Things you find in your back yard

HorsePunchKid

[H]ard|Gawd
Took the Fuji S2 and the 150mm macro & ring flash combo out last weekend and came up with some nice shots. Here are a few. Anything interesting in your back yard?

DSCF5365_hello_sunflower_sm.jpg

Ah, to be a cat...
DSCF5344_murphy_basking_sm.jpg

Tiny spider, click for scale reference:

A larger spider with prey:
DSCF5414_spider_and_prey_sm.jpg

Butterfly (not a crop!):
DSCF5394_butterfly_side_sm.jpg

Different view (click for larger):

And the most interesting insect I've found in a long time:
DSCF5307_wheel_bug_side_sm.jpg

It's a wheel bug, a member of the assassin bug family:
DSCF5406_wheel_bug_again_sm.jpg

Comments and criticism welcome as always.

How's life in the jungle been treating you :p

Pretty impressive magnifaction there...

The 5th, 6th and 7th pics didn't load. You hosting them pics on dial-up ? It took forever for them to load.

Sorry about that. The network here has been very flaky for the last few hours. You'd think a little podunk operation could keep their network running, but we lose our connection to the outside world about once a week, usually for a good fifteen minutes or so. :rolleyes:

Cool! That is the 2nd time this week I've seen those wheel bugs posted - interesting little critters. I understand they'll zap you a good one with that "tooth" if you piss them off.

Nice pics

The jumping spiders are cool. Hard to belive that they have eight eyes. It's amazing what macro lenses can do. I have a Canon EF 100mm Macro lens for my Digital Rebel but the onboard flash doesn't work very well with it. Monday I'll have a Canon MT-24EX Macro flash to play with. This hobby is getting expensive, it's a good thing I don't drink. :D

Back