thermaltake Tai-Chi

i have had nothing but good experiences with Thermaltake, i have owned a few of their products over the years and all have been top quality

EGGO said:
Yeah, their customer service DOES suck. I kept e-mailing them something on my Tsunami and I never got a response to this day. It was just a little over a year ago too.

lol, back in April I was doing a project for one of my classes at school about how to build a computer. Anyway, I had just recommended and Tt case to one of my friends, and he loved it so I thought, hey, maybe I should email them and ask them if they could donate a case such as a Tsunami or a Shark or something like that.. Or if they could atleast send some stickers/posters for me to pass out to the class or send a shirt for me to wear that day.. :eek:

I don't think that they ever answered me either :p .. I didn't really expect them to, since I was basically asking them for a free handout for my project, but atleast something like a shirt would have been freaking awesome :D

But, I did use my Tt Pure Power 480 for that build and that thing has served me great.. They have good products and this here looks like another one, kind of expensive but if I had the money, I would totally buy it in a heartbeat. Keep up the good work Tt! :)

pstang said:
i have had nothing but good experiences with Thermaltake, i have owned a few of their products over the years and all have been top quality

QFT.

DudeItsMe said:
You're in the Case Modding forum. Get to work
smile.gif

teh pwnzed!

300 is out of my pricerange, but it does look freaking nice. I like the radiator on the side idea too, I'll have to do that somehow on another case...

mpcamer1220 said:
lol, back in April I was doing a project for one of my classes at school about how to build a computer. Anyway, I had just recommended and Tt case to one of my friends, and he loved it so I thought, hey, maybe I should email them and ask them if they could donate a case such as a Tsunami or a Shark or something like that.. Or if they could atleast send some stickers/posters for me to pass out to the class or send a shirt for me to wear that day.. :eek:

I don't think that they ever answered me either :p .. I didn't really expect them to, since I was basically asking them for a free handout for my project, but atleast something like a shirt would have been freaking awesome :D

But, I did use my Tt Pure Power 480 for that build and that thing has served me great.. They have good products and this here looks like another one, kind of expensive but if I had the money, I would totally buy it in a heartbeat. Keep up the good work Tt! :)

Hahahaha, sorry about the bad experience. Our marketing lady that makes "freebie decisions" isn't exactly generous when it comes to ppl that ask for handouts. (I, on the other hand...)

Tt Tech said:
Hahahaha, sorry about the bad experience. Our marketing lady that makes "freebie decisions" isn't exactly generous when it comes to ppl that ask for handouts. (I, on the other hand...)

Ohh, really? I'd love to 'test' Tt products. *hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more*

Heh heh, I just kill myself. :rolleyes:

I feel bad for people who have bad company experiances. My freind just bought a x800 to put in his HTPC rig, only to find out that windows media center edition didnt support it, even though the tech support guy said it did. In the end, he had to RMA it back to newegg and pay the restocking fee... :(

Tt Tech said:
Lol, it's ok, I never even expected a reply.. But you guys did miss out on the potential customers in my class
wink.gif
tongue.gif

This year I'm taking Some engineering class, we use Autodesk Inventor, last year I took an Autocad class and next year I'm taking a second Autocad class. The same teacher teaches them all and this year we have to do 4 projects and give presentations on them.

He told me I could do one on how to build a computer this year and one of the others will be on AMD vs. Intel. It's a pretty fun class I guess..

Keep up the good work, we need more tech support like you..

Oh, and what did you mean by
(I, on the other hand...)
confused.gif
redface.gif

tongue.gif

This looks like an interesting case, especially with the side mounted watercooling. For a window option, why not try a window in the other side.. I haven't seen enough internals to know how much open space there is with the MB and cages.

Anyone thinking of modding the Tai-Chi? I personally like windowed cases and I thought it would be cool if someone would cut the lame radiator mounts for the door off and put a window in instead. I would rather see my watercooling system via window than to have the door open to see inside! Also, the problem with a door mounted WC is that the hoses will kink if your using 1/2" ID tubing upon closing the door! I would mount the radiator at the bottom of the case and allow cool are to rise up through the mesh - radiator- out rear case.

