Thief 4, more info at Game Developers Conference?

Direfox

[H]ard|Gawd
Was checking wikipedia to see if anything new was going on and they say.. "In early January 2011, it was revealed that the game would appear publicly for the first time at the 2011 Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, California, accompanied by audio director Paul Weir, who was appointed to the role in 2010 and will also serve as composer and sound designer on the project.

Thats the end of this month. This is the game I am waiting for more than any other, hope they have some concrete info on whats going on with it. So far its been a black hole info wise. They created the thief4 website almost 2 years ago and then nothing.

Was checking wikipedia to see if anything new was going on and they say.. "In early January 2011, it was revealed that the game would appear publicly for the first time at the 2011 Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, California, accompanied by audio director Paul Weir, who was appointed to the role in 2010 and will also serve as composer and sound designer on the project.

Thats the end of this month. This is the game I am waiting for more than any other, hope they have some concrete info on whats going on with it. So far its been a black hole info wise. They created the thief4 website almost 2 years ago and then nothing.

OMFG, yes please. I really can't wait for news on this at GDC. Thief 4 is undoubtedly my most anticipated game (probably of all time). If they stay close to the games roots (The Dark Project and The Metal Age) then I'll be happy. Garrett needs to return, please no alternative female character as I heard on the grapevine

Pleaseletthisbegoodpleaselethisbegoodpleaseletthisbegood...

News of Thief4 makes me excited. Some of my favorite gaming memories are from Thief:TDP and TMA.

T4 is a game that needs to stay as close to it's roots as possible or else they risk totally destroying one of the best series I've ever played.

Who else still remembers the Shalebridge Cradel?? Best level, EVER.

I for one don't have high hopes for this game, but I'm willing to at least keep an open mind about it (or at least pretend to).

Whereas Shalebridge was good for scares nothing can complete with the level design and genius that was Return to the Cathedral in The Dark Project. Looking Glass Studios at their pinnacle

Thief was such a thoroughly good game, and what few complaints people could make were fixed completely in Thief 2, back in the day these games kept me occupied for many hours of play. Thief 3 unfortunately went multi platform and heavily suffered for it, at this point looking glass studio was defunct and in my mind was the end of a great series.

There is a tiny glimmer of hope that this title might return the once great IPs back to the PC in all its glory, however due to also being a multi platform game I have practically no hope for Thief 4, at this stage all I can really say is that I have to basically eject any idea of this being good from my mind, I say that because I think it would be the end of gaming for me entirely if I got my hopes up for this title and they consolized the hell out of it, I think that would be the last straw for me with gaming.

So yeah, my expectations are basically it will be console trash, all the great AI, game mechanics, avoidance of combat...all of the subtleness of the game will be completely and totally destroyed. That way if they do manage to pull off the impossible then everything went better than expect :)

It's one of the few reviews yahtzee has made that is actually positive overall, I think that speaks volumes to anyone who regulars his reviews.

Its good there making a new game. Its bad that its probably going to suck and be like Assassins creed.:eek:

Thief 2 is one of my favorite games. I hope we get some of the magic back.

I loved listening to the guards talk!

"I can't believe that some taffer went and spilled mead all over that rug!"
"Benny...you spilled the mead on the rug. Anyway, someone is on the way to clean it up, already."
"But you don't understand...! These taffers have no respect for such...b-beautiful things."
"Benny, I think you've had too much to drink. Aren't you supposed to be on duty?"
" Hah... So? What if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my shword at him and saaaayy: 'Hey, Bad Guy! Yer not supposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword 'til you go, 'Ouch! I'm dead! Ah-hah! See? Ain't no one gonna be messin' with ol' Benny."

I really loved thief one and two then I saw all the bad player reviews on thief 3 and went into it with the idea it was going to suck. It was no way near as good as one and two but it was much better than most games out there and the Cradle was one of those experiences that you will always remember. There were several times I had to stop playing and do something else because I found myself cramping up from hunching over the keyboard! :D

Every one of the thief games gave me more entertainment than any other game I can think of. They were just epic and defined the stealth genre.

2 years of nothing since that website went up says vaporware to me. I dare them to prove me wrong starting at GDC but I'm not holding my breath.

I liked Thief 3 just fine. Again it's amazing to watch some people just go through contortions to convince themselves to hate something and that something is just going to be bad without a shred of anything concrete to go off of.

I'm tentatively awaiting word on this. I'm afraid that it will end up like Assassin's Creed, where enemies are dispatched in direct combat more easily then they are in a stealthy way, like the other Thief games were meant to be played.

