• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thermaltake G4-vga

awdark

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Mar 22, 2003
Messages
1,633
I have that Thermaltake geforce 4 heatsink thing.. the wire for the fan has 3 pins.
One of them should be the rpm sensor a yellow rpm wire I was wondering if it suppose to be is a working rpm line.

I have it wired from the 3pin->Molex connector to my powersupply. I tried connecting the rpm line to the fan header of my mobo but speedfan doesnt seem to detect it.

So im just curious if its suppose to work.
 
I imagine that line needs a ground on the same place doing the detecting. In other words, I think you need at least two wires going to that connector even just for speed detection. If you can't connect the 3-pin plug directly to that place, then I guess you need the ground wire connected over there as well.

I haven't made any modifications myself of this nature mind you, this just seems to fit what little I know about electricity and all. In other words, you can't sue me if your video card and/or motherboard explode and set your house on fire d-:
 
hehe if it does then ill have to quickly read that post about fire extinguishers.

Hrmm perhaps you are right I might need to completely power the fan off of the fan header to make it work properly.
 
Well, not exactly. Though that would be a lot easier for you if the mb can take it (mine freaked out the moment I put more than the CPU fan on there...) Basically I'm saying that I think the RPM detection line might just be using the normal ground that goes to the fan, so since you don't have that ground plugged into the header, it isn't getting any electric flow on that line. I could be wrong as it's quite possible for them to ground it like that if they wanted, but I imagine they wouldn't want to since it probably didn't occur to them someone would try that. So, the ground wire may still have to go to that for it to work. Of course, as I said, I've never tried this little trick before myself, so this is entirely guess-work and, for all I know, might well damage your MB (though I doubt it.) Hence the reason I covered my bases and said I can't be held responsible if things go up in smoke.
 
naw, ya dont need a ground to rpm sense... Antec PSU's and fans come with these connectors with just a bare rpm sense wire (not sure about the PSU, but i know the fans do)...

I've always wondered the same thing, but never had the motivation to try it haha... that thing is a whiny bi0tch though.
 
Well, if that's the case, then the issue is that the board doesn't think you have a fan plugged in so won't even look.
 
Hrmm if it doesnt need the other wires and only the rpm line (assuming it assumes there are attached fans) then these thermal take fans have a extra vestigial wire for no good reason.. and that seems odd as it will be more logical if they just got rid of the extra wire alltogher.

Unless mine is defective...
 
Well, I'm thinking it's more the fault of the board itself. Maybe most MBs will simply look at the number, but maybe yours assumes if there's nothing plugged into the power part of it, then there must be no fan to detect the speed of there.

Anyway, it was just a guess.

EDIT: You mention two systems. Maybe try it on the other system just to see? Ok, what one does, the other might as well, but it's worth a shot.
 
Back
Top