Thermal paste.

AlexStenka

[H]ard|Gawd
So what do you guys think is the best method, spreading out or doing it like its in this video. For as long as I build PCs I have alwasy spread it out evenly throughout the CPU then i put the heatsink on, I alwasy use a really thin layer. Is it just better to use the cross method and let the weight of the heatsink to the work. Opinions welcome, but only from people who build more then 2 computers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4&feature=related I notice my method seems to produce air bubbles. Interesting.

that clip is probably the best illustration on how to properly apply TIM. after watching it again i realised it was a bit biased against the old AS3 as the poster uses significantly less paste than with silicone. not really the point of the clip tho. regarding the silicone amount, i certainly wouldn't use as much.

the 'X' method is definitely the best imho, i use it whenever i install sinks/waterblocks on cpu's/gpu's/chipsets etc. i'd probably twist and move the sink/block around a bit more than the guy from the clip however.
when i first started building PC's in the 90's, used to use the spread method, wasted a ton of time getting it perfect with a razor blade. now with 'X' method, your done in 2 minutes with far better results.

Put a blob or line in the middle, and then let the heatsink pressure spread it out.

I remember watching that video so many times when I built my first PC. Great example of how each method spreads the TIM around. I just put a blob in the middle of the processor now as opposed to the other methods. I used the line method first and ended up putting way too much on and spent the next 15 minutes cleaning up all the excess. Trial and error mostly, but sometimes the most simple options are the best.

I spread the TIM on the IHS using a Ziploc bag over my hand/finger. Then I do a prelim mount of the heatsink and inspect the contact. Finally I will add/remove additional or excess TIM if needed and install the heatsink.

I used to use the spread method, but recently I've been using the line method (recommended by Arctic for Ceramique 2).

In my experience the pea method works best. I find that when I try spreading out a thin layer on the cpu i tend to put too much compound down and it shows in higher temps. I also feel that the spread method leaves too much opportunity for air bubbles.

I just use the pea method. Sometimes if I'm feeling adventurous I like to spread it across the processor first then put a second coating on. Usually spreading tim is not worth stressing over and it'll yield a few degrees difference at most.

I just use the pea method. Sometimes if I'm feeling adventurous I like to spread it across the processor first then put a second coating on. Usually spreading tim is not worth stressing over and it'll yield a few degrees difference at most.
With respect, sir, a "few degrees" here, and a "few degrees" there can add up to a not-insignificant difference.

I have always coated the entire mating surface of the chip/slug before installing the heatsink but after seeing that video, I believe I may need to reconsider my strategy...

Spreading it is actually a pretty decent method (but most people do it wrong).

Back