These good E8400 temps?

Galvin

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jan 22, 2002
Messages
2,697
idles around 51c and full load running prim95 for 64bit its at 62 to 65c.

Room temp 21c. I figure a few more C's will drop after the paste sets a while. Just put this together last night. The weird thing is under full load the heatsink is cool. Guess cause its so big and with a 120mm fan on it, it drops the heat really fast.

Specs in signature
 
well no affense but if that was my setup not good temps, but from what i hear these are common reasonable operational temps for the CPU u have =)
and what is your OC specs? multiplier, volts? ect
 
Not overvolt but the temps cant be right. if the cpu was really giving off 64c the heatsink would be warm to the touch. I been reading a lot that heatsinks on e8400 dont even get warm. I even killed the fan to my heatsink and the temps didn't go up at all.

Its at 1.25 volts. So my guess is the cpu is really at 45 or 40c at full load maybe lower. The NB heatsink though is too hot too touch.
 
As long as your volts are low (like yours are) I wouldn't worry about the temps - too much weird temp issues with the E8400s at this point to worry about it much. No way are you in any danger at that voltage.
 
Maybe a little high, but as Forceman says, it is hard to tell with the E8400s.

FWIW, mine idles at 45/41 (Coretemp) for the cores (the CPU temp in the BIOS is typically in the low 30s) and at load, both cores hit 62 or 63 (the CPU temp here is in the low to mid 50s). As it stands, I'm running at 4 Ghz with a 443 FSB and 1.3625 volts for the CPU. I've nudged the CPU PLL and northbridge voltages up a tad as well.

The system seems rock solid in daily use but does seem to have sporadic issues with Orthos during stress testing. I think I am going to order some better case fans and I might reapply AS5. After that, I'll probably use it extensively in daily tasks (such as gaming) to see if I see any glitches or not rather than rely too much on synthetic stress tests. If I can sit and play Crysis for hours without crashes or weird issues, for example, that is stable for me. If not, then I'll probably just dial the FSB down and live with a slower CPU.
 
So its normal for the heatsink to be really cool? I never seen a heatsink this cool before.
 
Mine is cool to the touch as well, and your Noctua and my Xigmatek are very similar in performance according to reviews. Are you using push pins or a bolt-thru kit? I am using the bolt-thru kit and honestly, I am a little surprised my temps aren't a few degrees lower. If I go ahead and get new case fans, I might take the time to reapply AS5.

Also, what are you using to measure temp?
 
So its normal for the heatsink to be really cool? I never seen a heatsink this cool before.

Mine is cool to the touch also, and my temps are on the high side. I never tried to touch the heatsink base though, just the fins, which might not be representative. Northbridge is way hotter.
 
It's up for debate, but I don't think Coretemp is reporting the correct temps. The belief is that the TJMax is set to high for the 45nm chips and maybe even some of the older chips. If I used coretemp my idle temps are in the high 40's, but I use RealTemp and it will report idle temps in the high 30's. The creator of the program did a lot of low voltage testing with the HSF removed from the cpu and pointing a infrared thermometer directly at the CPU.

The Delta to TJmax remains the same in both programs, and we all know that's the important number to watch. RealTemp just reports more accurate idle and load temps. I suggest you give it a shot and if you want to read up more about RealTemp there's a thread here. Check it out and let us know what you think. I really like the program. It's a work in progress and gets better with every update.
 
idles around 51c and full load running prim95 for 64bit its at 62 to 65c.

Room temp 21c. I figure a few more C's will drop after the paste sets a while. Just put this together last night. The weird thing is under full load the heatsink is cool. Guess cause its so big and with a 120mm fan on it, it drops the heat really fast.

Specs in signature

I have the same case, cpu heatsink (except push/pull with two noctua fans) and I idle mid to high 30s according to Realtemp. This is after OC to 4.0 GHZ and Vcore at 1.4 in bios. Load is mid 50s. Mobo is Gigabyte DS3L... only other difference is that I used MX-2 instead of AS5..
 
Back
Top