Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro

HardOCP News

[H] News
The gang at Legit Reviews have the Thermaltake WATER2.0 Pro on the test bench today. If you are looking for an simple, inexpensive way to add watercooling to your rig, this might just be the way to go.

The WATER2.0 Pro utilizes a much thicker radiator, 49mm compared to 25mm found on the Performer model, to increase the heat-dissipating surface area for better performance. Join us as we see how the Water2.0 Pro handles the heat on our Intel Core i7 3960X processor against other units like the Corsair H80.

I have one and the mounting system is TERRIBLE -- the backplate fits into supplied metal spacers, but the backplate is made of softish plastic and the spacers have carved out a hole such that I can never remove the waterblock again....

BUT it cools very well. I have it in a micro atx case (see sig rig) and the performance is solid. I replaced the two fans with scythe GT-15s and it easily keeps my 3570k @ 4.2 under 65C at load (again noting the micro atx case).

What is the sound like on this unit? In my experience, these kinds of coolers have jet turbine fans attached to them. They'd probably do better to ship without crappy fans and let users buy better fans to put on them. Personally I don't see the draw of these kinds of coolers considering they don't really perform any better than high end air cooling.

I have an Antec Kuhler which uses the same mounting system (both Thermaltake and Antec's closed loop coolers are made by Asetek). The same thing happened to me, the metal screw receivers warped the plastic on the back plate and the screws ended up turning endlessly. To get the waterblock off, I wedged a very thin flat head screwdriver between the plastic and the metal reciever while turning the screw on the other side. It wasn't easy to get off but I was able to get it off.

To prevent those metal receivers from coming out of place again, I used some super glue and a torch to melt the plastic around the metal receiver to a perfect fit.

I agree the Asetek backplate is garbarge, I have no idea why they don't go with a metal backplate.

I have one and the mounting system is TERRIBLE -- the backplate fits into supplied metal spacers, but the backplate is made of softish plastic and the spacers have carved out a hole such that I can never remove the waterblock again....

BUT it cools very well. I have it in a micro atx case (see sig rig) and the performance is solid. I replaced the two fans with scythe GT-15s and it easily keeps my 3570k @ 4.2 under 65C at load (again noting the micro atx case).

Personally I don't see the draw of these kinds of coolers considering they don't really perform any better than high end air cooling.

Clearance for high-profile ram heatspreaders & size in a smaller form factor case. Asthetic's also? I personally think they look nicer than a huge hunk of metal fins in the middle of your case, and that's coming from a guy who currently has the hunk of metal. I'm not interested in paying a premium for silly things like looks and clearance but many people are!

On my system it performed significantly better than my two previous air coolers the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro and Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme. My Lian Li A05B doesn't have the best case ventilation when you compare it to some of the other cases out there, what my Antec Kuhler allowed me to do was mount the radiator directly on the intake fan giving it the coolest possible air.

If you are using a case that has mesh panels all over, an Antec Skeleton, or an open air test bench, then there is probably no advantage to these smaller closed loop units. But for the typical computer case, they can deliver significantly better temps.

Clearance for high-profile ram heatspreaders & size in a smaller form factor case. Asthetic's also? I personally think they look nicer than a huge hunk of metal fins in the middle of your case, and that's coming from a guy who currently has the hunk of metal. I'm not interested in paying a premium for silly things like looks and clearance but many people are!

Fair enough. I usually go for performance, I actively avoid fans with LEDs, I don't really care for cases with windows, and if a ghetto mod works and increases performance or reduces temperatures, I'll usually be all for it.

Different perspective on my part, I suppose, though the improved clearance is a valid point. My 38mm push fan pretty much rests on one of my RAM stick's heatspreaders.

On my system it performed significantly better than my two previous air coolers the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro and Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme. My Lian Li A05B doesn't have the best case ventilation when you compare it to some of the other cases out there, what my Antec Kuhler allowed me to do was mount the radiator directly on the intake fan giving it the coolest possible air.

If you are using a case that has mesh panels all over, an Antec Skeleton, or an open air test bench, then there is probably no advantage to these smaller closed loop units. But for the typical computer case, they can deliver significantly better temps.

You may have not been using optimal fans on the TRUE120. It should definitely outperform a single 120mm radiator system, but will likely be edged out by a 2x120mm system. The TRUE120's dense fin configuration needs fans with good static pressure or they won't be powerful enough to force the air through the fins.

I have an Antec Kuhler which uses the same mounting system (both Thermaltake and Antec's closed loop coolers are made by Asetek). The same thing happened to me, the metal screw receivers warped the plastic on the back plate and the screws ended up turning endlessly. To get the waterblock off, I wedged a very thin flat head screwdriver between the plastic and the metal reciever while turning the screw on the other side. It wasn't easy to get off but I was able to get it off.

To prevent those metal receivers from coming out of place again, I used some super glue and a torch to melt the plastic around the metal receiver to a perfect fit.

I agree the Asetek backplate is garbarge, I have no idea why they don't go with a metal backplate.

Thanks both of you, was considering this cooler over the Corsair H80 but this news above, combined with the review stating the fans aren't controllable makes me want to move onto either a Corsair unit or some $60-80 air cooler.

Back