theSkyNet POGS

So, for giggles, here's what the Top Hosts looks like right now. ;)

SkyNet-Pogs-21MAR18-Top-Hosts.jpg

news from this project (saw it over in the Pentathlon shout box)

http://pogs.theskynet.org/pogs/index.php

POGS is complete!
Hey everyone,

As a lot of you noticed, there haven't been any workunits for POGS for about a week.

I've been told by Kevin this morning that POGS has finished processing all the galaxies he needs.

Next up, we'll be looking at reviewing all of the processed galaxy data and preparing it for actual use.

Kevin tells me that the next step is to use the processed galaxy data to train an auto-encoder neural network to classify galaxies based on their features. We'll have a gigantic amount of training data ready for this task, so the prospects of positive results seem high.

Additionally, any research papers that ICRAR publishes using this data will contain an acknowledgement to the work done by everyone who contributed to POGS.

The POGS and theSkyNet websites are going to remain up for the time being, but Kevin is also looking to shut them down once everything has fully wrapped up. This is mainly due to monetary issues - it costs more than $2,000 AUD per month to keep the POGS and theSkyNet services running.

So I'm sorry about how abrupt this is, but we're all done. Thank you everyone for your contributions, great or small. Kevin and I do appreciate everything you've done, and we'll be sure to put all the data to good use.
I'm glad to have been able to help manage this project, even if it's only been one day a week for the most part. The community here has always been a good one.

I can try and answer any questions anyone has in this thread - I'm sure there'll be some.

Thanks again for everything,
Sam 2 May 2018, 0:45:14 UTC · Comment

Looks like 9th place is mine then. :) Wish I'd paid attention and noticed the "pools" and "engines" coming up the ranks. IIRC I was in the top 5 (2nd ???) at one point. :) Oh well. Once the badges petered out I lost a lot of interest. Yeah, what can I say? I'll admit to being a badge whore. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Hi Everyone,

So some bad news today. Kevin was recently talking with a few of the higher ups at ICRAR, and it's been decided that Sourcefinder is to be shut down along with POGS.

I've also received word that the the scientists no longer need the data that's been crunched by Sourcefinder. I find extremely unfortunate considering the amount of time and effort that both all of you and myself have put into this project over the last few years, but that's just the way it is.
It would've been nice to have been notified about this sooner, but sometimes that doesn't happen.

We'll still keep a store of everything that's been computed by Sourcefinder, because we may be able to find a use for it in the future.

I should also mention that within ICRAR there's a pretty heavy shift away from distributed computing methods such as BOINC, toward simply utilising the increasing processing power of supercomputers. With this in mind, it's fairly unlikely that ICRAR will be looking to start up any new distributed computing projects in the near future.

Regardless, a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to Sourcefinder. I appreciate everything you've done to help out on this project, especially considering how rocky a lot of it has been. I'm just sorry that we now don't have an immediate use for all of the data you've processed.

As with the POGS shutdown thread, I'll try to answer any questions anyone has.

Sam

https://sourcefinder.theskynet.org/duchamp/forum_thread.php?id=279#1349

Kind of sad to see POGS going away, but then I get a little sad whenever one of the projects shuts down for good - especially projects that have been around for a long time.

I agree. Spent a lot of "time" on that project and really did enjoy it. Was always cool to see what portions of a galaxy your boxes scanned. Heck, in some cases it turned out "my" systems did 90% of a particular galaxy... that was always pretty freaking cool. (I might be using the wrong terms here; but hopefully people familiar with the project know what I mean.)

TheSkyNet was ICRAR’s first ever citizen science project. Since then, we’ve launched (and concluded) Galaxy Explorers, and will soon be launching beta testing for our latest citizen science program, Astro Quest.

Using the distributed computing power of thousands of computers located around the world, theSkyNet’s ‘SourceFinder’ project used a DuChamp algorithm to automatically tell the difference between background noise and real radio sources in observations from a radio telescope. The project proved that distributed computing is a real solution for processing large volumes of radio astronomy data and may help researchers maximise science returns from the next generation radio telescopes like the Square Kilometre Array.

After SourceFinder, we launched another citizen science project on theSkyNet platform. Named ‘POGS’, it combined data from Pan-STARRS1 (a telescope at Haleakala Observatory in Hawaii) with space-based telescopes, GALEX and WISE to generate a multi-wavelength galaxy atlas of the nearby Universe.

The results of this astronomically awesome distributed computing effort has allowed our researchers to measure the physical parameters (such as stellar mass, surface density and star formation rate) of 107, 985 galaxies! The results of this work will be published soon, so keep an eye on the ICRAR website for details.

As well as processing data for our astronomers, theSkyNet has helped us understand how to involve the community in our work through a citizen science project. We’ve had a great time with it and as we wrap this one up, we’d like to thank theSkyNet community for your time, enthusiasm, and commitment to science. We hope to have you on board for Astro Quest—keep an eye out for it!

Thank you from everyone that's worked on theSkyNet at ICRAR.

http://pogs.theskynet.org/pogs/forum_thread.php?id=880#5450

Back