• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thicker cushions than HD485s?

ZacharyS

Gawd
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
758
I am looking for some new headphones that have thicker cushions than the HD485s. The 485s are great, but my ears rub against the inside of the ear cups (against the hard plastic of the frame) and it's very annoying. It's ok for maybe an hour or two, but after wearing them for more than that it gets quite uncomfortable. It's really limited my ability to listen to music/play games while I'm in skype, or listen to music at work.

I have been wanting to upgrade them anyway, and I plan to get an amp for whatever new ones I decide to get. I was thinking something around $150, preferably less. I don't have any local places that sell high quality equipment, so I can't really test them out before hand, but I was thinking the 595s, as they look to be pretty thick. Any suggestions from someone who has used the 485s and something else better?
 
Sony MDR-XB700 or the new XB1000. These boom low and clean like you had a big quality subwoofer.
 
Where can you buy the MDR-XB1000?

I don't think they're released yet, but they seem to be out of my price range. I am looking into the 700s though, they have some very huge looking pads on them. The only thing I'm concerned with is if their bass will drown out everything else and how well they perform in games. Research time!

EDIT: Eeeep! These are closed cans. Sorry I should have specified I much prefer open as they let your ears "breathe".
 
Last edited:
I don't think they're released yet, but they seem to be out of my price range. I am looking into the 700s though, they have some very huge looking pads on them. The only thing I'm concerned with is if their bass will drown out everything else and how well they perform in games. Research time!

EDIT: Eeeep! These are closed cans. Sorry I should have specified I much prefer open as they let your ears "breathe".

Actually, the XB#### series cans are semi-open (or semi-closed): They're not fully closed yet they're not wide open.
 
Back
Top