• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thermalright Ultima-90 Experience

DEX1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
129
After much research (Frostytech.com is an excellent starting point) I picked the Thermalright Ultima-90 because it reviewed the best performance within my requirements; to wit,

fits in my case and MB w/o blocking the RAM slots or side case fan,
uses a better locking system than the crappy Intel push pin system,
and was reasonably portable.

Anyway, I upgraded my signature PC using Zalman ZM-STG1 thermal Grease and am so pleased with this HS using a 92mm Scythe Kama fan w/PWM that I want to share my experience. I changed from a Zalman 7000 AlCu w/AS5 & fan at full speed, Asus P5B-Deluxe and E6300. I used CoreTemp at a room temp of 25C (77F) for all temp readings. Case temp uses Antec P160 probe mid-case on empty HD slot.

The old config had an idle temp of 38C and load (after gaming) of 49C. Case temp is 30C at idle and 32C at load. When I OC’d the E6300 from 1.8 to 2.4GHz at stock voltages, the idle temp was 42C and the load only increased to 51C. Case temp is 32C at idle and 34C at load.

My new config completely stock has an idle temp of 31C and load of 34C. Case temp is 29C at idle and 30C at load.

Installation of the Ultima was easy after figuring out which parts to use. It would have been easier and cheaper if Thermalright had the AMD and Intel parts in separate bags or sold separate AMD and Intel models. The MB backplate had plastic stand offs instead of the more common adhesive. The O-rings hold the backplate & pins making bracket installation simple. The HS is secured using spring screws insuring the best contact and impossible to over tighten. The HS was well crafted with no sharp edges.

After using Artic Silver for many years, I decided to try the Zalman ZM-STG1 due to the alleged ease of application and good performance. The grease is just the right consistency for brushing on. Not too loose or thick. The supplied brush insures you can spread the grease evenly. I put it on a little too thick, then brushed the excess off using strokes in different directions to fill in all the micro gaps and end up with a nice thin even coat. It’s a lot more precise than applying AS5.

I know there are more than a few variables in my situation, but I hope my experience can help someone make a good selection of a heatsink and/or thermal grease.
 
Back
Top