• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ThermalTake cooler for gf4?

awdark

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Mar 22, 2003
Messages
1,633
I have been thinking about getting the thermaltake so I could push my overclock on my Gainward geforce4 ti4200 a bit higher and the fan is noisy..
According to the specs.. its about 30dB how loud is that in comparison to a stock fan? Overall it seems okay but im concerned about the noise... (I like the $13 price tag though cheaper than the zalman or the tt giant2)

Oh yah.. and the mounting.. do you know if it will fit on all Geforce4 cards? I know mine has two holes that are further apart for the stock gainward cooler and a second set of holes that are closer to the gpu.
And since it uses a three pin connector, can I unclip it from the current fan connector and wire it to my card and avoid running a extra wire to my card?
 
Hmmm GeForce 4...

What're the default core/mem clocks on that thing? And what are you capping at now?

It's important because the higher you are in speed, the less likely a new fan is going to help overclock.
 
Well the default is 250 core 513 mem I havent pushed it very far in fears something will overheat. The higheset I pushed it so far is 305 core 550 ram. I think I could go much further with my ram but havent had the time to test recently.

Oh yeah.. any opinions on that 56.5.. driver?
 
My recommendations:
$13 for a new fan that MIGHT bring your OC up a Mhz or two? No, save your money.

ForceWare 56.56 in my experience:
- supposedly fixes more compatibility problems.
- HUGE texture problems in Battle Mage.
- Suffers from random invisible menus in Spellforce in options screen.
- UT2k4 demo speed problem.
- additional tweaking settings for benchmark score freaks.

No idea about ForceWare 56.64.
 
i had that cooler on an asus gf4ti4200 i used to have, and it definetly helped, i got it up to 4600 speeds easily.
 
Was it noisy or overwhelming to the rest of the case? Concerned mostly about noise.. secondly about the power.


EDIT
The highest I can push right now is 315 560 I think thats the tops for my mem.. I was using that ati tool to test for artifacts and at 570 lots of things started to pop out. Whats hilarious is it still reports no artifacts.. guess thats an ati only feature.
 
Soo.. about that noise.. I know 29db isnt too bad but how does that compare to the stock fan?
 
I have that cooler on a GF4 4200 sitting right here on my 2nd system. I can't hear it even with the case open.
 
Ah thanks.. I guess I will pick one up the next time I go to frys. (Spending too much recently... 9800pro for other computer.. dvd burner for this one..:p )
 
Back
Top