• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Thermalright SI-120 - Backplate?

jnick

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
2,888
Right now, I have the Zalman 7000B ALCU. However, for Chrismas I'm getting an Opty 170 along with a TR SI-120.

My question is, does the SI-120 come with a backplate or does it just have the top retention bracket? When I installed the Zalman, I had to replace the backplate and the top bracket with their parts, as their screws are monsterous.

I'm wondering if I'm going to have a problem installing the SI-120 now, as I do not have the original backplate that came with my mobo. I have the original top bracket (though the SI-120 comes with it's own.). It's the backplate that has me worried. I don't know if I'm going to need this, even though that says it's for Gigabyte, and I have a MSI Neo2.

Any help is appreciated.
 
For socket 939 platforms, im quessing thats your opty, all you have to do is install the new bracket that comes with the SI-120. I have the Si-120 and did not have to change the backplate or anything, just the retention brackets. Works great, idle around 29, sometines 26 :p
 
All socket 939 motherboards have that backplate, i think, but i am not 100% positive. Just check and see if your mobo is compatiable with the HS. Oh woops you have the K8N neo2, you are fine thats the motherboard i have.
 
No, I know I would be fine.

The issue is, I CURRENTLY have the Zalman 7000B ALCU. That required me to replace the Orginial MSI backplate, and use Zalmans. I'm not sure if the SI-120 will work with the ZALMAN backplate.
 
Do you have a pic of the zalman backplate? IF you DID have to replace if, wouldnt you have the old K8 backplate?
 
No. Why would I keep the old backplate? It's held on with double sided tape. No matter how much I'd preserve it, the tape would have ben non-sticky by now, not to mention, back then, I had no thoughts of changing the HSF.

It's the black thing in the image.
 
I have the XP-120 with a DFI SLI-DR Expert and an A8N-SLI Deluxe board and I never had to change the back plate on the board. The bracket screwed right into it. My friend has the XP90 and he didnt have to change it either w/ the MSI nForce4 Ultra board.
 
Thanks for all the help, but I KNOW the SI-120 works with all K8 backplates. However, I don't have the stock backplate anymore.

I'm pretty sure I'll have to spend the money and get their generic backplate.
 
the Si-120 comes with its own retention bracket. you won't have to purchase a separate one.
 
Back
Top