Thermalright XP-90C

Parabellum

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 4, 2001
Messages
1,893
AznAnarchy99 said:
actually, doesnt the 90 install right into the regular 478 retention bracket?
Humm, yeah but there is a special "X" shaped bracket that is needed to be installed underneath the motherboard to prevent the motherboard from bending so I am pretty sure you have to remove the motherboard. Bah, removing or not, it is not difficult for a [H], it takes less than one hour to have everything set up. I have used the Alpha PAL8045 in the past and now using the SP-94 and both needs to motherboard to be removed. I think one thing is worst than having to remove the motherboard to install a heatsink is that when you do not have a removable motherboard tray... Amen to Lian-Li for this :)

Para
 

kuyawil

n00b
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
41
Parabellum said:
I saw the XP-90C in the beginning of this week, it sure is a beauty. Well, I currently have a SP-94 and love it. However, I wonder what will be the difference between both. I am tempted to upgrade if at least I see no difference in performance (it will be cool if it is indeed better) so that I will be "future proof" when I will do some upgrades since the XP-90 design fits all sockets while my SP-94 doesn't.

Aside this, do someone know if the XP-90 series fits with a NB-1C northbridge cooler on a Asus P4C800-E? I know my SP-94 doesn't either.

Thanks

Para
Hi Parabellum, I made that inquiry with Thermalright and they said it will not work. I was dissappointed at first but made another inquiry if the NB-1C can work as a passive heatsink without the fan that comes with it. Still waiting for a reply with that one... Will keep you updated...
 

Parabellum

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 4, 2001
Messages
1,893
kuyawil said:
Hi Parabellum, I made that inquiry with Thermalright and they said it will not work. I was dissappointed at first but made another inquiry if the NB-1C can work as a passive heatsink without the fan that comes with it. Still waiting for a reply with that one... Will keep you updated...
He, thanks for the information. Well, that sucks.. Why are they selling some northbridge heatsink that will interfere with their CPU heatsink. It is obvious that most people using their CPU heatsink would ask for a matched (or thermalright based) heatsink for their motherboard. Maybe it is just my motherboard after all... I am in no luck :(

Para
 

AznAnarchy99

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
1,187
Parabellum said:
Humm, yeah but there is a special "X" shaped bracket that is needed to be installed underneath the motherboard to prevent the motherboard from bending so I am pretty sure you have to remove the motherboard. Bah, removing or not, it is not difficult for a [H], it takes less than one hour to have everything set up. I have used the Alpha PAL8045 in the past and now using the SP-94 and both needs to motherboard to be removed. I think one thing is worst than having to remove the motherboard to install a heatsink is that when you do not have a removable motherboard tray... Amen to Lian-Li for this :)

Para
not that hard but its sure time consuming... take out cards... take out hookups... cpu/heatsink...screws....lift...
 

kuyawil

n00b
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
41
Parabellum said:
He, thanks for the information. Well, that sucks.. Why are they selling some northbridge heatsink that will interfere with their CPU heatsink. It is obvious that most people using their CPU heatsink would ask for a matched (or thermalright based) heatsink for their motherboard. Maybe it is just my motherboard after all... I am in no luck :(

Para
Parabellum: Well, just got the email from Thermalright for my 2nd question. According to them, the NB-1C would still not work as a passive heatsink only because it sits too tall. Am I dissappointed? Yes, for the same reason you are. A matching heatsink for the Northbridge chipset to go with their XP-90 and XP-120 series heatsinks would have made a very nice package... Are you listening Thermalright? Anyway, just thought you and the other forum members would like to know... :(
 

Parabellum

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 4, 2001
Messages
1,893
kuyawil said:
Parabellum: Well, just got the email from Thermalright for my 2nd question. According to them, the NB-1C would still not work as a passive heatsink only because it sits too tall. Am I dissappointed? Yes, for the same reason you are. A matching heatsink for the Northbridge chipset to go with their XP-90 and XP-120 series heatsinks would have made a very nice package... Are you listening Thermalright? Anyway, just thought you and the other forum members would like to know... :(

Thanks bro for letting me know. Well, that sucks. It is sure that the passive heatsink on the P4C800-E does its job (I have removed it and applied AS5 = 4-5ºC cooler idle) but we are [H]ers and that NB-1C was created for enthusiasts like us.. shame :eek:

Para
 

ryuji

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
3,115
AznAnarchy99 said:
xp-90 for 30 bucks

OR

xp-90C for 50?

this is for my 3.2 E that im planning to OC btw
imho... xp-120 and m1a.. cant beat the noise level of a 120 mm fan
 

ianmassey

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
98
for a less than 1 deg C difference in loaded temp, compared to the aluminum model, 20 extra bucks and 300+ extra grams is a lot to sacrifice. it sure is pretty though.
 

ryuji

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
3,115
_Korruption_ said:
http://www.systemcooling.com/thermalright_xp-90c-01.html

