Thermalright AXP-140 - The new XP-120

Wait, what does this heatsink have to do with Small Form Factor systems? I think that heatsink is bigger than a mini-itx board.

Wait, what does this heatsink have to do with Small Form Factor systems? I think that heatsink is bigger than a mini-itx board.

What does your Mini-ITX board have anything to do with this thread? And I'm actually interested in what this HS will do on an LGA 1366 chip.

Beautiful heatsink. Glad to know it fits into the Lanbox Lite as I've been looking for a good hsf for mine. Though its running a 3Ghz P4 HT right now, so upgrading the mobo and cpu are probably of higher priority for me. Beautiful though.

Any chance someone's can try this on a 775 mATX board alongside OCZ Reaper RAM? I'm hoping it fits underneath. Thanks.

Any chance someone's can try this on a 775 mATX board alongside OCZ Reaper RAM? I'm hoping it fits underneath. Thanks.

assuming you can do a little abstract thinking...Here is a pic of my ram w/ a clearance of 13 mm on top of the ram..So if the cooler is going to overhang your ram slots it will not fit. You can see the specs for the cooler earlier in the thread..but i don't think any ram with oversized cooling would ever fit.

img1897.jpg

assuming you can do a little abstract thinking...Here is a pic of my ram w/ a clearance of 13 mm on top of the ram..So if the cooler is going to overhang your ram slots it will not fit. You can see the specs for the cooler earlier in the thread..but i don't think any ram with oversized cooling would ever fit.

img1897.jpg

If you're worried about ram heatsinks you can do one of two things, based on the photos taken on the extremetech review.

1. Mount the cooler in a way such that it only protrudes over the first ram slot and very slightly over the second. This way, with a little bit of bending of the ram (as seen in the extremetech review) it will fit as long as your NB heatsink doesn't interfere
  2. Cut away/remove the heatspreaders on your ram. I'm personally not too fussed about doing this as even overclocked at 516mhz my patriot vipers (DDR2/800) haven't been warm to the touch.

Anyone know when Thermalright is going to put out the AMD brackets? I've got one now on a Q6600 and it works very well. I've got another rackmount box with an AMD PII 940BE that needs better cooling. I'm going to stick with this once TR puts out the AMD brackets

anyone know is it possible to use this on P5E-VM HDMI and also using dominators ( 4 sticks )?

Anyone know when Thermalright is going to put out the AMD brackets? I've got one now on a Q6600 and it works very well. I've got another rackmount box with an AMD PII 940BE that needs better cooling. I'm going to stick with this once TR puts out the AMD brackets

Actually, I emailed thermalright with the same question and here was their response:

Dear Anthony,

Thank for your mail and sorry for the empty information.
We have the AM2 bracket and will release it as a separate kit very soon.

Best regards
Armand Cheng
Lea-Min Tech., Co., Ltd.
(Thermalright, Taiwan)

----- Original Message -----

- Hide quoted text -
To: [email protected]
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:01 AM
Subject: AXP-140 for AM2+/AM3

Will there be an adapter kit for the AM2+/AM3 socket for this heatsink? I
haven't found any heatsink better than my stock AMD AVC heatsink for my low
profile case. The AXP-140 is close to 2 pounds, which is why I am interested
since there is few heatsinks that weigh more than 400grams, the AMD 9950be
stock heatsink being the one of the few exceptions.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1962
The more metal and the more surface area, the better the thermal
conductivity and heat dissapation, and those are crucial to my needs because
my case has heating issues (lack of vents) and my CPU needs to be kept cool.
Any responce would be greatly appreciated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sweetness. now only time will tell. BTW, that email response was on Mar 12 2009.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I wonder if this will fit in the V350 with the DFI P45 mobo.

Hmmm... I wonder if this will fit in the V350 with the DFI P45 mobo.

It'll fit. You'd probably have to install the heatsink inside of the case (which would not be fun) but it should fit. 70mm tall, it would then be 100mm tall with a fan... the NH-C12P which fits ok is 113mm tall with a fan.

The only issue is clearance with the cooler installed and whether you can slide the motherboard tray out. With the location of the cpu socket on the LP JR, I could not slide the board out with the C12P installed when I had one. I tried mounting the C12P practically every which way and it still didn't have the clearance to clear the back frame of the case to slide out.

I believe the AXP140 is slightly smaller (and more square shaped) than the C12P, so it may work and allow you to slide the board in and out.

I just deployed the AXP-140 in a Lian Li PC-V800. Dropped my temps by 30C from my old zalman cnps-7000-cu.

Fits just fine with a 120x25 fan on it, and an 80x25 on the top vent.