I might get one when the price comes down from 300. I wouldnt pay more than 200 for the case. Aluminum is cheap... they are chargin a premium for this case!

I too have had a bad experience with the Tt Venus 12 HSF. It has since been replaced by a Zalman, on the other hand my Shark has been a good case, and probably one of their only real origininal designs. My 480w silent purepower has always done well in the 11 months I've owned it, my only problem with that is if I don't have one of the two supplied fan controllers on it the ps becomes loud as hell. Same deal with that old hsf.

The hard drive cages in the Shark are probably one of the best designs in these cases, I HATE the one's in the Xaser, Tsunami, Soprano series. Strange plastic things that are more difficult than screws and if you have an irregularly sized HDD like my room mate did they don't fit snugly and have a lot of play in them. The same goes with the PCI slot covers on Shark vs other Tt cases. I like the all aluminum look and not all these gross variations of rainbow sherbet inside my case.

Tt Tech - how do I open my shark in the front so I can access the fan filter? It doesn't open the same way that the Xaser, Tsunami, Soprano cases does that my friends have.

The Shark's front bezel is by far one of the hardest to open. You would need to pop out the six poppers behind the front bezel (3 on each side). It's quite a pain to pop them out, I would recommend having a friend to help.

Tt Tech said:
The Shark's front bezel is by far one of the hardest to open. You would need to pop out the six poppers behind the front bezel (3 on each side). It's quite a pain to pop them out, I would recommend having a friend to help.

Thank you for the quick reply, maybe Tt's customer service has improved?
:D

Yeah I'll say that it's the hardest to open, this thing is a pain, I'm glad other than cleaning this fan grill every few months I have no other reason to go back there.

I bought this case and msust say I love it! Watercooling took 5 mins to setup, just attach the heatsink, plug the hoses and fill it up, switch it off you go :)

Oh and its really quiet, the only noise is from the case fans which can be replaced for some ultra quiet ones which I might do soon.

P_Jazzy said:
I bought this case and msust say I love it! Watercooling took 5 mins to setup, just attach the heatsink, plug the hoses and fill it up, switch it off you go :)

Oh and its really quiet, the only noise is from the case fans which can be replaced for some ultra quiet ones which I might do soon.

Post up some pics. :)

Sounds nice :) I 've also ordered Tai-chi last day , I'm looling forward its coming.
In PC shop I touched this case , I found it's so sturdy that we can't bend. That's
one of thing I like this.

P_Jazzy said:

:D Yep, I got the case without watercooling and it's huge!!!. I had to replace the cooling fans installed, they were kind of loud. But overall, it's a great case. Putting in a window on this might be a little challenging due to the fins of the case. Got a great price from Digitally Unique.

PolarbearBigEd said:
When I called thermaltake a while ago for a heatsink I bought years ago, the phone response I got was this. "Hello, sorry but ...we are busy. Please call again later... BEEP." That was when the Volcano 7+ heatsink was out. Ever since then, they have made me a non-believer. Maybe the service is better, but that doesn't explain why every Thermaltake product is a rehash of someone else's. A company that makes money off a copy of lower quality isn't cool in the hardware industry, maybe if you were buying Walmart brand bread vs. Iron kids or something, but not when there is high dollar amounts involved. I'm sorry you joined Thermaltake...

They actually have the best air cooler out right now, and they make decent/good products.

Tt tech

Will there be any replacement 5 1/4" drive bay covers and the front fan cover available for purchase? I have seen the hard drive cage/fan available in several places but can't find the fan cutout/cover for in front of it. I would also like to stealth my dvd drive but can't risk ruining a 5 1/4" cover if none are available.

For those with the watercooled model....How are your temps ?

I wonder would an aftermarket kit like the Swiftech Apex work in this case, with minimal or no mods ?

super3 said:
Tt tech

Will there be any replacement 5 1/4" drive bay covers and the front fan cover available for purchase? I have seen the hard drive cage/fan available in several places but can't find the fan cutout/cover for in front of it. I would also like to stealth my dvd drive but can't risk ruining a 5 1/4" cover if none are available.

