Thermaltake Element S rear fan plate for 120mm

ShadowStriker

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I have a Thermaltake Element S case, but I'm looking at all the CPU coolers like the Antec 620 and the Corsair H60 and they're all 120mm, but my rear fan slot is a 140mm. Is there some sort of adapter plate that will let me put a 120mm fan on the 140mm slot?

The rear fan in the Element S is a 140mm fan, but it also has holes for 120mm, so you can easily mount the coolers by just removing the stock fan and using the pre-cut screwholes.

The rear fan in the Element S is a 140mm fan, but it also has holes for 120mm, so you can easily mount the coolers by just removing the stock fan and using the pre-cut screwholes.

I own an Element S and this is true. I replaced the 140mm fan with a 120mm Scythe fan.

I've got a 200mm fan on the way from newegg which I am hoping to replace the top 230mm fan with. This fan has a 3 pin switch to plug into my fan controller. Currently the top fan is the loudest piece of equipment in my computer room :(

I own an Element S and this is true. I replaced the 140mm fan with a 120mm Scythe fan.

I've got a 200mm fan on the way from newegg which I am hoping to replace the top 230mm fan with. This fan has a 3 pin switch to plug into my fan controller. Currently the top fan is the loudest piece of equipment in my computer room :(

Yeah, let me know how that goes, I was looking at it and its like 230mm and I couldn't find anything decent that size lol And that red is annoying at night. >_< Although better than that blue power light. I covered it with electrical tape and you can still see a blue tint through the tape.

Whats wrong with the door?

It's never fully on for me and how it's just a slide on (where you get it just right) is really damn annoying. Also, how the fan filters are, where it's on the 5.25" covers, and you have to clean, each and every single one. Just a personal preference.

It's never fully on for me and how it's just a slide on (where you get it just right) is really damn annoying. Also, how the fan filters are, where it's on the 5.25" covers, and you have to clean, each and every single one. Just a personal preference.

Well, for me, I vacuum my room every week, so I just run my vacuum brush over the fan filters and that cleans them for me.

Update on replacing the top fan:
I bought a cooler master 200mm fan from newegg. It is the EXACT same diameter as the 230mm fan that came with the case (why are they different sizes?)

That said, the cooler master is actually about 1/4" thicker than the thermal take one that came with the case. I can't get the top lid back on because the new fan is too thick.

I could mod the metal top of the case above the CPU cooler to allow the new fan to sit a little lower and thus clear the top molding portion of the case. I don't think I'm going to do that however.

Instead, I think I'll just hack off the 3 pin plug and solder it onto the molex power cable. This will allow me to plug the stock fan into my fan controller and lower the speed. It will not allow me to read back the fan speed on the front of my fan controller.

Here are some other tidbits I've learned about my Element S:
I have a Scythe fan contorller that sits in a 5.25" bay. The knobs on the front are short enough that the door can fully close
I bought a card reader for a 5.25" bay. I had to get an adapter since the card reader was made for a floppy slot. The reader sits perfectly in line with the rest of the case and I can close the door fully with an SD card inserted.

I do wish it had more top/front USB ports. That's about it.

Last edited:
Which Coolermaster fan? And what's the thickness of the 230mm?

P.S. I think its dumb its advertised as 230mm if its the same diameter as a 200mm.

Which Coolermaster fan? And what's the thickness of the 230mm?

P.S. I think its dumb its advertised as 230mm if its the same diameter as a 200mm.

This is what I bought that didn't fit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103072

Advertised as a 200mm fan and 30mm thickness. It has the same "fan area" as the "230mm" case fan that came with the element s but is thicker.

I just looked (which I guess I should've done before) and this fan is only 20mm thick:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233076

I'm going to purchase this.

Last edited:
Back