• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thin and Light Notebook Decision

Adidas4275

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
5,986
here is my delema:

I am looking to purchase my first notebook, i bought a Asus 901 netbook a year ago and have been using my mothers old Dell D610 for 3 years now, and I want it to be a notebook with netbook like battery life and portability.

Thus the thin and light with the new Intel ULV CPUs

but I will be using this in my classroom to play HD content on a regular basis. I teach high school biology and use Discovery HD content and PBS content that I record from my HTPC and store on my WHS.

So I need this to have a dedicated GPU. I have not seen good things from the Intel 4500MHD GPU and therefore I am looking at a Nvidia GPU.

Here are my choices....

HP DM3T w/ Nvidia 105M at $800 +tax
HP Envy 13 there is one on ebay for $1200 - 8% CB would be around $1100
MacBook Pro 13 (would run W7 in bootcamp) $1200 + tax and less HDD and Ram
Asus ul80vt $863 + $100 Amazon GC +Tax
Dell Studio 14z $824 +tax
Dell Studio XPS 13 $999 +tax


This is my short list and it definately could be larger if i looked at toshiba and Acer.... but they seem to be inferior products than the ones listed.


The HPs have crappy touchpads otherwise i would have bought one already

The MBP well gets the worst battery life, smaller HDD less Ram and tied for the lowest GPU out of the bunch.... however fastest CPU and better screen

The Asus is a little thick and has build quality issues

The Dell 14z no VGA which is a little issue since i connect to a PJ everyday, but an adapter could fix it.... aslo doesnt look as nice with the rubber not metal backing

The XPS 13 looks very nice... anyone know what the LED backlight and CCD backlight actually look like? is the LED a thinner screen?

the Envy is too expensive expect when looking at the MBP and bad touch pad


the 2 on the short, short list are the Dell XPS 13 and the HP Dm3t w/ 105 GPU


anyone have any ideas to help me make a choice... something I am not seeing. I want to buy ASAP
 
When I bought my MBP, most of these models weren't out, and it was between the dell xps studio 13 and mbp. The touchpad on the Dell drove me crazy. It was super tiny and had an awkward touch. Bestbuy sold the model, and you might be able to test drive it there.
 
i knew i made this thread. totally forgot about it. I looked back the next day and it was not in the notebook forum.

I then figured i forgot to actually posted it.

I ended up getting the DM3T with an intel X25-M 160gb SSD with nvidia 105 GPU.

I got it 2 days ago and it is great. thin-light FAST and cool. very nice and right at $1000
 
I have the Asus ul80vt, and have been using it for a couple weeks now. To me it is the perfect choice in the list you have there - cheapest with the gift card (i used mine for most of my xmas shopping), powerful gpu and the best battery life.

I love mine! you should try one out and compare it to your new dm3t. You might be surprised. No major build quality issues here :)
 
well i can say that the only issue that was ever documented was the touchpad.... and while its not the best it is also not bad.

after using it for acouple days it is fine. first couple hours it was not the best.

btw your ul80vt is 2x as heavy and thicker....

I dont prefer the lack of a dvd drive as I have 500+ movies on my WHS and have no need for a dvd drive.


also the newer ul30vt looks like a better fit.... but i didnt want to wait for one. the ul30vt would be more expensive with similar specs.


i am not sure if you have acutally used a DM3T or not but it is a solid notebook and if the touchpad isnt a problem for you then it is nice. if you dont like the touchpad well then it is not for you..
 
btw your ul80vt is 2x as heavy and thicker....

From hp site:
With the dm3t, you get the latest technology packaged in a less than 1" thick, 4.21 lb laptop priced to fit your budget

from asus site:
33.8 x 24 x 1.40~2.68 cm (W x D x H)
2.0 kg (with 8 cell battery)

which, in english units, is:

13.307 x 9.45 x 0.551 ~ 1.055 in (W x D x H)
4.41 lb (with 8 cell battery)

(4.41lb) / (2) != 4.21 lbs...

and the asus is only thicker than 1 inch at a point because of the rubber feet..

please, PLEASE research facts before you misinform people!
 
just bought the ul30vt...Should be arriving tomorrow...I'm pumped, has all the features I want!
 
yeah your right, i saw the shipping wieght of 7.8lbs when i looked at amazons specs.

the ul80 looks nice but i think the ul30vt is a better notebook for my tasks and I didnt want to wait for it and didnt have any reviews to see if it had any problems.


Tuffgong4 hope you like the ul30vt.

would you mind posting some where here your battery like with the GPU enabled? it was something that I was wondering.
 
screen on the envy 13 is superior to the mbp


What cpu is it configured with? If it is on par for price, take it over the mbp, that is what the envys should be selling at.


EDIT

oh wait it is you, you already have the dm3 now.
 
yeah your right, i saw the shipping wieght of 7.8lbs when i looked at amazons specs.

the ul80 looks nice but i think the ul30vt is a better notebook for my tasks and I didnt want to wait for it and didnt have any reviews to see if it had any problems.


Tuffgong4 hope you like the ul30vt.

would you mind posting some where here your battery like with the GPU enabled? it was something that I was wondering.

I just got it (amazon prime free trial thank you)

I haven't fired it up yet but when I do I'll post my findings...will be a few days until I have it fully set up how I want...(newborn boy at home and not a lot of time to dedicate :) )
 
so far so good with the UL30VT, great build quality, great battery life (between 6-10 hours of normal web browsing) and overall great laptop. I'm very impressed and would buy it again. love it.
 
Back
Top