Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme fan...

Galerius

n00b
So I have one Scythe fan and I just realized I also have a very stupid question...

Do I put the one fan blowing into the cooler or blowing away from it?

I feel about idiotic for asking but some of this is uncharted territory for me.

Also, would the second fan be advisable? What kind of difference would it make on a mildly OC'd i7 920? talking 3 to 3.2 ghz or so max.

If the second fan is advisable, which way do I orient them? both in, both out, one in/out....?

Thanks in advance?

Depends on which side of the HSF you put the fan. If it is closer to the edge of the case it should pull air away from the heatsink (ie pulling air). If it is on the side of the heatsink further from the side (near the ram usually) then it should be pushing air through the heatsink (push). You basically want to orientate the fans so that they are directing air from the heatsink toward another fan or opening so that it can get out of the case.

If you are using two fans, you should have one be pushing and one be pulling (one in and one out as you describe). If you are just mildly overclocking to 3-3.2 though it should be unnecessary to use a second fan unless you live somewhere extremely hot.

Thank you so much for that response. I am hoping to hit a stable simple 3.2 ghz so I will probably not buy the second fan just yet, if I am not happy w/ the temps I will add at least one more.

Silly question I asked, but I just wanted to make sure the logic I was using was correct. You reinforced what I was thinking.

Thanks again for your time.

Thank you so much for that response. I am hoping to hit a stable simple 3.2 ghz so I will probably not buy the second fan just yet, if I am not happy w/ the temps I will add at least one more.

Silly question I asked, but I just wanted to make sure the logic I was using was correct. You reinforced what I was thinking.

Thanks again for your time.

You can probably get to 3.2 ghz with lower than stock voltage. That should help lower your temps even more.

You want the fan pushing through the HS, fans work better at pushing air than pulling the air through. Take a look at any HSF setup, you will see it is a push and not a pull style, the fan should also be pushing air through the HS to the exhaust fan, NOT to the inside of the case.

The TRUE black is supplied with 2 sets of the wire clips, but in the pic above, those are the new fan shrouds that can be purchased from thermalright.

I just put together my i7 system last night and so far am running stable at 3.4 with that same cooler and a single fan. You should be good to go.

I've had my i7 system running at 3.8 Ghz with the TRUE 120 Black and a Scythe 65 CFM fan set in push-through configuration blowing directly into a rear exhaust fan. Depending on which program I use I get wildly varying temperatures, but it is always stable even after 23 sustained hours of blended mode testing in prime95 which was directly preceded by 8 hours of large FFT testing.

RealTemp reports roughly 72C max, Gigabyte's EasyTune monitor reports about 64C and CoreTemp shows highest at 78C. Idle is around 35C. This is with ambient temperatures of around 65F, running in a crappy case with dual 92mm front fans blowing in, a rear 92mm blowing out, a top mounted 120mm blowing out and the psu obviously exhausting air as well.

One thing that helps on the TRUE is to use a wider 120x120x38mm fan instead of the standard 120x12025mm. Due to the tight spacing of the fins in the TRUE, it's harder to push air through the heatsink. The wider fan generates more pressure than standard and really helps with temps.

One thing that helps on the TRUE is to use a wider 120x120x38mm fan instead of the standard 120x12025mm. Due to the tight spacing of the fins in the TRUE, it's harder to push air through the heatsink. The wider fan generates more pressure than standard and really helps with temps.

Any idea if the 38mm fans will fit in the thermalright shroud/box, or do you have to use the clip?

Any idea if the 38mm fans will fit in the thermalright shroud/box, or do you have to use the clip?
I use a Panaflo L1BX - http://www.svc.com/fba12g12l1bx.html

It has open corners, so I use the clips. Looking at the shroud linked here, I don't think it will work with the wider fan, since it seems to use a clip mechanism to hold the fan and is most likely designed to fit the more popular 25mm width. However, I created my own "shroud" by sealing all edges of the fan with duct tape as it attaches to the heatsink, which forces the air through the fins better.

NO, it will not fit a 38mm fan, you need a fan with open corners and the metal clips.

Depends on which side of the HSF you put the fan. If it is closer to the edge of the case it should pull air away from the heatsink (ie pulling air). If it is on the side of the heatsink further from the side (near the ram usually) then it should be pushing air through the heatsink (push). You basically want to orientate the fans so that they are directing air from the heatsink toward another fan or opening so that it can get out of the case.

If you are using two fans, you should have one be pushing and one be pulling (one in and one out as you describe). If you are just mildly overclocking to 3-3.2 though it should be unnecessary to use a second fan unless you live somewhere extremely hot.
I was going to start a new thread with the exact same question, this pretty much solves it for me. Thanks! I will go with the push method since that seems to be what everyone is recommending.

ALSO, anyone interested should buy the HS from here:

http://www.ncixus.com/products/34994/ULTRA-120-1366RT/THERMALRIGHT/

Comes with everything, fans, mounts, bolt-thru kit.

I really didn't like that plastic box fan holder, and epoxied my fan to the cooler. If I ever had to remove the fan, which I might to try the wider 120mm fan size (didn't think about that) it will come right off and a little solvent will dissolve the remnants.

I used a Ultrakaze 120mm 38mm thick Fan/133 CFM 3000 rpm with the shroud without issues. Just pull outward the sides of the shroud a tad and insert fan. Took it off a few days later because of the noise and now using a 2500 rpm fan.

I used a Ultrakaze 120mm 38mm thick Fan/133 CFM 3000 rpm with the shroud without issues. Just pull outward the sides of the shroud a tad and insert fan. Took it off a few days later because of the noise and now using a 2500 rpm fan.

Did the fan shroud add to the noise, or was it just the fact that those 3k RPM fans are stupidly loud? I have two of 'em on my TRUE, though I use a fan controller to keep 'em quiet unless I'm stress testing.

Reason being, I'd love to have a cool shroud to properly mount the fans. I didn't get two sets of clips with mine, and so I've been using an array of carefully placed rubber bands. Believe me, it works well, it just doesn't look clean :D

Back