Thermal Paste installing LGA775?

shrumhead

Gawd
Maybe this is a dumb question, if so then excuse me :) I was curious as to if you needed thermal paste (artic silver) when installing the new lga775 socket CPUs? I am not all to framiliar with pentiums, infact this machine I am putting together for a friend will be the first pent system I have ever put together.

shrumhead said:
Maybe this is a dumb question, if so then excuse me :) I was curious as to if you needed thermal paste (artic silver) when installing the new lga775 socket CPUs? I am not all to framiliar with pentiums, infact this machine I am putting together for a friend will be the first pent system I have ever put together.

well, you need some sort of thermal interface material (TIM). It can be thermal paste, thermal pads, thermal tape, or thermal grease, as long as it's rated for those sorts of products.

if you're buying the processor Retail (not OEM), then the heatsink comes with pre-applied thermal gunk. i'd just use that if you'r enot too concerned with maximum performance or overclocking.

if you're buying OEM, then you'll need to buy both a heatsink/fan and thermal interface material. i'd suggest arctic silver 5, just make sure you read the instructions very carefully on how to apply it.

Back