luckilly the PCP&C 510 has extremely good PFC and nonlinear loads isnt an issue

I was trying to get the first 1/3 and the last 1/3 to save him some money........too lazy to edit out the middle part and keep all the quoting straight :p
 
That thing looks so huge and beastly...

Ironicly, the lights in the room I'm currently in have been dimming on and off for past 10 minutes... bet the rig in my sig is feeling it. Running off of an "Industrial Strength" Powerstrip that I picked up at Home Depot
:D :D :eek:
 
well in the MaxPC tortute tests the PCP&C510 didnt even blink with a 90VAC brownout and a 200watt active load maintaining +12.08V throughout on the +12V rail

not that you wouldnt make its life a whole lot easier w\ a UPS

check that other link its a bit more "sexy"

b3_1.JPG

Liebert GXT2-1000RT120

(about 700 watts)
 
Interesting, the MaxPC thing is good to hear. I read that issue cover to cover I recall, but don't remember the PSU specifics. Considered digging it up but never did.

So since the PCP&C is a beast already, why do I need those $140 ebay ones rather than one of the cheaper APC models? Alot of people seem to give those APC's thumbs up
 
other than scoring a $700 UPS for a little over $150 shipped? :p

a double inverter UPS is a vastly superior scheme for voltage regulation
its not a line interactive UPS that switches over to battery during a brownout
but rather is constantly drawing from the batteries which are inturn constantly being charged
its totally isolated ftom the AC line irregularities

Liebert make enterprise class UPSs
most look more like this

e4_2.JPG



http://www.liebert.com/dynamic/displayproduct.asp?id=1013&cycles=60Hz
http://www.liebert.com/products/english/products/netpwrpr/upsgxt2u/60Hz/guidesp/word/sl_23152.rtf
http://www.liebert.com/products/english/products/netpwrpr/upsgxt2u/60Hz/guidesp/word/sl_23171.rtf
 
Ahh, I thought I read about this idea... wasn't sure which had it.

So most are pulling power through normally, but when brown/black out... it hits battery. But a super intense shock won't be saved fast enough and could still possibly hit the computer and bring it to it's knees.

But the $700 one, is always only pulling from the battery so no matter what hits it, it'll never be in danger of a super-powered shock.

I love the idea, but I'm thinking it may just be a bit overboard considering I'm already much more secured than most people with the PCP&C and any sort of UPS.

Will think about it, thanks.

If I do cheap-o out, and go for an APC, which would you reccomend?
 
well the real difference is how surges are handled
most line interactive IPSs dont switch over to batteries for surges
they infact employ the same junk MOV schemes that power strips do
and are thus scraficial they short surges to ground

whereas an online has the batteries as a surge buffer with no way to reach the equipment
the first 2 APC are likely too small
the latter 2 are in your range
the 3rd is borderline its Volt-Amperes or Kilovolt-Amperes and has to do with both the capacity it can supply as well as for how long

http://bugclub.org/beginners/math/WattsVoltsAmps.html

persinally if your looking to rideout a blackoit or simply shutdown safely matter alot
what your config is actually drawing and the efficiency of the conversion matters as well
 
Alright thanks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a massive surge goes through and toasts everything to hell... it will be evident in the UPS... and they the insurance warrenty on it will cover everything? God forbid that is.

Link reminds my of physics class last year. Third one looks like it will supply enough for a quick shutdown. I'm going to talk to my uncle about it who has an CE masters.
 
I've got an old analog one, but idk how accurate it is anymore
Acutaly I have a multi-meter, not sure if it measures watts (haven't had to do electronics stuff in a while :p)
 
likely close enough for rough estimating
run your rig up to near full CPU & GPU load and your likely near your worsecase draw
(unless you have a massive number of drives in which case your startup draw might exceed that) then look at your normal draws for, modems, routers, monitors ect, add some fudge factor ;)
 
Alright... as you can see this is for the rig in progress which hasn't got too far so far in my sig ;)

I'm probably going to get a UPS now for my current rig as well, to be safe.

What would happen if the UPS was too weak? Would it not be able to guarentee clean power during brownouts? Or just may not last all too long in a blackout?

 
and a good thing too :p
since Im busy doing the weekend news

I must admit you incessant questions forced me to find that link :p
(I started to wonder about inrush requirements, even though its only applicable to startup)
 
And your use of the word incessant forced me to travel over to dictionary.com and look it up ;)
 
Back
Top