I can just see it now, Garret dual wielding short swords and lopping off Benny's head. :rolleyes:

Benny ! :cool:

I don't think Thief 4 will be ruined due to consoles quite as badly as Thief 3. Rope arrows or bust.That would suck if it pulls a MGS2 and you realize Garrett isn't the main protagonist.

I liked Thief 3 just fine. Again it's amazing to watch some people just go through contortions to convince themselves to hate something and that something is just going to be bad without a shred of anything concrete to go off of.

100% Agreed. I enjoyed all three Thief games, personally.

How Deus Ex 3 turns out will likely be a good indicator, as it is being done by the same studio. Thief 3 suffered the same issues as DX 2, from what I remember hearing about.

I actually haven't played this series really, I think I've tried 1 of them for a little bit, not even sure which one. The concept seems very interesting though.

As much as I would love a return to the golden days, I have a very bad feeling that one of my favorite series of all time is gonna get the "Next Gen" treatment complete with "console-itis". I am calling it now, they will try to copy AC. I hope I'm wrong, but I've just been let down too many times now.

It was ok but I didn't find it to be anywhere near as fun as the first two. I actually enjoyed playing the fan-made missions in the first two more than most of Thief 3.

And the sad thing is no matter what the game looks like and how it plays.... best case scenario is probably a year away from release. Two years is probably more realistic. :(

And the sad thing is no matter what the game looks like and how it plays.... best case scenario is probably a year away from release. Two years is probably more realistic. :(

Yup, but I can wait a little longer for more blackjacking and hiding bodies in piles.

I wonder if Thief - TDP and Thief - TMA run on Windows 7 64? I'm itching to play it again.

"I can't believe that some taffer went and spilled mead all over that rug!"
"Benny...you spilled the mead on the rug. Anyway, someone is on the way to clean it up, already."
"But you don't understand...! These taffers have no respect for such...b-beautiful things."
"Benny, I think you've had too much to drink. Aren't you supposed to be on duty?"
" Hah... So? What if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my shword at him and saaaayy: 'Hey, Bad Guy! Yer not supposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword 'til you go, 'Ouch! I'm dead! Ah-hah! See? Ain't no one gonna be messin' with ol' Benny."

Pure genius. :D They don't write them like this anymore

Great, thanks.

After watching this, I'm in the mood to play again !!

You're welcome.

Yeah, I started playing System Shock 2 and Thief 1 again. Takes me back to when PC games were really innovative and sucked you in for hours on end.:)

There's no concrete evidence of what it will be like, but statistically speaking at this point it's likely to be highly consolized. I'd love to be proved wrong of course, but we have to remain realistic here.

You're welcome.

Yeah, I started playing System Shock 2 and Thief 1 again. Takes me back to when PC games were really innovative and sucked you in for hours on end.:)

Really pushing your i5! :p

Both brilliant games, that will never fade.

Those old Dark Engine games actually run pretty poorly despite how simplistic they are. While you might expect them to run at 1000 fps, they tend not to run anywhere near that fast :)

Those old Dark Engine games actually run pretty poorly despite how simplistic they are. While you might expect them to run at 1000 fps, they tend not to run anywhere near that fast :)

Frame rate isn't a linear measurement of performance anyway, a lot of old engines don't run at 1000fps+ even on modern hardware.

Usually due to CPU bottlenecks, yes. Frame rate is a linear measurement of rendering performance, however (it isn't, for instance, logarithmic).

This sequel can't come soon enough. The Thief series is one of the most atmospheric, original around. One of the only games that ever really hooked me. I just went back in fact and played through a good part of Metal Age.

Ditto on the hope it's not consolized all to hell (although I did enjoy Thief 3)

I was an admirer of Thief 3, chiefly because of the superior 3'rd person mode. The first person view is just so... wrong... for a game like this.

I was an admirer of Thief 3, chiefly because of the superior 3'rd person mode. The first person view is just so... wrong... for a game like this.

I disagree. Thief is made to play in the 1st person mode. I am of the belief that 3rd person screwed up Thief 3 by making it feel way too consoley. It would have been great if they could have implemented a 1st/3rd person hybrid like they did with Oblivion.

Either way, keep the 1st person, and make 3rd person optional. That's how Thief should be.

I disagree. Thief is made to play in the 1st person mode. I am of the belief that 3rd person screwed up Thief 3 by making it feel way too consoley. It would have been great if they could have implemented a 1st/3rd person hybrid like they did with Oblivion.

Either way, keep the 1st person, and make 3rd person optional. That's how Thief should be.

Did you even play thief 3? Cause thats how the game is. It lets you pick 3rd or 1st..

Last edited:
Back