Thermalright 775 Bolts proper alignment

WickedWeasel

Limp Gawd
First time installing a HS using the Thermalright 775 bolt thru kit that is also found on the Thermalright heatsinks.

How do you align it properly and don't move it when mounting?

I put the heatsink on quite close to proper alignment, then I bolted on the first screw, and the entire heatsink moved eventhough I had my other hand pushing on it. By the 2nd screw, the entire heatsink has shifted at least 1/2 inch. I had to move the heatsink back in place for the 3rd screw. I am certain the AS5 is spread unevenly all over the place.

How do you do it? I am thinking of getting 4 screws that fits into the four backplate holes, place the heatsink over those "place holder/alignment screws" then replace them one by one with the proper mounting screws.

I just installed one today and I must say next time I will remove the motherboard. I put the heatsink on like you and inserted 1 screw in the base and tightened it down. I then used a screwdriver to spread the clamps to the correct position. The sink moved a little but with the temps I got I don't think it mattered. I used the shin etsu x23 compound btw.

Back