Thin gaming keyboard (similar to Logitech Illuminated)?

Twinkie

Gawd
Hey, all.

I am looking for a new gaming keyboard. I picked up a Logitech Illuminated for my home office, and I LOVE the feel of it... but it has ghosting issues.

The major thing I love about the Illuminated is that it is thin! Sits very flat on my desk.

Does anyone know of any nice thin gaming keyboards out there? I have no brand preferences. Does not have to be backlit.

Is price a large factor? If not, go Logitech DiNovo.

The Logitech K750 is interesting solar powered design. It's also pretty thin and only costs $80.

razer lycosa. dont have one myslef but it looks like what u want. a razer arctosa is the same thing except no backlighing

Cherry G84 series aren't laptop profile, but they're shorter height and shorter travel than a normal keyboard. Cherry ML is shorter than MX.

Is price a large factor? If not, go Logitech DiNovo.

The Logitech K750 is interesting solar powered design. It's also pretty thin and only costs $80.

I think part of the OP's problem was the KRO scan pattern of the Illuminated. I think the other similar design Logis may have the same problem. When I started doing something about my interest in keyboards earlier this year I picked up a Logi Illuminated on 60% off clearance from a store. I liked it but found that it could not do W + SHIFT + SPACE - so I couldn't jump in-game if running. That's killed it and I got rid of it, regardless of the fact that it was dead silent and OK to type on.

Cherry G84 series aren't laptop profile, but they're shorter height and shorter travel than a normal keyboard. Cherry ML is shorter than MX.

I've got a couple of ML4100 / G84 keyboards and I find that they seem to "jam" a lot of you press the key off center. They also have non-standard key size and spacing. Yes, they are thin and compact - but that comes with downsides for mechanical switches.

I know that Lenovo has basically a laptop keyboard in a case - I don't know the KRO situation.

lenovo-thinkpad-usb-keyboard-with-trackpoint-02-229x300.jpg

lenovo-thinkpad-usb-keyboard-with-trackpoint-01-300x125.jpg

I ordered the Arctosa.

I will post a brief review after spending a few days with it.

Interesting that you went with the Arctosa.

The Lycosa/Arctosa isn't a thin keyboard by any measure. It is compact, however. I was under the impression you were seeking thin above all else.

I can only assume you like the short stroke key action. That's pretty much THE reason to get the Lycosa/Arctosa. The rubberized coating on the keys, while nice, eventually wear/scrape off. But that should be less annoying with the Arctosa, since it isn't backlit.

The anti-ghosting on the Lycosa/Arctosa only applies to the WASD. It's pretty much fail from there on out.

Having used a Lycosa for 3 years now, I gotta say it's an overpriced keyboard for what it is. I can't believe Razer are still asking $80 for it still (especially considering the quality control issues they've had with it). There's nothing overly special about it other than the short stroke key action and the rubberized keys.

The Tarantula was their best keyboard to date. If Razer were ever to incorporate the tech of the Tarantula into the aesthetics of a Lycosa, I think they'd have a monster on their hands. I'd justify $100 for a short stroke version of the Tarantula.

when u are holding multiple keys down at the same time and they dont all register. anit-ghosting is when they all register. most gaming keyboards feature about 6 key anti-ghosting, while mechanical keyboards that use a p/s2 connection feature full anit-ghosting, also known as n-key rollover

I don't know how demanding your gaming needs are, but I recently switched to a Microsoft Arc keyboard. It's not thin in the sense of being shallower physically than a normal one, but the key travel is quite short. I love it to type on and it's great for gaming too IMHO. I tested it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/content/projects/KeyboardGhostingDemo.aspx
And it appears that you can press six keys simultaneously without any kind of fault (that I could find anyways - I was testing various WASD-area combos). At seven it quits registering the most recently pressed key. I've never noticed any issues in practice with this - and I play a fair amount of TF2 and whatnot on it.

Tends to be the odder combos like ASX or ZXC or ESDF. But the Microsoft Arc is definitely 2KRO.

Eclipse Litetouch - There's a wired and wireless version. Illuminated as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CQD8YO

I know you found a keyboard, but I just want to verify that I've never had phantom key issues with this one for gaming. Where as my Logitech diNovo made it impossible to jump and turn to the right.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've had the Logitech K750 for a month now and there's a good review here.

Here's what it does with caps and both shifts down from the test here.
the qick brown ox jmps over the lazy ogs

I also tested it with the application here, and it looks like it does mostly have 6 key rollover. For example, I can press w+Shift+Space simultaneously and have it register. But pressing U or 8 or 9 after holding down any other 5 keys doesn't work. WASD works with almost everything I've tried, that I can remember.

I haven't tried it with any games to speak of, outside about 15 minutes in Trine, but I think it's very nice for what it is. If you don't like the Arctosa, it's definitely worth a try.

But... it's.... Apple.

Thanks for the report, KoalaYummies. The K750 sounds like it passes the WASD test, which makes it that more enticing to me. I've been eyeballing it since it came out anyway.

after trying one of those logitech solar keyboards, they arent the best quality. idk i just dont think that its built very well. but of course im spoiled on that aspect due to my razer blackwidow ;)

I've been using the Arctosa for a few weeks now.

It's definitely thicker than the Logitech Illuminated keyboard, but not uncomfortably so. No illuminated keys (but that doesn't mater, I do everything by feel).

No noticable ghosting for me. I removed the built in wristrest via removing 3 screws on the bottom of the keyboard. I elected to use my own gel-based wristrest for support.

All in all, a positive experience, and I would recommend it for a budget gaming keyboard.

Back