• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thermaltake Big Typhoon dead?

Zorn

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Aug 22, 2005
Messages
452
I have a Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU cooler that has been working fine for about a year+ now, and all of a sudden it is running my CPU at about 90C at *idle*. The BIOS is reporting that it is only running at 1300RPM , despite being set at 100% speed. The fan is definitely set properly and tightly, and when I open the case while turned on the fan is spinning. Anyone have any clue why it would be causing my CPU to run at 90C while just sitting idle at the desktop? Do I just have a broken fan?
 
I have a Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU cooler that has been working fine for about a year+ now, and all of a sudden it is running my CPU at about 90C at *idle*. The BIOS is reporting that it is only running at 1300RPM , despite being set at 100% speed. The fan is definitely set properly and tightly, and when I open the case while turned on the fan is spinning. Anyone have any clue why it would be causing my CPU to run at 90C while just sitting idle at the desktop? Do I just have a broken fan?

Count the number of rotations to verify that the correct fan speed is being reported.

Seriously though, I'd say that you have a faulty temperature sensor, or a fan that's broken/clogged with dust. Your computer should be shutting itself down at such a high temperature.
 
Count the number of rotations to verify that the correct fan speed is being reported.

Seriously though, I'd say that you have a faulty temperature sensor, or a fan that's broken/clogged with dust. Your computer should be shutting itself down at such a high temperature.

That's the problem, when I run a game and get the thing going at load, the computer either blue screens or reboots itself. So I know that it's definitely overheating. It has never improperly reported the temperature in the past.
 
That's the problem, when I run a game and get the thing going at load, the computer either blue screens or reboots itself. So I know that it's definitely overheating. It has never improperly reported the temperature in the past.

Have you tried removing and re-attaching the heatsink?
 
Could also try re-seating the CPU, get some compressed air and blow the fins clean of any crap building up in there.
 
Back
Top