We got a FEW of those grills in, and I think the drive bay covers as well. Please contact our parts department at (800) 988-1088 ext 108 from 9am-5:30pm PST Mon-Fri regarding the price and availability of your part.

Just got my new Tai Chi case and very disapointed, price with freight and tax was $450 Canadian. It has lots of problems so bear with me.
First problem is the several missing screws and the stripped scew holes with the non-standard scew size, what's wrong with using 2-56 screws like the rest of the industry?

Second problem is the bottom front plate keeps falling off and since it has the posts for the front clamshell doors and the two front side doors they fall off too. The two single screws from the bottom that hold the plate in place are too short. Solution, rob two screws from the back of the case that are a little longer, once again non standard screw size. TT used lots and lots of screws all over this case but why did they only put two in the lower front plate that holds four doors in place?

Third problem is the posts for the clamshell doors and the side doors are threaded and as the doors are opened and closed they loosen, work their way up at the bottom and down at the top and jam the doors. Solution, take the lower plate off again and use thread lock on the four posts at the bottom and the four posts at the top.

Fourth problem is that the 5 1/4 bay sides are huge and run from the top of the case to the bottom and are held in place by screws top and bottom. That's fine, but the bay sides are just a hair too far apart to mount a DVD or the hard drive rack or whatever when the mounting screws for the device are tightened it pulls the sides of the 5 1/4 bay in and that pulls the top and bottom of the case down and the main side doors, the fancy extruded aluminum doors won't open or close without serious rubbing. I filed and filed the tops of these doors trying to make them fit before actually figuring that the top and bottom of the case were being pulled down by the 5 1/4 bay sides making the side doors too tall. Serious engineering problem there as 5 1/4 devices have been the same size for years!

Fifth problem is two Raptor drives mounted in this case are extremely loud as there is no attempt to dampen the drive mounting whatsoever. The front and rear fans are noisey as they are mounted solidly too but that's fixed by a fan controller to slow them down a little.

Sixth problem is the finish of the aluminum on the sides of the 5 1/4 bay is not smooth but really agressive and when one tightens up the thumbscrews they dig into this finsh making it very difficult to line up a DVD or the bay with the LEDs/floppy drive properly.

I know I'm rambling on and on but this case is a major let down after I sold off my Stacker (fool) because I fell in love with the look of the Tai Chi. The concept is great but the actual build of this case is terrible no matter what any of the numerous review sites have to say, it's just terrible.
I paid $450 Cdn for this case, had it for less than a day and it's now in the bottom of the garbage dumpster in the alley and my Stacker 830 is ordered.

super3 said:
I paid $450 Cdn for this case, had it for less than a day and it's now in the bottom of the garbage dumpster in the alley

i guess im going up to canada to pick up a free tai-chi case.... btw whats your address? :D

Could it be the Canadian distributor, or the place you bought from just didn't send the right screws ?

pstang

Do you have one of these cases and if so how was the fit, etc? I've had several Lian-Li's, Coolermasters, Antecs, etc but his case was the worst of the lot. Maybe it was made on a Friday or a Monday, haha.

My address is the not so frozen north these days, great winter so far.

Mixman

The screws I'm refering to are holding parts on the case where the holes aren't stripped. The bag of screws and the bag of thumbscrews that came with it were fine. The top, bottom, internal braces, motherboard tray, etc are all held on by some fine threaded screw that's bigger than any 2-56 screw I have and probably is metric. Why they didn't send any spares that size is very frustrating. I ended up stealing screws from the back of the case where they wouldn't be missed just to secure the bottom front plate that holds the front and side door posts.

Doesn't matter to me now but I hope Tt resolves some of these complaints. It's a beautiful case and the the design is great but it needs some fine tuning and I don't have the time/inclination to be a case beta tester.

True, I understand about the beta testing thing. The only thinkg is the CM 830 has no word yet from the street on it's quality and if it measures up to the older Stackers.

