• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

thermalright ultra 120 install question

ZippZopp

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 30, 2007
Messages
380
I just got this heatsink and i'm installing it onto a maximus formula board. I'm putting the backplate onto the backside of the motherboard and i've got a quick question. The back plate has a piece of semi-clear plastic on it that looks like it would sit between the backplate and the motherboard...does that piece of plastic get installed with the heatsink, or do i take that off and just attach the backplate without it.

the instructions that come with this heatsink are pretty awful.
 
Think about it....Plastic...Heat...No good.

That plastic peice is not to be installed.
 
You take it off. It's just a container (or casing) for the backplate. ;)
 
i thought to remove it, but I read this, from this site http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...r-tryouts-thermalright-ultra-120-extreme.html

"The plastic cover around the adhesive square is removable, but it looks like it is meant to prevent the metal backplate from shorting out anything on the back of your motherboard, so it should just be left in place."

from another site, i also read..

"Thermalright took care of the concerns expressed by users in regards to the original Ultra-120’s backplate. For the eXtreme version, Thermalright added a non-conductive plastic padding to shield all electrical contact in preventing a short circuitry. No matter what motherboard you are using, it is sure to be safe with the Ultra-120 eXtreme."


so thats when i thought maybe it should be left on to prevent a short out..
 
The plastic piece's function is exactly that, to prevent shorting with the motherboard. I used it in my setup. When I first installed my U120, I didn't install the plastic piece, thinking it was not needed. But I took everything out and installed it couple weeks ago. With it installed, it did not affect the temperature on the CPU in my setup.


i thought to remove it, but I read this, from this site http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...r-tryouts-thermalright-ultra-120-extreme.html

"The plastic cover around the adhesive square is removable, but it looks like it is meant to prevent the metal backplate from shorting out anything on the back of your motherboard, so it should just be left in place."

from another site, i also read..

"Thermalright took care of the concerns expressed by users in regards to the original Ultra-120’s backplate. For the eXtreme version, Thermalright added a non-conductive plastic padding to shield all electrical contact in preventing a short circuitry. No matter what motherboard you are using, it is sure to be safe with the Ultra-120 eXtreme."


so thats when i thought maybe it should be left on to prevent a short out..
 
Keep that plastic on there if you don't want your mobo to short. I had to have that and put some electrical tape on some areas to keep mine from shorting :\
 
great, i'll keep it on..thank god, because i really didn't want to have to pull the board out of the case just to remove it.

thanks guys
 
Sorry to Hijack the thread but quick question.

I had the first make of the 680i board and so I had to cut the small hole in the backplate so I didn't crush the small chips on the back of the CPU socket under the board. I left the square padding stuff on but got rid of the plastic thing that you guys are talking about.

I just got a DS4 board and didn't think twice and just installed and everything. Been solid for about 1/2 a week with no problems yet. Should I tear my computer down AGAIN to put electrical tape around the arms of the bracket?
 
Sorry to Hijack the thread but quick question.

I had the first make of the 680i board and so I had to cut the small hole in the backplate so I didn't crush the small chips on the back of the CPU socket under the board. I left the square padding stuff on but got rid of the plastic thing that you guys are talking about.

I just got a DS4 board and didn't think twice and just installed and everything. Been solid for about 1/2 a week with no problems yet. Should I tear my computer down AGAIN to put electrical tape around the arms of the bracket?

If it's working fine, there's no need. Unless you have problems with things shorting out, you should be fine.
 
I left mine on aswell, the only issue i had wi tht hte install of the heatsink was the fan clips.
 
i barely got my ultra extreme in my antec 900 and evga 680i lt sli...And i mean barely (1mm clearance)
 
damn good thing i came across this thread i was wondering the same thing and was going to take it off also LOL
 
Keep that plastic on there if you don't want your mobo to short. I had to have that and put some electrical tape on some areas to keep mine from shorting :\

I am having a problem with my motherboard shorting and turning off after POSTing, I'm almost certain it's due to me chucking out the plastic part of the backplate, can anyone else confirm that electrical tape is the best thing to use? Or would sticking thin rubber (cut to size) to the backplate be better?
 
I am having a problem with my motherboard shorting and turning off after POSTing, I'm almost certain it's due to me chucking out the plastic part of the backplate, can anyone else confirm that electrical tape is the best thing to use? Or would sticking thin rubber (cut to size) to the backplate be better?

Electrical tape is made specifically to be non-conductive, so it will work fine.
 
Back
Top