Thin Bezel Monitors?

Ruoh

Supreme [H]ardness
I've looked around a little, but have yet to find any 24"+ LCD monitors with very thin bezels. The idea is to minimize the gap in these Eyefinity setups.

Has anyone found a brand that works well for this issue?

Samsung is working on some monitors with thin bezels (look maybe half the size of typical bezels). Not much more information to go on than that unfortunately. Rumored release is around December timeframe. Would be nice to know what kind of panels they were. I would love a cheap e-IPS panel with thin bezels and DP.

the real question is price - ive heard tell that the eyefinity displays from samsung will be sold in 3x1 sets and be close to $1000

granted the slim bezels are sexy / but what type of panel are we talking about

3 tn panels ... are not worth $1000

and are they thin all around? the win seems to be 3x1 in portrait and not landscape... with the tall and wide being sexier than the super wide...

well time will tell...

Apple Cinema HD Display = thin bezel

Very true... but the last time I checked, they wanted two to three times the price that any other monitor of the same size would cost.

the real question is price - ive heard tell that the eyefinity displays from samsung will be sold in 3x1 sets and be close to $1000

and are they thin all around? the win seems to be 3x1 in portrait and not landscape... with the tall and wide being sexier than the super wide...

well time will tell...

Are you sure about that? Have you bothered pricing good quality 24" monitors lately? 3 dell 2408s would be around 1500 and they dont have thin bezels.

well time will tell...

portrait is pointless with 3, you might as well have 1 larger widescreen monitor.

The Samsung displays have the same thin bezel on all 4 sides, there is also no buttons or lights on the front of the bezel so that they don't distract when tiled in a multi-monitor setup.

Its not about increasing the size, its about increasing the resolution.

I think the vast majority of people would prefer to have a little lower resolution for a seamless image, power savings, and the proper aspect ratio for just about all the media available, but that's just me.

Are you sure about that? Have you bothered pricing good quality 24" monitors lately? 3 dell 2408s would be around 1500 and they dont have thin bezels.

actually... the samsung displays are supposed to be 23" and 1080p - we do not yet know the panel type - so what i said was... 3 tn panels are not worth $1000

they are not - 3x1 for 23" 1080p monitors is about a $600 endeavor - if they are tacking on $400 for thin bezels and a stand then that's the fail

again, we do not know - time will tell

moving on...

the 2408wfp is 24" - 1200p and i believe a va panel

3 of them cost around $1200 - not $1500

also portrait is not useless - my tv/monitor has just over 2 million pixels

eyefinity with 1200p monitors in portrait has just under 7 million

there is a very big difference between the two... maybe not here right now in todays games and applications - but id put money toward future games taking advantage of all those little points of multicolored light

I think the vast majority of people would prefer to have a little lower resolution for a seamless image, power savings, and the proper aspect ratio for just about all the media available, but that's just me.

I think the vast majority of people don't give a damn about what you think they should prefer. Who the hell are you to presume you speak for everyone else? Get over yourself :rolleyes:

What are you talking about? The Apple displays have pretty thick bezels just like all their competitors. The only thing that is thinner about them is your wallet.

yeah, $1800 for their 30" and $900 for their 24" LED display is a little excessive.

I think the vast majority of people don't give a damn about what you think they should prefer. Who the hell are you to presume you speak for everyone else? Get over yourself :rolleyes:

the point of this technology is to increase the actual gaming world. Portrait might be higher resolution but cmon your reducing the size of your main screen considerably, making the bezels all that much more noticeable. Not to mention our eyes span horizontal far more then they do vertically, which is the entire reason for widescreen in the first place.

Portrait just doesn't make any sense. Also would love to see how well these 5870's can handle next gen games at that res, be prepared for a constant upgrade cycle to support these resolutions, and not have a wider viewing angle just big thick bezels in between your image.

Portrait just doesn't make any sense. Also would love to see how well these 5870's can handle next gen games at that res, be prepared for a constant upgrade cycle to support these resolutions, and not have a wider viewing angle just big thick bezels in between your image.
Looked pretty impressive in Kyle's review.

Looked pretty impressive in Kyle's review.

It did look impressive. It basically gives you the equivalent of a 40"-45" super resolution monitor.

But I'm with the landscape crowd. Having a large 16:9 monitor as your main rig is impressive, but after a while you start to notice that you're still stuck with the same viewable area in the game.

Eyefinity hit me squarely between the eyes for one reason only: It's the crazy expanded view you get of the gameworld in landscape mode. The fact that you can see so much more around you, not only increasing your level of awareness in FPS games, but improving the sense of say, speed, in racing games.

dell can list them for whatever price they want - using the webs i found them new with warranty for as low as $360

that being said - who here pays msrp for anything unless you absolutely have to...

also, i like the idea of landscape better than i do portrait - in portrait your center display is too small and its bezel bezel bezel...

in landscape... your action stays center pane and you use the peripheral monitors for.... peripheral action...

i know the super tall monitor in portrait is sexy / but ill take an uninterrupted 40 or so inch tv over the bezel break up any day

Which one of the webs did you find them that cheap?

If you don't know that Dell MSRP is bullshit you fail at the interwebs. You can usually get pretty much anything at Dell for ~20-30% off just by calling up a representative or at worst waiting for a coupon.

Showing links must be too tough to show the great saving then.

You can always mod the monitors, as soon as I get my sons system done and I work on my new one, I am gonna chop the connecting sides of the monitors and then throw them in an acrylic custom made holder. I have seen a few guys do that, it takes away the gap all together, kinda looks like the projections system ATI uses on the demo.

I know thats not easy for most people to do, but just an idea, saves a lot of money for sure. Good luck.

You can always mod the monitors, as soon as I get my sons system done and I work on my new one, I am gonna chop the connecting sides of the monitors and then throw them in an acrylic custom made holder. I have seen a few guys do that, it takes away the gap all together, kinda looks like the projections system ATI uses on the demo.

I know thats not easy for most people to do, but just an idea, saves a lot of money for sure. Good luck.

I thought thin bezel monitors not only reduced the plastic bezel but also reduced the metal trim inside of the case? wouldn't this be difficult/risky to cut back?

I thought thin bezel monitors not only reduced the plastic bezel but also reduced the metal trim inside of the case? wouldn't this be difficult/risky to cut back?

You have to open it up and look each manufacturer is different. But I would think for the left and right monitors you should be able to get away with it. The center monitor might be a little tricky, might not be able to hack off the metal frame on both sides. Take a few pictures when you open up one and post them on here.

What is the exact model number?

Back