Thermalrights thermal paste.

Klync

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 11, 2003
Messages
133
Okay, I have my SI-97A installed, they have a tube of those Thermalrights thermal paste. How its those anyway? I relucted to use it, so instead I opted for ArticSilver.
 
Its just your average paste it would get the job done for a stock speed user or a mild oc situation. AS 5 is much better :)
 
Anime_Fan said:
Its just your average paste it would get the job done for a stock speed user or a mild oc situation. AS 5 is much better :)
no, it isn't MUCH better. that's a common misconception. if you apply either one well, the temps that you get will be within a degree or so.

don't get me wrong, i use AS5 and ceramique myself, but there is no REAL reason not to use the stock thermal paste. the white goop works just fine.

i think that most people who talk about massive temp drops when going over to AS5 are mistaking the large improvement that proper application makes, combined with the marginal benifits of a better thermal compound, for an improvement in the thermal compound alone.
 
i saw this article on maximumPC stating that generic white goo and ac5 proved to get very similar temps (exactly the same in this case) while arctic ceramique got 1c cooler than both, the only one that did horrible was the frozencpus copper goo which got like 5c higher than all 3
 
DFI Daishi said:
no, it isn't MUCH better. that's a common misconception. if you apply either one well, the temps that you get will be within a degree or so.

don't get me wrong, i use AS5 and ceramique myself, but there is no REAL reason not to use the stock thermal paste. the white goop works just fine.

i think that most people who talk about massive temp drops when going over to AS5 are mistaking the large improvement that proper application makes, combined with the marginal benifits of a better thermal compound, for an improvement in the thermal compound alone.


Hehe much better is probably an exageration when talking about thermal paste :) I would definately agree that using as 5 typically provides a couple degree diff :) But it all makes a difference :)
 
Thanks for the quick reply. Man, I still using AS3(old school). I probably getting me a tube of AS5 on my next order. So, either way, the Thermalright thermal paste should be sufficent for none over clocker, I say?
 
Klync said:
Thanks for the quick reply. Man, I still using AS3(old school). I probably getting me a tube of AS5 on my next order. So, either way, the Thermalright thermal paste should be sufficent for none over clocker, I say?


For sure :)
 
I always thought Arctic Ceramique to be a surefire winner, havent quite tried the stuff myself but looking to for future rigs.
 
Anime_Fan said:
Hehe much better is probably an exageration when talking about thermal paste :) I would definately agree that using as 5 typically provides a couple degree diff :) But it all makes a difference :)
yeah, it all makes a difference, but not a few degrees: it's less than that even, when well applied.

put simply, toothpaste, vegemite, mineral oil, stock thermal paste and AS products perform close enough to one another that your CPU diode can't consistently tell the difference between them, all other things being equal: there is no reason not to use stock paste, even when you are OCing, if that is what you have handy while you are putting things together.

now, i don't mind paying a few bucks extra to have the best vs brand X thermal paste, so i buy and use AS when i am purchasing. if i run out during a build: no reason to sweat it, just use the stock paste i have hanging around, and pick up a tube to re-apply with later.
 
DFI Daishi said:
yeah, it all makes a difference, but not a few degrees: it's less than that even, when well applied.

put simply, toothpaste, vegemite, mineral oil, stock thermal paste and AS products perform close enough to one another that your CPU diode can't consistently tell the difference between them, all other things being equal: there is no reason not to use stock paste, even when you are OCing, if that is what you have handy while you are putting things together.

now, i don't mind paying a few bucks extra to have the best vs brand X thermal paste, so i buy and use AS when i am purchasing. if i run out during a build: no reason to sweat it, just use the stock paste i have hanging around, and pick up a tube to re-apply with later.

Exactly, I had a spare tube of Dynex laying around and im out of the good stuff so I slapped some of that on. I get great temps regardless of the paste. Its kind of hard to tell when its worth $10-20 more for 1-3C less in temps. You should see the stuff they apply to the IHS's of processors. its got so much metal in it its practically solid. Now THATS what we need lol.
 
Emission said:
Exactly, I had a spare tube of Dynex laying around and im out of the good stuff so I slapped some of that on. I get great temps regardless of the paste. Its kind of hard to tell when its worth $10-20 more for 1-3C less in temps. You should see the stuff they apply to the IHS's of processors. its got so much metal in it its practically solid. Now THATS what we need lol.

what i was thinking...would brazing a heatsink to the IHS be feasible? i would imagine it'd seal better than any TIM, albeit permanently. why hasn't it be done, other than it being insanely hard to braze materials together?
 
Well first, you want to braze two flat pieces together, getting a seal on the inner metal is impossible, and after taking off the IHS, you have to reseal it. It wouldnt do you any better, because no matter how good the seal is, the heat sink can only do so much.
 
If you were able to remove the ihs attach the heastsink and then reattach the ihs its feasible I suppose. Kinda silly though, if you were able to remove the ihs you might aswell just have the heatsink sit on the naked core. It would have better thermal properties I guess.
 
2-7C better in most cases. I never got to test mine because I damaged it in the IHS removal process...
 
r_a_s88 said:
what i was thinking...would brazing a heatsink to the IHS be feasible? i would imagine it'd seal better than any TIM, albeit permanently. why hasn't it be done, other than it being insanely hard to braze materials together?
intel permanently bonds the core to the IHS using an indium based solder. it's pretty solid.

under the AMD IHS, there is thermal paste between the core and the IHS. it's not so solid.

you can't really braise the heatsink to the core because the core would be damaged by the temps that normal braising requires.

a bare core, with good thermal compound is about the best solution that is feasible. no manufactures like that idea, because too many chips get damaged by improper instalation, without an IHS to protect them.
 
The thermal paste provided by Thermalright has the consistency and look of cream cheese.
 
Back
Top