Thermal paste reuse

ivesceneenough

Limp Gawd
OK, so i got a new i7 920 system with a scythe mugen 2 cooler on it.

the mobo is DOA. i have got the RMA on its way, the question is:

i obviously just built it, used Arctic silver 5 on it for paste. Obviously havent had any time to burn it in (blasted DOA board!), do i need to clean the old paste off?

thing is, i dont have any cleaner off hand and i know of no stores that aren't +40 minutes away!

what would you do?

thanks!

Use a coffee filter and wipe the grease off. I've never used any thermal grease cleaner at all, never had it affect temps.

If you leave it as is your not going to get good contact with the cpu, plus you'll have air bubbles.

I'd just buy a bottle of 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and use that to clean it up. Works great and you can buy a huge bottle for like $2.

I'd just buy a bottle of 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and use that to clean it up. Works great and you can buy a huge bottle for like $2.
This. Isopropyl alcohol is perfect for cleaning thermal paste. I've used nothing else for years with great results.

I just wipe it off with some kitchen paper... It works well. I mean, I've used Alcohol but only when the stuff has caked on.

The problem about re-use is that you will probably get a bunch of trapped air bubbles. Which is bad.

Same here, ive used the 90% isopropyl for years, works perfect for cleaning the cpu and heatsink and is everywhere and very cheap also

Back