Good review with lots of nice images. Oh, and regarding the noise level of a 120mm fan, many are too loud because they move too much air.
i have yet to see a respectable 92 mm fan that didnt make noise that a low rpm 120mm would not pwn
if you think 92 mm fans are quieter then 120's your a fool, or your listening/looking at the wrong fans
if any noise at all, a 120 mm fan makes a real deep sound that is absorbed real easly (at least in my chieftec dragon, thing is so heavy and steel is so thick, i am not surprised)

if i want my pc dead silent i run my panaflo at 70%(i set 70 in speedfan) and sacrafice about 3 degs F off the cpu load(because of this i do it all the time) :D
 

ryuji

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
3,115
AznAnarchy99 said:
120 doesnt fit on my mobo without bending caps...reading article right now
you have to 'tilt' capacitors for mine but thats a lie, all it does is nudge one cant imagine it being any different, more peopkle seem to have the asus board then the ic7, and i have seen a lot of xp-120's lately
 

O'Clocker

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 7, 2001
Messages
234
Read the review between the XP90, XP90C and XP120. What I gather, there is a 1.4C difference between them. I might be a bit soft but, I don't want the extra 330 grams of weight for only 1.4C! This computer moves around on occasion and a cracked mobo is not in my plans. That is my common sense speaking.

On the other hand, there is something to be said for "best air cooled heat sink" and it sure looks good! If it gave 5C better performance maybe, but for now it is more show than go and it weighs too much. Good thing to, my XP90 is only a month old... :cool:
 

1nferno

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 24, 2003
Messages
258
Just ordered my XP-90C the other day. Should be happy with it. I have the Xp-90 now and it kicks ass. I just need to kick some more ass now with the C model.


 

(cf)Eclipse

Freelance Overclocker
Joined
Feb 18, 2003
Messages
30,027
ryuji said:
going purely by volume, a copper xp-120 would weigh 1127 grams approx(if they use pure copper) but.. this also means the xp-90c is supposed to be 1000 grams.. so... calculating by mass doesnt get a good volume, OR thermalright isnt using pure copper OR thermalright changed the design
im betting it isnt pure and its some sort of alloy, because i highly doubt there is 83 cubic cm's of copper in a xp-90
the fins are thinner ;)
 

Parabellum

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 4, 2001
Messages
1,893
Hehe, I myselft only thrust Panaflo or Papst fan.. they may not have fancy leds, light strips and UV blades and impeller but they do the job, and quite well. Thermaltake and the likes usually buy fans from real fan makers and simply put their name on it..

Para
 

yogiB

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
202
Parabellum said:
Thermaltake and the likes usually buy fans from real fan makers and simply put their name on it..

Para
Logically, that makes Thermaltake fans "real fans" ! :)
 

robberbaron

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Messages
6,098
ianmassey said:
for a less than 1 deg C difference in loaded temp, compared to the aluminum model, 20 extra bucks and 300+ extra grams is a lot to sacrifice. it sure is pretty though.
1C is the difference between running and the thermal shutdown ;)
 

Parabellum

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 4, 2001
Messages
1,893
yogiB said:
Logically, that makes Thermaltake fans "real fans" ! :)
Hehe.. Ok, I see. I was talking about Adda, or Delta.. You know, the manufacturer ;) . I guess Thermaltake simply buy fan from a big producer and slaps their name on it probably as Antec does (and many many others). But this is just me.

Para
 

MeanieMan

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 29, 2004
Messages
1,935
robberbaron said:
1C is the difference between running and the thermal shutdown ;)
If someone is running 1C from thermal shutdown, they need slapped. Hard.

 

robberbaron

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Messages
6,098
MeanieMan said:
If someone is running 1C from thermal shutdown, they need slapped. Hard.

I've never seen so many people in a forum without sarcasm detectors.
 

holycpu

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
394
guys, for the XP-90, can you exchange the fan to make this heatsink quieter? Such as can I exchange the stock fan with at 20 dpa 120mm fan in order to make this heatsink quieter ?

Thanks
 

MrMitch

Spinning Drives Rule!
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
2,594
holycpu said:
guys, for the XP-90, can you exchange the fan to make this heatsink quieter? Such as can I exchange the stock fan with at 20 dpa 120mm fan in order to make this heatsink quieter ?

Thanks
It won't fit a 120mm fan, its bigger brother the XP-120 will, but the nice thing about the thermalright products is you can use whatever fan you want, the XP-90 uses 92mm and can fit 80mm.
 

holycpu

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
394
MrMitch said:
It won't fit a 120mm fan, its bigger brother the XP-120 will, but the nice thing about the thermalright products is you can use whatever fan you want, the XP-90 uses 92mm and can fit 80mm.
wow.........sweet.........thx
 

_Korruption_

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 22, 2002
Messages
4,572
Parabellum said:
Thermaltake and the likes usually buy fans from real fan makers and simply put their name on it..
Thermaltake even buys Panaflo Medium fans and derate them to "typical" Thermaltake spec, as in 21dBA (Panaflo quotes 25dBA).
 
Top