Thermalright SP-94 -> XP-90C upgrade, worth it?

Parabellum

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I do not see direct comparison between the SP-94 and XP-90C and I am wondering if the difference in performance in enough to make the switch.. I am a bit annoyed about having to remove the motherboard to install the heatsink. Also, my CPU was *glued* to the heatsink the last time I removed it and the CPU was simply pulled off from the socket... Yikes... I don't want this to happen again.

Para

don't know about the comparison but definitely the XP90 or XP90C is one of the best air coolers there is.

Best way to get your previous heat sink off your CPU is to run some heavy bench test program for a while to nicely warm up your CPU+heatsink, then turn power off and gently twist the heat sink back and forth. Eventually it will come off without pulling your CPU out of the socket.

I seriously suspect XP90c=SP94... only former can go on AMD cpus too :D In respect of thermal dissipation, they gotta be about the same..

Another way to remove your HS with it not pulling your core off the MB is to get some 4lb fishing line and gentely work its way between the HS and core.

I read his somewhere and it has saved me alot of fustration. I bent a few rows of pins on my 3400+ and it took be forever to straighen them. Now i just use fishing line and i don't bend any pins.

Usually, but not always, if it is that hard to get off, you probably used too much thermal compound.... I know from experience.

dr_dirtnap said:
Another way to remove your HS with it not pulling your core off the MB is to get some 4lb fishing line and gentely work its way between the HS and core.

I read his somewhere and it has saved me alot of fustration. I bent a few rows of pins on my 3400+ and it took be forever to straighen them. Now i just use fishing line and i don't bend any pins.

Usually, but not always, if it is that hard to get off, you probably used too much thermal compound.... I know from experience.
fishing line... great tip... ill remember that but for me it dont matter if the cor egets ripped up because i have a bolt on water block, sort of have no choice but to remove it straight up ;)

Hello,

Thanks for replying. Yeah, I think I did put too much thermal paste because I had mounted/disassembled the heatsink a couple of time and it only did this the last time. Since I probably put too much AS5, I think the fishing line method will probably works.

You know, I had never been scared that much when I saw my processor coming with the heatsink glued underneath. The problem is that I have no warranty for this CPU and it is almost impossible to find. I just don't want to screw it up :(

Regarding strictly performance, you confirm what I was expecting. The advantage of using the XP-90C is that it removes a lot easier and works on all CPU.

Para

to this day the SP-94 is STILL the best air cooler ever made, bar none. Moving to the 90c is just a stupid waste.

uhh... No. the xp90c is better. Read reviews, and look at overclockers.com thermal ratings.

sp94:
70dba fan .14cw
62dba fan .15cw
52dba fan .18cw

xp90c:
78dba fan .11c/w
72dba fan .11c/w
62dba fan .12cw
51dba fan .13cw

as one can see, the xp90c is a good bit better with lower noise fans. a differance of .05cw

FunkStar said:
to this day the SP-94 is STILL the best air cooler ever made, bar none. Moving to the 90c is just a stupid waste.

Performance is one thing, sure, but the way I see it the XP-90C is more convenient when it comes to mount and remove which is worth the cash IMO. At least, I am happy to know that the XP-90C is as good or just *better*.

Para

Parabellum said:
Performance is one thing, sure, but the way I see it the XP-90C is more convenient when it comes to mount and remove which is worth the cash IMO. At least, I am happy to know that the XP-90C is as good or just *better*.

Para

the xp90c IS better

but the test data states that the xp-90c used a 90mm fan where the sp-94 used a 80mm fan.
if they used the same fan they would probably be the same.

Also the ambient temp of the room was lower in the xp-90c's test than the sp-94's test.

cw. ratings have no effect depending on ambient, if the ambient was the same they would receive the same c/w rating. Also, sp94 has no improvement using a 80mm tornado vs. a 90mm tornado. One can see this if the look up threads that compare the two.

This is true , but again the question by the op was if it was worth the upgrade, the answer would be no, the cooling diffrence between the 2 isnt that great at all, now if he wants a heatsink for 2 years down the road and might be going amd, then hell yes make the change.

Oppy said:
This is true , but again the question by the op was if it was worth the upgrade, the answer would be no, the cooling diffrence between the 2 isnt that great at all, now if he wants a heatsink for 2 years down the road and might be going amd, then hell yes make the change.

I agree, the perf. diff is not worth it.

Back