THING 17" Showdown: MSI GS70 vs. RAZER blade pro vs. ZEUSbook Ultimate

doug_7506

2[H]4U
Would love to get you all opinion on three interesting notebooks. They are all less than .9" thick and less that .5lbs with two being less than 5.8lbs.

MSI GS70
Street Price: $1299
SPECS
Color Alumium Gray
Operating System Windows 8
CPU Type Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz
Screen 17.3" Full HD
Memory Size 16GB DDR3
Hard Disk 750GB HDD + 128GB SSD
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M
Video Memory 2GB
Dimensions 16.47" x 11.29" x 0.85"
Weight 5.73 lbs.

RAZER blade pro note* Razer does offer a new version with 860m gpu(see the difference here). This is for the old versions since the competitors do not offer similar versions yet.
Street Price: $1949 OOS - New version $2300 from Razer
SPECS
Color Black
Operating System Windows 8.1
CPU Type Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz
Screen 17.3"
Memory Size 8GB DDR3
Hard Disk 256GB SSD
Video Memory 2GB GDDR5
Dimensions 16.8" x 10.9" x 0.88"
Weight 6.58 lbs

ZEUSbook Ultimate
Street price: $1325 Direct from cyberpower
Specs
Color Black
Operating System Windows 8.1
CPU Type Intel i7-4700HQ 2.4 GHz
Screen 17.3"
Memory Size 8GB DDR3
Hard Disk 80gb mSATA + 1TB
Video Memory 2GB GDDR5
Communication Killer Gaming Network LAN
Dimensions 16.47" x 11.29" x 0.85"
Weight 5.73lbs

So three different companies and three different laptops.
All three have the same CPU + GPU, but there is about a $1k price difference between the three.

On the surface, the Zeusbook seems like the clear choice since a 256gb ssd can be added for less than the price of the G70. Cyberpower is extremly reasonable with there upgrade prices. The razer blade seems to price itself out of this competition and it weighs almost 1lb more.

What I can not tell from here though is the feel of the three laptops and the cooling solutions of each. The Razerblade looks like topnotch quality. You are also paying for the touch pad.

For reference, a 765m falls between a gtx 560 and an amd 6870.

Last edited:
Interested in what others have to say about this as I am in a similar market. Only I've been looking at the MSI GT70.

edit
The link has the GS70 for $1299 right now.

edit 2
After a real quick Google search is seems the GS70 is lighter, doesn't have an optical drive , smaller 6 cell battery, less USB ports overall but 1 more USB 3.0 port and should cost more than a GT70. Now I am not sure which one I want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I mentioned in my second edit that the GS70 is lighter.

wow. the newegg GS70 comes with a free 50" tv right now also. 1299 for the laptop and tv...

Where do you see that?

Edit
You mean the LG 47" TV? It's $599.00.

34-152-477-TS

you not seeing this?

Yeah I saw that some people have it with the new gfx card.

Tigerdirect has the gs70 with the gtx 870m (which looks to be a beast) that puts it on par with the new razerblade pro

gs70 $1799

The GS60 and GS70 both have abysmal battery life though. Like 2.5-3 hours max regular use, 45 mins gaming.

Also:

4V3Q90z.png

The new MSI GS70 Stealth and Razer Blade 14 Pro are much better in every way than these older models. Thinner, Lighter, more graphics power...

The GS60 and GS70 both have abysmal battery life though. Like 2.5-3 hours max regular use, 45 mins gaming.

Also:

4V3Q90z.png

I knew I saw that pic when I was on my surface. However when i checked it from my deskyop it was gone! Thanks for proving that i'm not crazy lol.

anyway, it seems that this si from when it was $1599.99 last month. http://slickdeals.net/f/6753842-msi...8gb-ssd-gtx-765m-windows-8-1549-99-fs-newegg?

The new MSI GS70 Stealth and Razer Blade 14 Pro are much better in every way than these older models. Thinner, Lighter, more graphics power...

Not sure where you are getting this from. The specs are not changing from the new to the old models. All they are doing is changing the gpu. The thickness and weight remains unchanged.

I would rather the laptop for $1300 than getting a cheap $400 TV for $200.

I have the MSI GS70 STEALTH (with the 765M).

Overall I'm very happy with it, but I'm only a casual gamer. Overall it's very fast and I just love the look of it. It's very lightweight and the keyboard is excellent.
The screen seems very good (to my untrained eye). The viewing angles, for example, are very nice. Sound isn't bad either, but I'm not an audiophile.

Negatives? The fans seem to run all the time, regardless of whether or not it's actually hot. But they're not loud at all, so I wouldn't let that put you off too much.

The battery life is OK but not great. It depends what you're doing but it lasts at least a few hours, which is enough for me. If gaming or using it for any extended period then just plug in the power. First-world problems!

If you have any specific questions then I'd be happy to answer them.

Back