Thickness of Antec Cyclone PCI Slot Blower

With the forum no longer allowing searches I have no choice but to start this thread.

I am looking into getting a GTX as soon as they are back in stock at NCIX here in Canada. I don't like the idea of the slots at the end of the cooler dumping hot air into my case after all the hassles I am going through with my X1900XTX + Accelero X2 combo. I have read of people using slot blowers under their card to remedy this so I think this is the route I wish to go. I have not found too many available in Canada but did come across the Antec Cyclone. I would really like the Super Cyclone but considering as though I have no room to fit a dual slot cooler I have to go with the original thinner cyclone. This is where my question comes to play. I have ONLY one slot available under the PCIe slot where the video card attaches. I have my X-Fi exactly two spaces down which is in fact the first PCI slot available. My Physx is under that and I have no more available slots to move things down further. I am wondering if the Antec Cyclone is going to fit between the GTX and the X-Fi without any issues. It looks like it is going to be a tight fit and I don't want to spend the money just to find out it is too thick to fit between both cards. I don't want to force it in either causing components to be knocked off the back of my X-Fi as that would obviously just suck. Has anyone actually tried and successfully fit the Cyclone between two cards without any issues? How is the Cyclone compared to other slot blowers out there? Would I be better off getting something else instead? I don't even have the GTX yet but I assume a slot blower would be better than no slot blower at all so will order it with the card without even knowing what temps I will get to begin with. I assume they will be lower with the blower than without?

If anyone has anything to share on how this blower fits, performs, has other alternatives etc please do share as I would like to set this up properly the first time around to avoid hassles. With all the issues I have been hearing about BSOD NV4 driver issues, black screens etc I would really like to keep this card as cool as possible to avoid these hassles. I do plan on overclocking and hope to hit at least 621/1512/1000.

Thanks again.

BTW, why is searching disabled? That has got to be the gayest thing to happen to a forum especially when everyone complains about people not using it when starting threads such as this.

not a single person has used the Antec Cyclone between two cards back to back to know how it fits?

It'll work fine. I use one in my rig. Got video card on one side and TV card on the other side of it.

Thanks a ton bud, I really appreciate your reply. So you have the exact Antec Cyclone in question? I only ask cause others say it fits but they are using a different slot blower. They are not all the same like others think. I want to be sure this exact model will fit between my GTX (when I get it) and my X-Fi as it looks to be very close.

BTW, did you find a good temp difference on your GTS with the blower being right up to the card and touching it? Have you tried without it? If you can recall what did you get before and after using the Cyclone?

Lastly, do you find the Cyclone loud? I'm sorry to badger you but with no replies I am desperate to get any questions answered I can from whoever is willing to reply... that would be you! :p

Thanks again.

This is the exact one I have. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129025

I find it to be quiet. I can't hear it over any other fans in my rig. But remember that
noise is subjective. What's Loud to one person may not be to another. :D

I noticed an immediate drop in my load temps with it. Anywhere from 5 to 10c depending on the game.
It's a tight fit but it does not touch my GTS. My TV card that sits right below it is an ATI Theatre Pro 550 and it get's friggin hot !
I like the Cyclone, for it to still drop my load temps by that much with a TV card that puts out over 50c temp wise is pretty damn good in my book.

Thanks again very much. If I could rep you I definitely would. From the link you gave me it seems to be the exact model I was looking at getting out here in Canada. I am excited to hear that you had a positive temp drop. I am surprised to hear that it doesn't touch your GTS. Again, I am going by looks but I thought it would have. I will post back here with my readings once I receive my stuff and have it installed.

What are you idling and loading at now with the blower? What were you idling and loading at before the blower?

Odd thing is my Idle temps really didnt change any. Other than my overall case temp dropped a few degrees from around 48 to 43c. My GTS idles @ 50 to 54c. Load was as high as 80 to 82 before the Blower and the AC went on for the summer. Load now averages 66 to 70, and thats during long hours of gaming.

Wow, what a difference in load temps. Very nice to hear. If I can keep an overclocked GTX under 80c than I will be a very happy camper. The Idle temps lowering isn't such a bad thing as long as the case temps drop with the 8800 heat not being left to linger in the case.

You have answered all my questions so I will no longer bother you about this as you have been very helpful and informative on sorting me out and I appreciate that more than I can say.

All the best, I hope myself or someone else can help you out when you are in need as you deserve it.

I know I've read that people are covering the holes with various materials to get the same kind of thing done. Personally I'd grab some electrical tape and tape up the holes or something instead of adding another fan.

But that's just me.

I have heard the opposite in that taping up those slots the cards temps have greatly raised. The slots are there for a reason, not for decoration. I think they are there to eliminate some air that can't be pushed through the back of the card itself. Taping up those slots just has whatever air that can't be pushed out the back trapped in and lingering in the card causing the heatsink to get hotter than it needs and should be.

Does anyone know the fan size used on the Antec Cyclone? I am guessing 80mm but hard to tell from the pics. Some are 90mm which must push more air at lower volumes.

Back