Thermal paste in my socket...

SUFFERING SUCCOTASH!!
As a professional electronics technician, I have to say that half of the suggestions in this thread have me cringing in my seat!!

DO NOT use brake cleaner. It is very aggressive and can ruin plastics.
Simple Green will most likely leave residue in and under the socket.

Do we actually know that alcohol is a solvent for AS5?...Most thermal pastes I've come in contact with are oily, which alcohol won't really do anything for.
Actually, Isopropyl Alcohol WILL dissolve most thermal greases. For the record Isopropyl Alcohol and Methanol Alcohol are the ONLY cleaners acceptable by NASA for electronics. :p
At this point i'm thinking i may just toss the board.
NOOOOOOOO!!!!
Before if comes to that, send the board to me and I'll see if I can help you out.

I work on very sensitive electronics every day. Not your typical commercial electronics... high tech drivers that get used in critical space applications.
In my lab, I have a wash tank that is filled with Semiconductor Grade IPA, 100% pure. It's sole purpose is to soak electronic boards to remove any contamination and to absorb moisture from the components. Our standard procedure is to soak the board for 24 hours(ish), blow out the residue with 100% pure, inert nitrogen, and then inspect for residual contamination under a high magnification video scope.
I would gladly dunk your board for you and send it back cleaner than the day it was made. :)
You would just need to pay the shipping.

If you're interested, send me PM.

SUFFERING SUCCOTASH!!
As a professional electronics technician, I have to say that half of the suggestions in this thread have me cringing in my seat!!

DO NOT use brake cleaner. It is very aggressive and can ruin plastics.
Simple Green will most likely leave residue in and under the socket.

Actually, Isopropyl Alcohol WILL dissolve most thermal greases. For the record Isopropyl Alcohol and Methanol Alcohol are the ONLY cleaners acceptable by NASA for electronics. :p

NOOOOOOOO!!!!
Before if comes to that, send the board to me and I'll see if I can help you out.

I work on very sensitive electronics every day. Not your typical commercial electronics... high tech drivers that get used in critical space applications.
In my lab, I have a wash tank that is filled with Semiconductor Grade IPA, 100% pure. It's sole purpose is to soak electronic boards to remove any contamination and to absorb moisture from the components. Our standard procedure is to soak the board for 24 hours(ish), blow out the residue with 100% pure, inert nitrogen, and then inspect for residual contamination under a high magnification video scope.
I would gladly dunk your board for you and send it back cleaner than the day it was made. :)
You would just need to pay the shipping.

If you're interested, send me PM.

I wish you had posted this 2 days ago... i threw away the board. But, on the plus side, i am convinced that it was fried anyway. Replacing my motherboard made my system work (without replacing anything else). So the cleaning wouldn't have helped anyway.

Feel free to sell it next time, I am more than willing to put the time into a cleanup that would have fixed it.

For any future folks with the same problem, consider getting a can of flux remover or flux cleaner. It is usually very similar to the spray cleaners for electronics which one or two earlier posters mentioned.

Flux remover is made to remove the residual solder flux from boards and parts after soldering. Hence, it would most likely be very safe to use on a circuit board and in a socket (not so good for your lungs though). If it were my board I would have sprayed with flux remover and then possibly followed up with isopropyl alcohol to remove any residual flux remover. The 91% isopropyl available at the grocery or drug store is fine, provided it does not have any additives. Sure it has a little more water than anhydrous, but it all evaporates with time.

Back