I know CM Stacker's some screw is bad quality and chassis is distoreted , mine too.
I can't fit VGA properly without pull up VGA to backplate. And the many screws
aren't fit with chassis. I know many user are complain about these problem in my
country. Some has broken his VGA , some has broken off his screw in screwhole.

And I also have lianli v1000. The hard drive cage is made of 1.5mm alminum plate,
so the HD's access noise is so loud. I can understand this noise , because of this
material. The top panel plate vibration noise is famous. I solved this noise by putting a weight.

It can be said to all case , the default fan is not silent. Lianli's is so loud too.
All Silent PC user changes default fan to favorite ones.

I think all chassis has problem in some point of view even if these are said as good case.
There won't be perfect case , because users' needs is various.

By the way , wasn't your chassis defective products? I think it might be defective products.
Did you try to contact retail shop or Tt support?

Finally sorry for my bad English.

super3 said:
Just got my new Tai Chi case and very disapointed, price with freight and tax was $450 Canadian. It has lots of problems so bear with me.
First problem is the several missing screws and the stripped scew holes with the non-standard scew size, what's wrong with using 2-56 screws like the rest of the industry?
Please contact our parts department at (800) 988-1088 ext 108 from 9am-5:30pm PST Mon-Fri and tell Tim to send you a package of Tai-Chi's screws.

super3 said:
Second problem is the bottom front plate keeps falling off and since it has the posts for the front clamshell doors and the two front side doors they fall off too. The two single screws from the bottom that hold the plate in place are too short. Solution, rob two screws from the back of the case that are a little longer, once again non standard screw size. TT used lots and lots of screws all over this case but why did they only put two in the lower front plate that holds four doors in place?
Can you illustrate this with pictures, please?

super3 said:
Third problem is the posts for the clamshell doors and the side doors are threaded and as the doors are opened and closed they loosen, work their way up at the bottom and down at the top and jam the doors. Solution, take the lower plate off again and use thread lock on the four posts at the bottom and the four posts at the top.
Once again, I'm requesting for some visualization... (I'm a visual learner)

super3 said:
Fourth problem is that the 5 1/4 bay sides are huge and run from the top of the case to the bottom and are held in place by screws top and bottom. That's fine, but the bay sides are just a hair too far apart to mount a DVD or the hard drive rack or whatever when the mounting screws for the device are tightened it pulls the sides of the 5 1/4 bay in and that pulls the top and bottom of the case down and the main side doors, the fancy extruded aluminum doors won't open or close without serious rubbing. I filed and filed the tops of these doors trying to make them fit before actually figuring that the top and bottom of the case were being pulled down by the 5 1/4 bay sides making the side doors too tall. Serious engineering problem there as 5 1/4 devices have been the same size for years!
Yeah, I don't know what happened with that. The messed up 5.25" bay sizes bugged the heck out of me while building the system for CES as well. Things like these plague our R&D dept.

super3 said:
Fifth problem is two Raptor drives mounted in this case are extremely loud as there is no attempt to dampen the drive mounting whatsoever. The front and rear fans are noisey as they are mounted solidly too but that's fixed by a fan controller to slow them down a little.
I'll escalate the sound dampening issue with the iCage.

super3 said:
Sixth problem is the finish of the aluminum on the sides of the 5 1/4 bay is not smooth but really agressive and when one tightens up the thumbscrews they dig into this finsh making it very difficult to line up a DVD or the bay with the LEDs/floppy drive properly.
:confused: The finish of the drive bay covers should be very smooth...

super3 said:
I know I'm rambling on and on but this case is a major let down after I sold off my Stacker (fool) because I fell in love with the look of the Tai Chi. The concept is great but the actual build of this case is terrible no matter what any of the numerous review sites have to say, it's just terrible.
I paid $450 Cdn for this case, had it for less than a day and it's now in the bottom of the garbage dumpster in the alley and my Stacker 830 is ordered.
How terrible... I hope some lucky guy gets it and contacts us and gets things worked out...

Back