I am VERY impressed and very happy.

can anyone try if it fits in a sugo(especially SG03) and how does it perform in a semi passive setup(aka NT06)

Any chance this would fit in a Lian Li PC-A59B? PSU mounts over the CPU socket taking up 86mm, 70mm for the AXP-140, and I'm not sure how much a motherboard + standoffs or the PSU mounting brackets would subtract. Lian Li says the width is 210mm but I presume that is from the outside and not the clearance inside and I can't find any details anywhere before I buy it just to measure myself. Ideally I could mount a low profile heatsink sans fan and use the PSU to draw heat off the heatsink for a low power setup. e4850 underclocked to 1.6ghz with a Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 possibly. I wish intel's 10w TDP mobiles like the SU9600 were available retail.

can anyone try if it fits in a sugo(especially SG03) and how does it perform in a semi passive setup(aka NT06)

Managed to install an AXP-140 in my new SG03 rig yesterday, managed to fit (just!) and the heatsink slightly blocks off the sata cables to the dvd drive, just managed to fit it all in eventually.

Will get some pics later for you when I can find the charger for my camera...

So here's a quick shot I took whilst setting up yesterday:

sg03axp140.jpg

Setup:

SG03
Intel E8400
Asus P5N7A-VM
Corsair HX450W

sg03termps.png

That's just idle temps, CPU temps are fine but definitely need a better chipset cooler (gonna try fit a Thermalright HR-05 SLI).

I tried this cooler in my lian li pc-v350 build (dfi jr x58/i7 965) and I didn't like it's performance swapped it with a NH-U9B, much better temps.

wow that is a tight fit, can you try load temps and compare it with the NT06

intelburntest.png

Recon the cpu temps will drop a fair bit once I get a proper chipset cooler (nb temp was at 72c load there)

Sorry don't have a NT-06 to compare it with...

So I've installed a Thermalright HR05-SLI IFX chipset cooler, and the chipset temp has dropped from ~65c to ~38c :cool:

sg03hr05sli.png

Hi ppl,

I just built a HTPC with TT Lanbox Lite and AMD Kuma 7750. The stock AMD heatsink fan makes a high pitch noise and I can't stand it! I went in the bios and already changed the fan from 5v to 4v but it's still making too much noise to my liking. I am not overclocking and won't be since this is for HTPC.

Would it be a good idea to install the AXP-140 in my setup (does it have a bracket for socket AM2+)? I'm thinking to run it fanless with the 120mm fan from my psu (Corsair CMPSU-400CX) sucking air above the heatsink. Will the front 90mm fan and back 3x60mm fan be enough air flow to keep the case cool? I removed the HDD bracket and moved my single hdd to the floppy bay and attached a Nexus Frisbee hdd cooler.

Thanks!

Do new shipments of this HSF come WITH the 1366 bracket?

Ive emailed xoxide but havent heard back yet, and dont see it listed as included or for sale on their site, BUT thermalright's site has one listed (bracket)

Do new shipments of this HSF come WITH the 1366 bracket?

I believe the AXP-140 is only sold with the 775 bracket. The 1366 bracket is sold separately.

However, you could go for the Cogage MST-140 which is the cheaper version of the same heatsink. Comes with brackets for both 775 and 1366 and includes a 140mm fan too. The major difference is that it only has 4 heatpipes instead of the 6 that comes with the AXP-140.

Is anyone using the AXP-140 passively inside a Sugo SG05? I've seen pics of it fitting inside a SG05 but no info on temps. If someone has this setup, pls let us know what your temps are for both the cpu and IGP (if you are using onboard graphics).

I just got one last month. Works great..but mounting it in the desired position is impossible with some cases. Once mounted with the heatpipes vetically, the top of the sink overhangs about 1/2" over the top edge of the motherboard. In a SFF case, it will not make a difference how the HSF is mounted. One review I read, showed a +8-10c increase in temps if it is mounted with the heatpipes horizontal instead of vertical like b|gf|sh has it. If it will fit...you should reinstall it with the heatpipes UP. I had to settle for putting in in my case upside down...sorta. Teh heatpipes extend over the motherboard instead of above the top edge. Seems to work fine as I'm getting 28-32c at idle on my Q9550 @ stock speeds. IBT only runs it to the lower 60s. At 4.0ghz 1.4v...it goes over 80c in about 2 minutes and I gotta shut it down. With the side panel off...it stays in the lower 80s and can run the whole test. My Voodoo case is the limiting factor I believe as there is no airflow to speak of with only 2 x 90mm intakes..and ONE 90mm exhaust and no side or top fans. I believe mounted in a nice Antec900 or similar...it would be much better.

img1897.jpg
As for RAM, fitment shouldn't be a big problem. I got some really tall XMS in there and they BARELY fit, but they do. Here are a couple pix to show how big and HOW CLOSE it is.

BTW, the Mobo...Asus P5Q3 Deluxe.

Back