Thermal paste question

OldBuzzard

Gawd
Does thermal paste have a 'service life'?

My system has been running a bit warmer than usual lately, and I'm wondering if I should remove my waterblock, and re-apply the thermal paste? When I installed the waterblock, I used the paste that Koolance supplied.

My water level is good, and I've checked the radiator for dust, etc. and there is nothing out of the ordinary, other than the higher temps. No real difference in the ambient temperature or anything else like that either.

The CPU isn't getting 'that' warm (55C under 100% load), but it is higher than it used to be, and I tend to not like it when something 'abnormal' happens.

I've been using this EXOS for a number of years now (had it on my old 1.2 Athlon), and this is the first time I've seen something like this happen. I've tried to eliminate every cause that I can think of, and the thermal paste is the last thing that I can think of.

Any other ideas would help if anyone has them.

The thermal paste has silicone in it it has a tedency to creap with heat and cold could have an air pocket.check out the hardoc home page reviews look up thermal paste you might find it interesting I did.
pcnerdguy

yes, thermal paste does have an optimal service life.

try lifting that blcok, cleaning that bad boy up with some 99% iso alchohol and lint free optical tissues, and applying a bit of sweet sweet arctic silver 5 lovin'

it's not like you need to go changing your paste every few weeks or anything, just make sure to clean it well when you do change it. NO DUST, NO LINT.

maybe do it twice a year?

This has been on for about a year now, so maybe I'm over-due for re-freshing it :eek:

I'm going to be putting in a 200G Maxtor SATA HDD in the next day or 2, so I guess that would be a good time to do it :D :D

Back